Comments Thread For: WBC Welterweight Tournament - Eight Fighters Announced

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

War Diaz!!!!

Comment

The names don't really stand out but maybe one of these guys can turn out to be a serious contender. Like discovering new up and coming fighters. I pick Diaz to win it all though. Lawson is a sleeper but he has no defense and Van Herdeen can finally get some attention from this tournament.

Comment

I would like to see Chris Algeri enter the tournament so he can let the tiger out of the cage lol haha haha

Comment

Butaev goes through em all like a hot knife through butter.

Comment

Felix Diaz 19-2 Boxrec #15 The most well known guy in there and gotta be the favourite. Maybe age catches up to him as he's 34 now but looks a level above the rest.
            Lawson 26-1 #67 I might rewatch his loss to Bizier I remember it as a decent scrap.
            Van Heerden 25-2 Not a big puncher but physically strong and good fundamentals. Not world class but I thought he boxed well vs Matthew Hatton and his loss to Spence is no disgrace). Inactive since 2016.
            Radhzad Butaev 8-0 #68 Never seen him fight
            Brad Solomon 27-1 #45 Lost to Ponomarev in an ok fight.
            Timo Schwarzkopf 18-1 boxrec #37. His loss to was to Yigit at 140, his best win on paper was over Junior Witter but reports said that was a robbery.
            Derrieck Cuevas 16-0 #134 Not seen him fight, appeared on a Cotto promotions card but not sure if he's signed to them.
            Baishanbo Nasiyiwula 13-1 Ranked #76 at 140

Curious to see if a few of these names I've not heard of will be a bit special, or more likely just good to watch and coming in determined and hungry. We all knew with the low cash rewards on offer that it wouldn't be big names but we might see some good fights come from it.

Comment

Originally posted by BigZ44 View Post
              Diaz wins this. How are the matchups being determined?
              Supposed to be ranked by fans & then a standard 1 vs 8, 4 vs 5, 2 vs 7 & 3 vs 4 format from there. I don't see that you can vote yet or not seeing where you vote.

Boxrec ranks em like:

(1)Diaz vs (8)Cuevas
              (4)Schwarzkopf vs (5)Butaev
              (2)CVH vs (7)Lawson
              (3)Solomon vs (6)Nasiyiwula

CVH + Lawson are both Holyfield guys doe so I bet that one doesn't happen in the first round (conspiracy alert lol).

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
                Felix Diaz 19-2 Boxrec #15 The most well known guy in there and gotta be the favourite. Maybe age catches up to him as he's 34 now but looks a level above the rest.
                Lawson 26-1 #67 I might rewatch his loss to Bizier I remember it as a decent scrap.
                Van Heerden 25-2 Not a big puncher but physically strong and good fundamentals. Not world class but I thought he boxed well vs Matthew Hatton and his loss to Spence is no disgrace). Inactive since 2016.
                Radhzad Butaev 8-0 #68 Never seen him fight
                Brad Solomon 27-1 #45 Lost to Ponomarev in an ok fight.
                Timo Schwarzkopf 18-1 boxrec #37. His loss to was to Yigit at 140, his best win on paper was over Junior Witter but reports said that was a robbery.
                Derrieck Cuevas 16-0 #134 Not seen him fight, appeared on a Cotto promotions card but not sure if he's signed to them.
                Baishanbo Nasiyiwula 13-1 Ranked #76 at 140

Curious to see if a few of these names I've not heard of will be a bit special, or more likely just good to watch and coming in determined and hungry. We all knew with the low cash rewards on offer that it wouldn't be big names but we might see some good fights come from it.
                Solid breakdown of everyone in the tournament.

I know mfers will say negative sh^t about this tournament, but I'm a fan of the tournament format & think it helps get people invested in guys they might not otherwise be. We still talk about some of those Contender mfers & cats in other tournaments. This ain't a bad thing & I think its fun even when they are non-top 20 guys.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
                  Eight World Class Fighters in the welterweight division have been chosen for the inaugural Jose Sulaiman World Invitational' presented by Evander Holyfield's The Real Deal Boxing in association with the World Boxing Council. The first round of the single elimination tournament will take place on Friday, April 27 at a location to be announced.
                  [Click Here To Read More]
                  A tournament of low level bums.....

Comment

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
                    absolute trash line up
                    did you expect thurman spence and crawford? lol its not being promoted as a high level tourney

basically like the espn boxcino tourney

Comment

Awesome tournament that sets up an immediate guy at #5ish. They'll gain valuable experience against similar level opposition which will prepare them for the Porter's and Garcia's of WW.

Still don't see anyone topping Crawford or Spence at WW...for now

Comment

Working...
                      X