No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Pavlik: I Would Rather Have Fought Froch Than Calzaghe

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sid-Knee View Post
    When the fight was signed it was 60/40 in favour of Calzaghe to win. Plenty of people thought Jones would win the fight. Lennox and Hopkins being two of them. Plenty of people on forums picked Jones. So stop trying to rewrite history.
    How am I rewriting history?

Yes, a few fighters thought that Roy would win. But just as many also believed that Joe would win.

Do you think that Joe would have been the favourite if Roy had been anywhere near his best?

Do you think that Joe would have gotten anywhere near a 50/50 split if Roy had been anywhere near his best?

Yes, there were fans who picked Roy to win. But I've spoken to many of them across 3 forums, and many have admitted since that it was through nostalgia and the fact that they just wanted him to win. There were also many other fans who knew that Roy was shot.

The fight was a joke.

It was meaningless, just like the Hopkins rematch.

It was a huge flop on PPV.

Roy was coming into the ring off of the back of a U/D win over a 172 pound Tito who'd been inactive for 3 years. He was 3-3 in his previous 6, he'd been knocked out by Johnson over 4 years earlier, and he was 9 weeks from his 40th birthday.

Here's what Joe had to say about Roy:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...6AEwAXoECAAQAQ

https://youtu.be/AWDtzdAYTOA

(6 mins, 30 secs)

Joe took the fight because he desperately wanted a legend on his resume before he retired.

The Pavlik fight was bigger and much more relevant.
    Last edited by robertzimmerman; 06-20-2018, 04:49 AM.

Comment

When the fight was signed it was 60/40 in favour of Calzaghe to win. Plenty of people thought Jones would win the fight. Lennox and Hopkins being two of them. Plenty of people on forums picked Jones. So stop trying to rewrite history.
      joe wrote that history though, he said years before that he would hate to end his career facing the now shot jones. The guy you are defending is saying that you are wrong!

you do realise thats a reflection of show how relatively poor calzaghe was seen as?

to be rated 60/40 over a shot fighter.... thats weakazz for someone finishing their legacy.

A fight with anyone top ten would be more relevant than jones.
      Last edited by DreamFighter; 06-20-2018, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JcLazyX210 View Post
        You are not losing the rounds you are giving it away. Once you win 7 rounds the fight is over mathematically unless you get dropped. 7/12 rounds it's over. You basically are walking it out. Taylor had his own 10-8 also. I had him ahead on the cards by two rounds. Two judges had it 106 for Taylor.
        Yeah but you are implying the fight was a walk in the park when it wasn't.

You said he won every round, you retracted that but still implied he dominated the fight when he didn't so anywhere close to that.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          Yeah but you are implying the fight was a walk in the park when it wasn't.

You said he won every round, you retracted that but still implied he dominated the fight when he didn't so yanywhere close to that.
          Either you had Froch leading into the 12 or not that’s it dude. I had Taylor up by two. There’s no more to go back and forth with . two judges had him ahead. I tried to explain a walk to me is not the same as a walk in a park. You are not from America so don’t try to guess my slang. I can write it out in French if thats better for you.

One more time I had Taylor up , if he just walked it out and clutched he would had won 106/107.

Comment

Either you had Froch leading into the 12 or not that’s it dude. I had Taylor up by two. There’s no more to go back and forth with . two judges had him ahead. I tried to explain a walk to me is not the same as a walk in a park. You are not from America so don’t try to guess my slang. I can write it out in French if thats better for you.

One more time I had Taylor up , if he just walked it out and clutched he would had won 106/107.
            I don't need to guess because you said Taylor won every round

You can say the same for any fight where a guy came from behind and got the KO.

Fact is, Taylor was up but the fight was competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              I don't need to guess because you said Taylor won every round

You can say the same for any fight where a guy came from behind and got the KO.

Fact is, Taylor was up but the fight was competitive.
              I was being dramatic. Anybody who watched the fight knew he didn't win every round and clearly I said on this post I had him 106 that means froch did win rounds. It was competitive only because Taylor doesnt know defensive.

So it's clear Taylor was up (winning). And probably would had won if he clutched . Thanks for the discussion.

Comment

I was being dramatic. Anybody who watched the fight knew he didn't win every round and clearly I said on this post I had him 106 that means froch did win rounds. It was competitive only because Taylor doesnt know defensive.

So it's clear Taylor was up (winning). And probably would had won if he clutched . Thanks for the discussion.
                If my auntie had wheels she'd be a bike.

It's irrelevant.

He wasn't miles ahead in the fight.

Comment

There is only one of them getting knocked out, and it isn't Froch. If none of the fighters Froch fought couldn't come close to doing it, then Pavlik sure as hell wasn't going to do it. Froch wins, he's the superior fighter.
                  If Taylor could hurt him, Pavlik, who punches hard and precise with both hands, would have KO'd him.

He would not run around and outpoint you; he would stay in the pocket and keep operating on your corpse, like he did Miranda. Froch doesn't know how to box, his style was made for Pavlik.

It's the defense that decides the final outcome at the higher level: Froch just wouldn't pass the test.

Comment

Originally posted by epyh View Post
                    If Taylor could hurt him, Pavlik, who punches hard and precise with both hands, would have KO'd him..
                    "wouldhave" based on a single knockdown in the mans career till then?

or "never knocked out" based on "never knocked out"?

take your pick, I know which one I'd prescribe to.

Comment

Originally posted by epyh View Post
                      If Taylor could hurt him, Pavlik, who punches hard and precise with both hands, would have KO'd him.

He would not run around and outpoint you; he would stay in the pocket and keep operating on your corpse, like he did Miranda. Froch doesn't know how to box, his style was made for Pavlik.

It's the defense that decides the final outcome at the higher level: Froch just wouldn't pass the test.
                      Taylor didn't hurt Froch though, he just dropped him. Pavlik on the other hand was hurt by both Taylor and Hopkins. Froch would do more than hurt him.

Staying in front of Froch isn't exactly the right thing to do. He'll be able to get all of his shots off which spells trouble for Pavlik.

Yes, because Miranda and Froch are so alike. Miranda is a bum, who cares if Pavlik beat him.

Froch does know how to box. Check out his fights with Abraham, Groves 2, Kessler 2 and the last 4 rounds with Pascal. Froch did like to go to war but if he really wanted to he could settle down and box at a pretty good level.

Froch is more proven for a reason. He's just the superior fighter. Pavlik would just be another top fighter that Froch beats, like he did most of his career. The same can't be said of Pavlik because he just wasn't on the same level as Froch.

Comment

Working...
                      X