Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Kelly Pavlik: Today's Middleweights Aren't as Big as in My Era

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Pavlik's era you had much bigger men draining themselves to fight at smaller weight classes because many wanted a size advantage. Guys would cut 20 pounds to make weight then rehydrate nearly 20 pounds over night. Nowadays you have guys fighting around their natural walking around weight and I think that is much better for a multitude of reasons.

Comment

Pavlik is 100% right, these guys are tiny, the division isn't nearly as big or nearly as good as it was at it's peak. I mean look at what happened when ggg fought 5'11 Jacobs, the g tards were freaking out about the "giant" Jacobs lmao and ggg went life and death fighting a guy that could match his physicality.

Or even 5'7 Canelo a career Welter/JMW, "No he's bigger than ggg"

The Super 6 really did a number on the division, followed by the sudden departures of Hopkins, Pavlik, Martinez, Pirog.

People forget how big and devastating guys like Miranda and Abraham were at 160.

Comment

Man imagine a tournament of those guys all together!

Pavlik vs GGG

Abraham vs Martinez

Canelo vs Williams

Jacobs vs Miranda

Pirog vs Lemule

Charlo vs Chavez Jr

Hopkins vs Andrade

Taylor vs Saunders

Would pay 100 bucks to watch this tourney!

Comment

A good fight to watch this weekend featuring a MW (Eubank) vs LHW (Yildirim).

Eubank seems confident weight will not be an issue in the tournament but he's essentially walking around at 168, eating whatever he wants and won't dehydrate himself at all. Yildirim will be boiling down and coming in 10 lbs heavier at least.

I don't see how it would be an advantage cutting 20lbs vs GGG in the current era. Same with Eubank. High work-rate guys usually beat fighters cutting loads of weight.

Comment

Maaaan I miss that MW era of Pavlik, Taylor, Williams, Martinez, and Pirog. I think it all went downhill after Cotto "became" a MW champion, and thus began the era of blown-up LMWs looking to cash in amongst the few MWs (Golovkin) who stay at walking weight.

Comment

I would've loved to see Golovkin against the likes of Miranda and Abraham. The both hit hard and could take a punch to a certain extent. A fight between Golovkin and Pavlik would've also been a good match up.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                This is the way the division should look. Fighters being closer to their fighting weight in between fights, not walking around at cruiserweight and draining down, then rehydrating 20+ pounds on fight night.
                Why? If you can make the weight, you can make the weight. The more talent you squeeze into a division, the better it gets.

These days we're stuck waiting for guys from welter/jmw to move up. The 2nd/3rd best guy in the division, DJ, is on par with Miranda. Even the contenders aren't as good as they once were, I mean as "bad" as guys like Miranda/Green were they weren't getting rocked/dropped by journeymen caliber fighters like Lemieux/DJ, they were blowing them out. Geale also got DESTROYED by career jmw/welter Cotto, and Murray another elite contender also couldn't even beat a 35 year old severely past prime Abraham.
                Last edited by Cutthroat; 10-03-2017, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Boxing was very slack about PED testing in Pavlick's day. I guess men who would be fighting at 168 or 175 today could use diuretics to cut enough weight to make 160 lbs.

Comment

I agree with Pavlik..most of the current middleweight fighters are bloated super welterweight boxers.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
                      Pavlik is 100% right, these guys are tiny, the division isn't nearly as big or nearly as good as it was at it's peak. I mean look at what happened when ggg fought 5'11 Jacobs, the g tards were freaking out about the "giant" Jacobs lmao and ggg went life and death fighting a guy that could match his physicality.

Or even 5'7 Canelo a career Welter/JMW, "No he's bigger than ggg"

The Super 6 really did a number on the division, followed by the sudden departures of Hopkins, Pavlik, Martinez, Pirog.

People forget how big and devastating guys like Miranda and Abraham were at 160.

Jacobs is 6'1 you tard.

Comment

Working...
                      X