Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Golovkin's Trainer Explains Lack of Body Work Against Canelo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never seen Golovkin as being a body puncher over anything else. Sure, everyone remembers that one body shot knockout of Matthew Macklin, but most of his other knockouts come from single punches or accumulations to the head.

Comment

Originally posted by Scopedog View Post
      I've never seen Golovkin as being a body puncher over anything else. Sure, everyone remembers that one body shot knockout of Matthew Macklin, but most of his other knockouts come from single punches or accumulations to the head.
      He has like 4 or 5 other body KO's besides the Macklin one. And he has a a lot of KD' from body shots. He's always had a brutal body attack.

Comment

Well I can appreciate what seems to be an honest and not-delusional answer.

Golovkin could have done more body work, but it would have been at his peril.

Hindsight 20/20- I think he ate some of Canelo's best punches and probably could have afforded to risk a little more than he did going downstairs... but he clearly didn't like getting hit with Canelo's counters either and didn't want it.

Also to be fair- his jab was working, and he landed his straight right plenty too. But that wasn't ever going to be enough to KO Canelo.

Canelo displayed the difference between his chin and David Lemiuex's as clearly as can be. Golovkin needed to land the kinds of dramatic shots that Canelo landed on him to try to hurt Alvarez. But he was too slow to connect those shots.

Comment

Originally posted by T18Z View Post
          Does it look like I'm actively trying to be part of this back and forth to you?

Just because you're content with trying to "win" a discussion with someone who comes across as mentally challenged and excessively emotionally invested in a BOXING match doesn't mean everyone else is.

I think that last paragraph describes you a lot more than it does the guy you and a coupe of other guys here seemed to be so obsessed with. Just sayin....

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_R View Post
            Well I can appreciate what seems to be an honest and not-delusional answer.

Golovkin could have done more body work, but it would have been at his peril.

Hindsight 20/20- I think he ate some of Canelo's best punches and probably could have afforded to risk a little more than he did going downstairs... but he clearly didn't like getting hit with Canelo's counters either and didn't want it.

Also to be fair- his jab was working, and he landed his straight right plenty too. But that wasn't ever going to be enough to KO Canelo.

Canelo displayed the difference between his chin and David Lemiuex's as clearly as can be. Golovkin needed to land the kinds of dramatic shots that Canelo landed on him to try to hurt Alvarez. But he was too slow to connect those shots.
            Agreed. I think he was too worried about the uppercut and Canelo's speed. GGG took the punches well but it doesnt mean they didn't hurt. He ate a couple mean uppercuts once he was in close. There were times he'd get hit so hard hed lose his footing or was forced to back off. Gotta take what he can and it was jabs. Still, Canelo was impressive with his defense and he rolled with a LOT of punches. Both of them did which surprised me with GGG. That titanic right hand he saw it right at the end and seemed to start turning at the last second. The one that murdered Khan... Ive never been so impressed with either fighter as I was this weekend. The skill and pride showed by both was beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by peplz View Post
              I think that last paragraph describes you a lot more than it does the guy you and a coupe of other guys here seemed to be so obsessed with. Just sayin....
              Ouch, that hurt.

I don't care for your white knight act, nor your weak attempt at redirection.

Just sayin...
              Last edited by T18Z; 09-20-2017, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Yeah sure, it was probably stated in the contract by Golden Boy that Golovkin don't go to the body hard as Canelo was going up in weight and also has stamina issues.... All of this to secure the rematch in May... boxing as a sport is dead, it's only business now when it comes to the major players and cash cows

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingIsGreat View Post
                  He couldn't go to the body because Canelo was giving a lot of different looks and movement in there.

The last 3 fights have proven how overrated, overhyped, and one dimensional Golovkin really is. All he had was power. Once he couldn't overpower his opponents, it was game over.

Watch him fight the weakest link next: BJ Saunders.
                  And yet he TKO'd one guy, beat another guy and by overwhelming majority of media, fans and former boxers he should have won the fight called a draw.

Where you rank him is of course up to you. I have as a clear cut top 10 P4P fighter. He should be 38-0 IMO. So call him overhyped if you like, people in boxing know he's one of the best in the sport.

You say once he couldn't overpower his oppoenents it was "game over". That is silly. The guy has been able to win his last two fights by relying on an effective jab. That isn't a one dimensional fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Diegosome1 View Post
                    How is it game over when he won 2 of those fights and most agree won the last fight?
                    And all Golovkin relies on is his power he says when Golovkin used his jab as his best weapon in his last two fights.

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
                      Agreed. I think he was too worried about the uppercut and Canelo's speed. GGG took the punches well but it doesnt mean they didn't hurt. He ate a couple mean uppercuts once he was in close. There were times he'd get hit so hard hed lose his footing or was forced to back off. Gotta take what he can and it was jabs. Still, Canelo was impressive with his defense and he rolled with a LOT of punches. Both of them did which surprised me with GGG. That titanic right hand he saw it right at the end and seemed to start turning at the last second. The one that murdered Khan... Ive never been so impressed with either fighter as I was this weekend. The skill and pride showed by both was beautiful.

I was impressed by some of the things that Golovkin did, but I was unimpressed with some of the things that he did not do..... Canelo was superb

Comment

Working...
                      X