Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Golovkin retired today, would he be a HOFer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If he retired today, yes...if he loses to Canelo in the rematch, doubtful he gets in.

Comment

Originally posted by KingHippo View Post
      Just read another d1cksucking thread from DramaShow who seems to believe GGG is a HOFer already. What's your opinion on this? Would he be a first ballot hall of famer if he retired today?
      Somebody asked that question in one of Breadman Edward's mail bags, and the answer was yes, of course GGG will be in the HOF. What unified MW champion with 19 title defences isn't in the hall of fame?

And before anybody starts coming at me with WBA regular title doe ... take it up with Breadman. I'm only passing on what he said.

Comment

Depends on what criteria you are using to get in. You're saying he was only a champion in one weight class...yet just about every HW inducted in the IBHOF only fought in one weight class. Lloyd Marshall was never a champion but fought and defeated some great fighters, Lazlo Papp was inducted largely on his amateur record since communism in Hungary forced him to retire early as a pro before he could get a title shot. So does GGG's outstanding Amateur record count for anything?

Truth is there are a lot of fighters in the HOF who only fought in one weight class. Even non-HW's.

Comment

Yes, he deserves it for his sheer dominance of the MW division

Comment

Yes. Some of you have clouded judgement because of hate, he's proven to be the best middleweight for years. Far lesser fighters have gotten in

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
              He tied Wilfredo Gomez record of consecutive KO's in title fights. The never fighting outside of his division is irrelevant. Hagler never broke any record or fought outside of his division he's still one of the top 20 fighters that ever lived.

GGG's competition hasn't been that special though but I think he'd get voted in no problem. Would he deserve it? I'd say yes. I think he beat Canelo pretty clearly as do most.
              I think him not fighting outside his division is very relevant because of his sup par level of competition. If he had at least one marquee fight he clearly won, we could overlook it.

Also, I really don't value hypotheticals, prefer to go with stats. And stats show he didn't win the Canelo fight.

So you have a fighter who's 3 best fights are against a welterweight moving 2 divisions up (yikes), a close fight with a non p4p fighter in Jacobs and a controversial draw against Canelo. As far as records goes, consecutive kos in title fights is as irrelevant as it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnston View Post
                Yes. Some of you have clouded judgement because of hate, he's proven to be the best middleweight for years. Far lesser fighters have gotten in
                Originally posted by True That View Post
                Yes, Triple G would get in.

They inducted Arturo Gatti.

How do you induct Arturo Gatti and not Triple G?

That is all.
                I don't think it's hate, he simply doesn't have a marquee fight to justify his induction. Remember, we're talking about the Hall of FAME here, hence why lesser fighters have been inducted. If it wasn't for the Gatti-Ward fight, Gatti would've have been inducted either. Where's Golovkin's Tito-Hopkins, Gatti-Ward, Hagler- Hearns?

Truth is he struggled against fighters who will be forgotten by history, like Jacobs. This dispelled the misconception that he was dominant because he was so great.

Comment

I think him not fighting outside his division is very relevant because of his sup par level of competition. If he had at least one marquee fight he clearly won, we could overlook it.

Also, I really don't value hypotheticals, prefer to go with stats. And stats show he didn't win the Canelo fight.

So you have a fighter who's 3 best fights are against a welterweight moving 2 divisions up (yikes), a close fight with a non p4p fighter in Jacobs and a controversial draw against Canelo. As far as records goes, consecutive kos in title fights is as irrelevant as it gets.

90% of people saw him win vs a PED ridden P4P fighter Clenelo.

That was a dominant win against a very skilled technician who was roided out of his mind.

Comment

I don't think it's hate, he simply doesn't have a marquee fight to justify his induction. Remember, we're talking about the Hall of FAME here, hence why lesser fighters have been inducted. If it wasn't for the Gatti-Ward fight, Gatti would've have been inducted either. Where's Golovkin's Tito-Hopkins, Gatti-Ward, Hagler- Hearns?

Truth is he struggled against fighters who will be forgotten by history, like Jacobs. This dispelled the misconception that he was dominant because he was so great.

There's a lot other figures and fighters that are questionable being in the hall of fame.

Trust, Triple G will be in the Hall of Fame.

Comment

Originally posted by HeadShots View Post
                      90% of people saw him win vs a PED ridden P4P fighter Clenelo.

That was a dominant win against a very skilled technician who was roided out of his mind.
                      Yeah, but that's the people opinion, and quite frankly, I don't give a fock about what the masses say. Only a minority can judge fights correctly.

This is why I prefer to stick to facts only. That takes any subjective factor out of the division.

Comment

Working...
                      X