Comments Thread For: Kovalev is Pulling For Badou Jack To Defeat Adonis Stevenson
Collapse
-
Comment
-
funny how everyone argued Adonis duckd kov but when kov did the same thing Adonis did it was excused. they both ducked eachother if that's the case... thing is kov was a free agent he could have made the fight!Comment
-
I notice you didn't call me a liar. What's wrong with having a brand new account? At one time your account was new lol. I can't have a life outside of the Internet ? You need to get out more and enjoy life. This site isn't the only cool thing on earth :0Comment
-
The network bid was useless as Kovalev was going to fight on HBO any way it goes. The thing is that Stevenson's camp knew that and exploited it with the purse bid nonsense.Comment
-
Kovalev shouyld've been rooting for Main Events to win that purse bid
Sergey Kovalev bails on Adonis Stevenson's purse bid order
http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/i...urse-bid-orderApril 15, 2015:
Just when it looked like the path was relatively clear for the light heavyweight unification showdown between champion Adonis Stevenson and three-belt owner Sergey Kovalev, a big wrench was thrown in the plans on Tuesday.
The fight is by far the most anticipated in the 175-pound weight class, but the chances that it comes off this fall as many hoped were greatly diminished when Main Events CEO Kathy Duva, Kovalev's promoter, decided against participating in a WBC-mandated purse bid on Friday in Mexico City.
The WBC, whose belt Stevenson holds, made the very unusual move of making the winner of the Kovalev-Jean Pascal fight on March 14, which Kovalev won by eighth-round knockout, the mandatory challenger for Stevenson.
Sanctioning bodies do not rank other organizations' titleholders, but WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman said he wanted to see the fight happen for the good of boxing and made the move, which was music to Kovalev's ears because he has been chasing Stevenson for more than a year. Last year, Main Events thought they had a deal only to watch as Stevenson, under the guidance of adviser Al Haymon, went in another direction and got crushed for it in the court of public opinion.
But after Stevenson (26-1, 21 KOs), 37, of Montreal, retained the title by one-sided decision against Sakio Bika on April 4, he and promoter Yvon Michel, whom Kovalev and Duva had accused of ducking the fight, professed their desire to make the match, be it to negotiate terms or let it go to a purse bid, where the promoter with the biggest offer would win the promotional rights.
Then Duva announced that she would not participate in the bidding process, which came as a surprise considering how much she dogged Stevenson for supposedly avoiding the fight.
Duva, the one who initially suggested that the WBC make Kovalev the mandatory at the organization's annual convention late last year, said that while she and Kovalev very much want to make the fight, Kovalev is under exclusive contract to HBO, which would not allow him to fight on another network. Stevenson is backed by Haymon, who could bankroll a big bid by Michel and put the fight on Showtime or one of the networks on which his Premier Boxing Champions series appears, such as NBC, CBS or ESPN, whose deal begins in July.
Most believe that if the fight did go a purse bid, Main Events would have no prayer of winning because even if HBO backed the bid it would not be enough to beat Haymon, whose PBC investor war chest is believed to be worth far more than $100 million...
Duva also wrote to Michel and outlined a proposal to make the fight without the purse bid but insisting the fight be on HBO.
"Sergey has a contract with HBO and he will be fighting on HBO. If Adonis doesn't want to do that, God bless him," she told ESPN.com. "Sergey is the best light heavyweight in the world. If Adonis wants to prove he's the best he's going to have to fight Sergey and he's going to have to do it on terms that are doable under Sergey's HBO contract."
Not so fast, Michel said.
"Bring the proposal from HBO and I bring a proposal from a PBC-affiliated network and we go where it has the most value," he said. "I'm willing to negotiate but she has to be willing to maximize the revenue. If she doesn't want to do that then stop trying to make everyone believe we tried to avoid Kovalev. When the WBC decided to name the winner of Kovalev-Pascal the mandatory we were on board and we are not backing out. Let's go with the network that can put up the most money."
http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/i...urse-bid-order
Comment
-
The article is from ESPN, not Stevenson's camp! Who asked for the purse bid? Duva! Then what happened? She pulled out!Kovalev was an HBO fighter and Stevenson and his promoters knew it. They also knew that Kovalev couldn't be ranked in the WBC because he was already a multi-belt titlist for other organizations. That article is more smoke and mirror games by Stevenson's camp to appear as though they weren't avoiding the fight when he purposely resigned with Showtime when he knew that fight was coming up.
HE'S A DUCKER! PERIOD!Comment
-
So Kovalev, when he was a free agent, decided it was more important to sign with HBO then fight Stevenson. Sorry, that doesn’t mean Stevenson ducked.Comment
-
Here we go again with the salty truth and the fake news nonsense... Gotta remember who did what and frankly Stevenson got screwed by both Hopkins and Kovalev at specific times... Of course he didn't push too much in between but the facts are there for those 2 fights that should have/didn't happen...
For Kovalev to hope for a Jack win says a lot about why he as been all talk and no balls about Stevenson for a little while now...Comment
-
Lol ! By me stating that you're a troll spitting nonsense is calling you a liar or delusional. (or both)
And the new account most of the time means that your previous account was most likely banned lol and for good reason. If that doesn't include you, I apologize sir. Glad to have you aboard. Your opinion is not as welcome though. (in my opinion)Comment
Comment