Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Usyk Dominates Gassiev To Unify WBC, WBA, WBO, IBF Titles

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most anticipated fight of the year turned out to be the fight of a man against a machine who slapped him silly for 12 rounds.

Comment

• sorry I could not see this one it sounded good but the big thing in my opinion is there is one Champion for all the organizations and this should how this is how it should be for all the divisions ...we need to have one champ only and get the organization's to get along but that will never happen...

Comment

• Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post
        Respect to Usyk for defending in Russia and representing like a true champion.

A boring fight however, I was not impressed by Usyk, more dissapointed in Gassiev lack of effort; most of Usyk's punches just pinned Gassiev hands to his high-guard looking flashy but doing little damage -- basic fundamentals. For all the punches Usyk thrown if he had real power he might of got Murat out of there ; but Usyk seems to be pillow-fisted and this is the dull type of performances that I expect from the Ukrainian from now on, congratulations.
        You are making that same mistake that I made when I was newer to boxing, which is believing that any punch that doesnt wobble someone or make them show visible hurt did not hurt them. I remember watching Floyd fights when I was newer to boxing and the commentators would say, "his jab to the body really hurts," and I thought they were just being corrupt Floyd shills since, obviously, the commentators are often corrupt and shills even despite me being wrong about this. Now when I rewatch a Floyd fight and see his jab to the stomach, I'm like damn, look at the snap on that thing, that's like a power punch.

It's crazy Im about to speak about both Floyd, and Ward's trainer, in a positive light in the same post, but if you dont believe me, let me relay something Virgil Hunter said in an interview about the Algieri vs Provodnikov fight. He said that even though Algieri doesnt have power, and even though Algieri was only landing jabs, just the simple motion of the jab pushing Provodnikov's head back over and over again was creating a whiplash effect in the brain that can then cause your stomach to feel nauseous. I saw Gassiev pointing to his stomach by the 4th or 5th round in the corner, by the way, motioning to his trainer.

So my point is, these "slaps" are part of Lomachenko and Usyk's game because it allows them to artificially increase punch output without using the energy that it would require to throw that many punches at full power. Usyk threw more punches than the average featherweight in this fight I believe. That would not be physically possible if every shot was hard. The slaps have other uses too as probes, making Usyk more unpredictable, and so on.

But that's not the main point. The main point is, the slaps and jabs may not look like much, but they are doing damage. The jabs are creating whiplash. They are also psychologically conditioning the opponent not to throw punches. It's like an animal in a lab that gets shocked for some experiment. The slaps might not be wobbling the opponent, but it physically hurts. That's the other basic mistake I made early as a boxing fan, thinking only of boxers being hurt in terms of whether they were getting wobbled or knocked out, not thinking about the human element of pain. I guess I assumed because there were padded gloves on the fists, that the punches did not actually hurt TOO much in terms of like sharp pain from something hard hitting you, but rather it was only the impact and weight overall that could knock you out or break your nose or something which would obviously hurt, but otherwise I assumed it would be more like taking a big impact from a big heavy pillow or something, but not sharp pain from a sharp object.

That, obviously, is wrong as well. So Gassiev got conditioned hundreds and hundreds of times with physical pain being inflicted every time he threw a punch and got countered, or made any mistake. That plays a part as well.

And most of all, knockouts don't just come through power, they come through fatigue. They might not be throwing knockout bombs, but they are throwing hard enough to tire out your body, especially Lomachenko's body shots but Usyk as well. Gassiev made it 12 rounds but don't understimate Usyk, he was close to stopping Gassiev. If the fight had been 15 rounds, it's probably a knockout for Usyk.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ajvar View Post
          Most people in Kyiv also speak russian but that sht is just historically based from USSR and punishment against native ukrainians.

Also your friend might be from Same semi-annexed state of Moldova called Pridnestrovie. Russia has their forces in that part of Moldova as russia does everywhere. Their tactics is to grow a political cell in one country and then throw army which will back up that cell and small minoroty of people (all the dumbest ones). Usually Russia took part of that country and got instability in that country which could use politically.

You could read about USSR - Finland war. Those mfers got raped by Finland army on skies.
          He's coming over today I'll ask him. He told me his father worked as an engineer for the old Soviet Union

Comment

• Originally posted by Raggamuffin View Post
            Usyk makes my pfp top 10
            How generous of you lol. At this point, I think every credible list has to start...

