No announcement yet.

Pirog's win over Jacobs is one of the most underrated wins in boxing history

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great thread/post.

Pirog was one of my favorite fighters, and I miss him..

He was the complete package - one shot'n'drop power, speed, dexterity, agility, defense, IQ...

Shame about his injury, and how he faded into obscurity to the point people forget he even retired.

The MW/SMW (he probably would have eventually moved up) landscape would be a much different place had he stayed healthy; I think he very well could have beaten GGG in GGG's HBO debut (before he had to pull out, and was replaced).

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
      Can you prove that?
      I can not prove that, that's why I used the word 'probably' as I thought the reader would understand the implication.

Pure speculation on my part but not a horribly bad guess either. The departure was vague which add's quite a bit of mystery.

Comment

Jacobs was winning the fight before the KO

Comment

Originally posted by DJS View Post
          Jacobs was winning the fight before the KO
          Pirog schooled him, controlled the ring and the pace, walked him down, made him miss and hurt him in the second round.

"Jacobs was winning the fight"

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
            First of all, Cancer doesn't grow overnight. It takes time to grow and effect your body. Osteosarcoma effects your nerves, especially those in the legs. In Jacob's case, the tumor damaged his nerves and caused paralysis in his legs.

Thats why he had problems walking and needed a cane during his USO tour of Iraq which was 8 months after the Pirog loss. 10 months after Pirog loss he was getting surgery, if you think he wasn't suffering beforehand you're miserably ******ed.
            Yeah 8 months after. He had no problems before and during the Pirog fight. He was the massive favorite going into the fight due to his impressive performances prior to it. After the Pirog fight he won 2 fights. You can't prove anything about his condition during the Pirog fight so everything you post is just pure speculation and whining. Keep bringing up pathetic excuses for the schooling Pirog gave him.

You Americans are pathetic with your excuses.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigLug View Post
              That stoppage is much easier to judge on the video afterwards though.

Jacobs only reacted after the ref waved it off. If you watch it back, he looked out cold until the ref waved it off then pushed him back down. How was the ref meant to know he was going to try to get back up when he was laid on the floor with his eyes closed.

I think he could've got up, that was obvious by his reaction, he seemed pretty coherent but any good ref would have stopped counting and ended the fight when he was laid with his eyes closed. They're not psychic, he wasn't to know Jacobs was suddenly about to try and get up, he looked out cold at the time.
              The boy was badly concussed. He didn't know where he was.

The ref saved him.

Comment

Originally posted by RedZmaja View Post
                You can't prove anything about his condition during the Pirog fight so everything you post is just pure speculation and whining. Keep bringing up pathetic excuses for the schooling Pirog gave him.

You Americans are pathetic with your excuses.
                You obviously don't understand how cancer works and develops. There is a reasonable argument he was becoming symptomatic at that time.

You Americans? Troll racebaiting again I see.

Comment

How can anyone say jacobs was winning the fight before the KO is beyond me. Did you guys even watch the fight?

Roger Mayweather was right when he said "most people don't know shlt about boxing"

Pirog was schooling jacobs BAD that night. The level disparity was blatantly obvious that night.

You guys have to understand that Jacobs was the HBO backed fighter at that time so the bias was there. The unofficial scorecards and commentating was laughable. But it works as it fooled most people as seen on here by the casuals parroting the bullshlt hbo was spewing that night.

"Jacobs was winning the fight before the KO"

Comment

Originally posted by lizard_man View Post
                    How can anyone say jacobs was winning the fight before the KO is beyond me. Did you guys even watch the fight?

Roger Mayweather was right when he said "most people don't know shlt about boxing"

Pirog was schooling jacobs BAD that night. The level disparity was blatantly obvious that night.

You guys have to understand that Jacobs was the HBO backed fighter at that time so the bias was there. The unofficial scorecards and commentating was laughable. But it works as it fooled most people as seen on here by the casuals parroting the bullshlt hbo was spewing that night.

"Jacobs was winning the fight before the KO"
                    I think Pirog was winning - but I can also see why some people would think Jacobs was winning.

Pirog never looked in trouble, was stalking, making Jacobs miss and landed a few good shots - whereas Jacobs was more active in throwing punches and landing - even if you could make the argument that Pirog's shots were better placed and that he looked more in control.

It's kind of like how judging Canelo vs GGG could go either way - it's open to interpretation and every judge has their own scoring criteria just as every ref has their own way of enforcing rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Shontae De'marc View Post
                      I think Pirog was winning - but I can also see why some people would think Jacobs was winning.

Pirog never looked in trouble, was stalking, making Jacobs miss and landed a few good shots - whereas Jacobs was more active in throwing punches and landing - even if you could make the argument that Pirog's shots were better placed and that he looked more in control.

It's kind of like how judging Canelo vs GGG could go either way - it's open to interpretation and every judge has their own scoring criteria just as every ref has their own way of enforcing rules.
                      Did you watch the fight or just the highlight reel?

I saw the schooling pirog gave jacobs live. Then after i saw posters on here claiming "jacobs was winning the fight before the KO doe" i went back and watched it like 5 or 6 times. And every time i see the same thing. Jacobs getting absolutely SCHOOLED.

If it were mayweather instead of pirog, these same posters would be calling it a masterful performance by mayweather.

Comment

Working...
                      X