Pirog's win over Jacobs is one of the most underrated wins in boxing history

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedZmaja View Post
    Just rewatched the fight.

That was a technical MASTERCLASS from Pirog.

Now that we know how good Jacobs is (from the GGG fight), Pirog should be given even more credit for his victory. He straight up toyed with a better pre-cancer version of Jacobs.

It's too bad he suffered that injury, I think he would have beaten Golovkin as well.
    First of all, Cancer doesn't grow overnight. It takes time to grow and effect your body. Osteosarcoma effects your nerves, especially those in the legs. In Jacob's case, the tumor damaged his nerves and caused paralysis in his legs.

Thats why he had problems walking and needed a cane during his USO tour of Iraq which was 8 months after the Pirog loss. 10 months after Pirog loss he was getting surgery, if you think he wasn't suffering beforehand you're miserably ******ed.

So yeah, Pirog toyed with a man with Cancer that effected his nerves, especially those in his legs. Pirog is SO awesome!

Pirog retired due to injury. Jacobs got cancer much later. You got facts mixed up.
    Can you prove that? Pirog's injury wasn't career ending. All Pirog had was a ruptured disc. I've got ruptured discs that are completely painless. If he had pain, he could have gotten surgery.

Pirog retired for unknown reasons. Russian Mob probably forced him out because they didn't want him fighting GGG. The fight was set-up actually, then all of a sudden Pirog retires from a back injury thats not remotely close to career ending. Sure, ok people.

Dude, you're just an Eastern Block fanboy. You food is better than ours, your boxers are better than ours, the West is inferior --- typical euro-trash. Lame!
    Last edited by McNulty; 12-22-2017, 02:14 PM.

Comment

that was jacobs pre steroids

Comment

When I watched the fight live, I thought Jacobs did a lot worst than when I watched it afterwards. He had a lot of trouble with Pirog's size and reach. With that being said, Pirog didn't toy with him. It was a good give and take but he was obviously winning. I didn't like the way the fight was stopped. Jacobs was hurt initially, but could've continued if the ref didn't hold him down and waived the fight off. Not saying he would've won the fight. However, he might've lasted 12 rounds. If that win was underrated, then Golovkin got way too much credit for eeking out a "victory" against Jacobs

Comment

It's undoubtedly a good win but it's hard to say where Pirog would have ended up afterwards with certainty. I have a hard time imagining what it would have been like if he fought GGG or whoever else.

Also, how does that Jacobs compare with the Jacobs that fought GGG? Is he generally the same or has he gotten better?

All I can say with comfort is that Pirog was probably quite a bit better than average but anything more than that is hard to justify confidently.
          Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 12-22-2017, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
            that was jacobs pre steroids

Care to share the basis of this allegation?

Comment

Just rewatched the fight.

That was a technical MASTERCLASS from Pirog.

Now that we know how good Jacobs is (from the GGG fight), Pirog should be given even more credit for his victory. He straight up toyed with a better pre-cancer version of Jacobs.

It's too bad he suffered that injury, I think he would have beaten Golovkin as well.
              Corrie Sanders win over Klitchko shreds the Pirog bout.

That South African was gangsta neanderthal with the rugby shoulders

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
                First of all, Cancer doesn't grow overnight. It takes time to grow and effect your body. Osteosarcoma effects your nerves, especially those in the legs. In Jacob's case, the tumor damaged his nerves and caused paralysis in his legs.

Thats why he had problems walking and needed a cane during his USO tour of Iraq which was 8 months after the Pirog loss. 10 months after Pirog loss he was getting surgery, if you think he wasn't suffering beforehand you're miserably ******ed.

So yeah, Pirog toyed with a man with Cancer that effected his nerves, especially those in his legs.

Can you prove that? Pirog's injury wasn't career endning. All Pirog has was a ruptured disc. I've got ruptured discs that are completely painless. If he had pain, he could have gotten surgery.

Pirog retired for unknown reasons. Russian Mob probably forced him out because they didn't want him fighting GGG. The fight was set-up actually, then all of a sudden Pirog retires from a back injury thats not remotely close to career ending. Sure, ok people.

Dude, you're just an Eastern Block fanboy. You food is better than ours, your boxers are better than ours, the West is inferior --- typical euro-trash. Lame!
                Can you prove that?

Comment

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
                  When I watched the fight live, I thought Jacobs did a lot worst than when I watched it afterwards. He had a lot of trouble with Pirog's size and reach. With that being said, Pirog didn't toy with him. It was a good give and take but he was obviously winning. I didn't like the way the fight was stopped. Jacobs was hurt initially, but could've continued if the ref didn't hold him down and waived the fight off. Not saying he would've won the fight. However, he might've lasted 12 rounds. If that win was underrated, then Golovkin got way too much credit for eeking out a "victory" against Jacobs
                  That stoppage is much easier to judge on the video afterwards though.

Jacobs only reacted after the ref waved it off. If you watch it back, he looked out cold until the ref waved it off then pushed him back down. How was the ref meant to know he was going to try to get back up when he was laid on the floor with his eyes closed.

I think he could've got up, that was obvious by his reaction, he seemed pretty coherent but any good ref would have stopped counting and ended the fight when he was laid with his eyes closed. They're not psychic, he wasn't to know Jacobs was suddenly about to try and get up, he looked out cold at the time.

Comment

On 25 August 2012, Pirog was stripped of his title by the WBO after choosing to fight WBA and IBO middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin instead of WBO interim champion Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam.[9] During training for the Golovkin fight, Pirog suffered a serious back injury—a ruptured disc—which forced cancellation of the fight.[10] Several comeback attempts by Pirog were thwarted by ongoing back problems, effectively forcing his premature retirement.

Injury stopped an ATG-level career. Golovkin dodged a bullet here.

Pirog would clown Canelo, Saunders and Golovkin if he was still around and was even remotely close to his prime. Or move up to 168 and clean the division there.
                    that's real unfortunate. it'd be a different landscape at 160 for sure if he was still around, definitely.

Comment

Pirog retired due to injury. Jacobs got cancer much later. You got facts mixed up.
                      Again cancer is a slow insidious disease you don’t get cancer like an infection. You’ve always had it. It just had to get to a point where your body can’t control or suppress it any longer. Cancer is your own cells. If anything in the future Jacobs will probably discover a tumor again in his body. It’s in his genes and you can’t change your genetics.

Comment

Working...
                      X