1. Loma
            2. Usyk

I mean, I am a fan of big punchers, but GGG is past prime now. He's lost speed and power, and to generate close to the power he used to have, he has to wind up way bigger now and it becomes very predictable. He doesnt have the quick snappy punches with no fluff like he used to, that you need to be elite. I was watching his old fights the other day and it was so apparent when you compare side to side with his last few fights, GGG is so much slower.

So I think Loma and Usyk have to be above GGG. Who else is really in the conversation? Usyk and Loma are very similar to Crawford its just they do almost everything even better than Crawford does. They are like more refined more technical versions of Crawford, except Usyk is 50 pounds bigger than Crawford yet is just as fast, throws way more punches, has proven his chin more than Crawford has, and has fought and beaten much better opponents than Crawford has.

That's what it so messed up with so many P4P lists. They have Crawford #1 or #2 just because he's American, but on merit Usyk should be ahead based on anything you look at. There's not one category of consideration that you could put Crawford ahead of him. Usyk has the better resume in less fights, has beaten better fighters, has been equally dominant as Crawford, throws more and lands more but gets hit the same or less, was a better amateur, etc etc. So it presents a big problem where either people need to drop Crawford, or move Usyk up way higher, if they want their lists to make sense. But Ive seen many people havent done that.

Comment

• Originally posted by j0zef View Post
              I have ko idea where people are comparing this to Calzaghe vs lacy to. Lacy got demolished and was bleeding heavily by the 6th. Gassiev got outboxed but at no point was he ever close to hurt, and his face is basically untouched.

Usyk showed that boxing is first and foremost a sport. And he's very good at it.
              Gassiev was never wobbled but he was getting beat up and worn down pretty good. If it was a 15 round fight I think it gets stopped in the 14th or 15th. Abel brought up "do you want me to stop it?" as early as like the 5th, so obviously Usyk was doing something.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCell8 View Post
                Andre Ward is the only other fighter at 6'0 or above that can compare with Usyk's footwork.

It's embarrassing to watch the lumbering oafs known as the Heavyweights and then watch someone like Usyk. It shows the deep gap in talent level.
                If Ward comes back and fights at cruiserweight, I hope all his put the pressure on him and let him know that if he fights at cruiserweight but refuses to fight Usyk, he's a chump. That would be a good fight and Ward has always ducked athletic opponents his whole career, ESPECIALLY athletic southpaws. I doubt he will change that to challenge the biggest and best one of all the ones he could have fought (like Bute, prime Stevenson), but once again that's why I was never a Ward fan. Im just saying, if he DOES come back as a cruiserweight, I hope his fans put the pressure on and let him know that his legacy will take a hit if he ducks the best in the division.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxing Logic View Post
                  Gassiev was never wobbled but he was getting beat up and worn down pretty good. If it was a 15 round fight I think it gets stopped in the 14th or 15th. Abel brought up "do you want me to stop it?" as early as like the 5th, so obviously Usyk was doing something.
                  He was trying to light a fire under Gassiev. Dude was nowhere near being stopped in the 12th, let alone 5th.

People spitting Calzaghe/Lacy comparisons either never seen the actual fight or are spitting some BS agenda. Lemieux vs. BJS was 50x closer to that.

Comment

• Wish Gassiev would have risked getting KOed once, instead of losing such a wide decision

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxing Logic View Post
                      If Ward comes back and fights at cruiserweight, I hope all his put the pressure on him and let him know that if he fights at cruiserweight but refuses to fight Usyk, he's a chump. That would be a good fight and Ward has always ducked athletic opponents his whole career, ESPECIALLY athletic southpaws. I doubt he will change that to challenge the biggest and best one of all the ones he could have fought (like Bute, prime Stevenson), but once again that's why I was never a Ward fan. Im just saying, if he DOES come back as a cruiserweight, I hope his fans put the pressure on and let him know that his legacy will take a hit if he ducks the best in the division.
                      Why wouldn't Ward fight him? He cleared out 168 then moved up and beat the Boogeyman at 175. You're talking nonsense. And Ward ducked bum ass Bute now according to you? Lol moron.

Comment

Working...
                      X