Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Andre Ward have lower number of wins by knockouts stoppages compared to GGG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
    All boxers are not huge punchers...
    Could it be that Golovkin isn't a huge puncher himself but simply has superior offensive skills?

Very few, if any boxers that are of a similar size have a signifiacant power advantage over their rivals. Don't you think stoppages / knockouts are more down to offensive skills than punching power?

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingIsGreat View Post
      Dawson was a better fighter and much more accomplished than Golovkin himself. Minus his last two fights, Golovkin has fought all cans. Easy to KO weak competition.
      Edison Miranda, Alexander Brand, Rodriguez and all those other boxers that Ward failed to KO aren't any better than Martin Murray, Proska, Kell Brook and etc. So it may not be as 'easy' as you think to KO / stop such opposition. Otherwise, Ward would've stopped / knocked out those opposition 'easily'.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganstaz003 View Post
        What I wanted to mainly know was what the cause is for Ward having lesser wins by knockouts / stoppages compared to Gennady Golovkin against similar level of opposition. I wanted to know how much of it had to do with punching power, offensive skills and / or other attributes.

Also, before anyone mentions Andre Ward's stoppage win over Kovalev, that fight was stopped after Ward landed a clear low blow. So that wasn't a 'legitimate' stoppage. I'm only seeking for a discussion about legitimate stoppages / knockouts.
        The expression: "When thought of as a fool, better not to open one's mouth and remove all doubt" applies here. There would be nothing wrong with asking a question, any question, but the way you frame this... well it makes me cringe for you my Boxing Scene brother.

For any comparison to be valid one must establish at least baseline similarities. Obviously beyond... all boxers have two hands, etc lol you get the idea. So what baseline, control do we have that gives us a similar variable to work with here? Do the men have a similar opponent? Are both men similar stylists? Did both men fight at the same weight class consistantly? the answer to all of these is NO...I may be wrong but I cannot think of a common opponent for Triple G and Ward, if there is one then I apologize for this point, but that would not be enough...

Ward fought bigger men that affects KO percentage. Ward is not a KO guy, he did manage to stop guys but, its not his forte. Ward also fought a lot better comp. Lets look at the last fight each man had: Triple G fought a guy he could not come close to KOing, in a close fight, a guy who is spectacular but not in the pound for pound rankings... Ward fought a guy who is a slugger, his last great shot shook Kovalev, regardless of what one thinks of the actual ending. Watch the GIF of that punch.

You cannot compare apples to oranges. In this comparison Ward does very well actually but alas he is not a KO puncher.

Comment

ward didnt become a devastating golota like body puncher until he fought kovalev. if he had done that his entire career he would have 100 percent ko ratio

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
            The expression: "When thought of as a fool, better not to open one's mouth and remove all doubt" applies here. There would be nothing wrong with asking a question, any question, but the way you frame this... well it makes me cringe for you my Boxing Scene brother.

For any comparison to be valid one must establish at least baseline similarities. Obviously beyond... all boxers have two hands, etc lol you get the idea. So what baseline, control do we have that gives us a similar variable to work with here? Do the men have a similar opponent? Are both men similar stylists? Did both men fight at the same weight class consistantly? the answer to all of these is NO...I may be wrong but I cannot think of a common opponent for Triple G and Ward, if there is one then I apologize for this point, but that would not be enough...

Ward fought bigger men that affects KO percentage. Ward is not a KO guy, he did manage to stop guys but, its not his forte. Ward also fought a lot better comp. Lets look at the last fight each man had: Triple G fought a guy he could not come close to KOing, in a close fight, a guy who is spectacular but not in the pound for pound rankings... Ward fought a guy who is a slugger, his last great shot shook Kovalev, regardless of what one thinks of the actual ending. Watch the GIF of that punch.

