Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Andre Ward have lower number of wins by knockouts stoppages compared to GGG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
    rodriguez, green, bika, brand, buchanan, miranda.... whats the explanation for ward not being able to stop them if it was just due to 'higher level opposition' being the reason for the different KO percentages?
    Do you think Golovkin could stop any of those fighters?

Miranda and Green have the most losses due to stoppage and it's not a lot.
    Last edited by HarvardBlue; 10-22-2017, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Ward is technically fighting above his weight class do his numbers could be lower plus he's not a huge puncher he hit Sergei with the kitchen sink and Sergei didn't go down even though he did get stopped

Comment

Originally posted by youbeight View Post
        whos comparable on ggg resume to froch, kovalev, abraham, kessler?
        What point are you trying to make with that question and what relevance does it have with my statement.

I am comparing both of their performances against similar level of opposition. Not against different level of opposition. Kell Brook is a similar level of opposition, or maybe even higher than Alexander Brand. Yet, GGG stopped Kell Brook and Andre Ward couldn't stop Alexander Brand.

Martin Murray is arguably a similar level of opposition, if not better than Sullivan Barrera. GGG stopped Murray whilst Ward couldn't stop Barrera.

How about all of those other inferior level of opposition which Andre Ward failed to stop / KO. Such as Miranda, Rodriguez, Kendall Gould, Derrick Findley and so forth so on. Are they reallyopposition at a better level than the likes of Nobuhiro Ishida, Daniel Geale, Proska, Marco Antonio Barrera and etc? All of whom Golovkin managed to stop / KO.

Comment

[QUOTE=Lopez_Boxing;18154405]
          Originally posted by Ganstaz003 View Post
          Well you have to go into details. Otherwise, it's not a substantiated claim. I could just as easily claim that Kell Brook is a better caliber of opponent than Chad Dawson too.

That trainer of Sergey Kovalev is no longer his trainer. They didn't get along very well. So that was a negative thing he said about Kovalev and I'm not surprised that he would say such a thing, due to the negativity between the two.

As for the ref saying it was a clean punch, the referee doesn't make / create / invent the rules of boxing. That's not the referee's job. The ref's job is to simply just enforce the rules of boxing that have already been made by higher authorities. The same applies to the Nevada commission.

According the rules, low blows are illegal and the final punch that Ward landed on Kovalev was a low blow. Therefore, it was an illegal punch and therefore, it was an illegitimate stoppage.[/Q
          Ok. You’re just being silly. To say Kell has Accomplished what Chad has is ridiculous
          Go through the accomplishments and then we can compare the accomplishments to some of the accomplishments of Golovkin's opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
            Ward fought better competition. If Golovkin was fighting competition like Jacobs and Canelo for the last 4 or 5 years he would have a low KO percentage too.
            that wasn't really my point. Ward has faced opposition that he couldn't KO who were at a similar level as Golovkin's opponents that Golovkin managed to KO. For example, one could argue that Kell Brook is a similar level of opponent as Alexander Brand. Yet, Brook was stopped by GGG but Ward couldn't stop Brand. There are many other examples.

Not every one of Ward's opponents have been of a higher caliber compared to every one of Golovkin's opponents. They have also fought opponents of a similar caliber. Yet, Golovkin has more knockouts / stoppages against such opponents compared to Andre Ward.

Comment

that wasn't really my point. Ward has faced opposition that he couldn't KO who were at a similar level as Golovkin's opponents that Golovkin managed to KO. For example, one could argue that Kell Brook is a similar level of opponent as Alexander Brand. Yet, Brook was stopped by GGG but Ward couldn't stop Brand. There are many other examples.

Not every one of Ward's opponents have been of a higher caliber compared to every one of Golovkin's opponents. They have also fought opponents of a similar caliber. Yet, Golovkin has more knockouts / stoppages against such opponents compared to Andre Ward.
              I'm not sure what your point is... I also don't understand why you think he couldn't. Ward is not the type of fighter that go for KOs. He'll box carefully, grind down an opponent, and if the KO comes it comes. Golovkin on the other hand, that's his marketing tool. He will go for the KO all the time, sometimes sacrificing his boxing abilities. Is Golovkin a harder puncher than Ward? Possibly. Is he a better KO artist? His KO percentage suggests he is but if Ward was the type of fighter to sacrifice his boxing ability and go for broke to get KOs he might have a better ratio. Their styles work for both of them but it doesn't tell you anything significant comparing KO percentages. Do you think Golovkin would have the kind of career Andre Ward did if he fought the same way as Ward?

Comment

Why do trolls ask stupid questions?

Comment

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
                  I'm not sure what your point is... I also don't understand why you think he couldn't. Ward is not the type of fighter that go for KOs. He'll box carefully, grind down an opponent, and if the KO comes it comes. Golovkin on the other hand, that's his marketing tool. He will go for the KO all the time, sometimes sacrificing his boxing abilities. Is Golovkin a harder puncher than Ward? Possibly. Is he a better KO artist? His KO percentage suggests he is but if Ward was the type of fighter to sacrifice his boxing ability and go for broke to get KOs he might have a better ratio. Their styles work for both of them but it doesn't tell you anything significant comparing KO percentages. Do you think Golovkin would have the kind of career Andre Ward did if he fought the same way as Ward?
                  My point is, why doesn't Ward have as many knockout / stoppage victories against SIMILAR level of opposition as the opposition of GGG's which GGG managed to consistently stop / KO?

Claiming Ward doesn't go for knockouts / stoppages due to his style is actually a misnomer. It's actually a 'lack of style'. Not being able to accomplish a skillful task isn't something to classify as 'stylistic'. Rather, it is something to classify as a lack of style. In this case, Ward not stopping / knocking out opponents is not a style, but rather a lack of a style.

The reason why I don't think Ward couldn't KO / stop the opponents he failed to that are of a similar level of opposition that GGG has stopped / knocked out is because Ward has failed to. Anything other than that is purely speculative. Claiming he could but chose not to is speculative. I can just as easily state that he tried but failed and my claim would have just as much worth / value as your speculative claim. Perhaps he lacks the 'offensive skills' to consistently KO / stop opponents. Otherwise, saying he could but he doesn't is no different from me arguing that Golovkin could have a better defense but chooses not to. We go by actual feats and not by speculations when being objective.

Comment

What I wanted to mainly know was what the cause is for Ward having lesser wins by knockouts / stoppages compared to Gennady Golovkin against similar level of opposition. I wanted to know how much of it had to do with punching power, offensive skills and / or other attributes.

Also, before anyone mentions Andre Ward's stoppage win over Kovalev, that fight was stopped after Ward landed a clear low blow. So that wasn't a 'legitimate' stoppage. I'm only seeking for a discussion about legitimate stoppages / knockouts.
                    Ward isnt a knockout puncher..pretty simple answer

Comment

Well how good is Chad Dawson? Is he really better than David Lemieux? If so, how?

As for Sergey quitting. I want to know how exactly he quit? The fight wasn't stopped because he quit. The fight was stopped on a low blow. Therefore, it was an illegitimate stoppage due to the stoppage occurring after an illegal punch landed.
                      man are you serious??

Comment

Working...
                      X