You cannot compare apples to oranges. In this comparison Ward does very well actually but alas he is not a KO puncher.
            They may not have common opponents. However, they have similar level of oppositiion. David Lemieux, Kell Brook, Martin Murray, Marco Antonio Barrera, Proska and Ishida, all of whom Golovkin has stopped / knocked out, are arguably boxers that are of a similar level as boxers like Edwin Rodriguez, Edison Miranda, Henry Buchanan and Kendall Gould, all boxers Andre Ward failed to KO.

Against similar level of opposition, skilled boxers like Oleksandr Gvozdyk, Artur Beterbiev and etc. They also have similar number of wins by knockouts / stoppages as Golovkin. Andre Ward doesn't! There obviously has to be a reason for this. Andre Ward has faced many opponents his own size or even smaller. Yet, he also failed to KO / stop them like Alexander Brand whilst Golovkin destroyed Kell Brook. So that isn't an acceptable exuse.

Also, not being able to stop / KO guys is not a 'style'. Inability isn't a style. It's a lack of style.

Golovkin is now 35 years of age. there's no reason to be surprised to see a pressure fighter like him declining by that age. Mike Tyson was losing to bums / journeymen by that age. Whilst Golovkin is still able to defeat top level opposition like Daniel Jacobs by outpointing them, even if he isn't able to KO / stop them anymore.

Comment

Could it be that Golovkin isn't a huge puncher himself but simply has superior offensive skills?

Very few, if any boxers that are of a similar size have a signifiacant power advantage over their rivals. Don't you think stoppages / knockouts are more down to offensive skills than punching power?
              I think GGG fought subpar comp and that resulted in more ko's p4p he hits harder then Ward. But as you see when his comp increased his ko's stopped...

Comment

I think GGG fought subpar comp and that resulted in more ko's p4p he hits harder then Ward. But as you see when his comp increased his ko's stopped...
                Andre Ward has also faced 'sub par' opposition but failed to KO / stop them. Is Alexander Brand really a better level of opponent than Kell Brook? At worst (from Kell's perspective), both are even. Kell Brook in my opinion is even better. Yet, GGG managed to destroy Kell Brook whilst Ward went 12 rounds against Brand.

Likewise, the same can be stated of Miranda, Rodriguez, Buchanan and etc. All of those guys are 'sub par' boxers. yet, Ward failed to KO / stop them. They aren't any better than Proska, Martin Murray, Kell Brook, Marco Antonio Rubio, Geale and etc. All of whom GGG has managed to KO / stop.

Comment

Andre Ward has also faced 'sub par' opposition but failed to KO / stop them. Is Alexander Brand really a better level of opponent than Kell Brook? At worst (from Kell's perspective), both are even. Kell Brook in my opinion is even better. Yet, GGG managed to destroy Kell Brook whilst Ward went 12 rounds against Brand.

Likewise, the same can be stated of Miranda, Rodriguez, Buchanan and etc. All of those guys are 'sub par' boxers. yet, Ward failed to KO / stop them. They aren't any better than Proska, Martin Murray, Kell Brook, Marco Antonio Rubio, Geale and etc. All of whom GGG has managed to KO / stop.
                  Kell Brook moved up 2 divisions..why are you even mentioning him? I have said GGG p4p is the harder puncher already and said Ward is not a knockout puncher.. Ward is the superior fighter and i think that is obvious..GGG is very limited and Canelo showed that

Comment

Kell Brook moved up 2 divisions..why are you even mentioning him? I have said GGG p4p is the harder puncher already and said Ward is not a knockout puncher.. Ward is the superior fighter and i think that is obvious..GGG is very limited and Canelo showed that
                    Kell Brook moved up 2 weight divisions. Yet, he was the heavier boxer between the two on fight night whilst GGG was lighter.

On the other hand, Alexander Brand was genuinely smaller in size compared to Andre Ward by a pretty significant margin. Yet, Ward failed to KO / stop Alexander Brand.

How did Canelo Alvarez show that GGG is a 'limited'? By that argument, did Alexander Brand and Sullivan Barrera also show that Andre Ward is also 'limited '?

Comment

Very good point.

Comment

Working...
                      X