Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What has Canelo done in 2 years that gives him any edge over GGG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another thing is Kirkland absolutely stops Brook at 154.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSlickster View Post
      Nah, its one of his weaknesses. He tends to fight in spurts and uses up alot of energy when he unloads his offense. The Smith fight(although he beat him no problem), showed that he tends to go to the ropes when he wants to take a breather. He can't do that against Golovkin.
      He went to the ropes a lot against Angulo too, and it wasn't by design. By the 7th round you can see his punches have noticeably less speed & steam on them, and he's letting Angulo walk him towards the ropes. He won't get that chance to take a break against 3G.

Comment

Originally posted by Biolink View Post
        He went to the ropes a lot against Angulo too, and it wasn't by design. By the 7th round you can see his punches have noticeably less speed & steam on them, and he's letting Angulo walk him towards the ropes. He won't get that chance to take a break against 3G.
        Holy cow, can't believe i also missed that. That is very very telling. It's a very big deal. Despite how slow Angulo was, he was still able to get him to the ropes, just that he didn't have the ability to do anything to Canelo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
          Thats what i don't get. First they accuse people of being haters, but now they see that more and more people are picking Canelo, so they are wondering why.
          I have never seen this before. Posters act like picking Canelo is an afront to the sport. Unless you pick GGG you are not a real fan or have some agenda. Unbelievable.

Comment

I would agree with this except there's two factors. Firstly, Canelo has slow feet. He relies mostly on his upper body movement to get away from punches, BUT the issue with that is even if Golovkin misses a few punches, Canelo can only use it so much...he also needs the footwork to avoid it all. Secondly, Canelo is vulnerable to a good committed jab. Counter punchers despite being a nightmare for brawler/power punchers, have issues when dealing with a good jab. Golovkin has possibly the best jab in boxing right now. Because of how hard it is to avoid/predict, countering it will be tough for Canelo. The Cotto and Smith fights showed how baffled Canelo is when dealing with a jab thrown with intentions(Its the non committed jabs that are easy to avoid for him)
            The issue with that is that Canelo can unload bombs and combos BUT doing so will put him in the danger zone. While it would bother other opponents who are gun shy against Canelo's power, Golovkin has taken shots from bigger men with more power. Lemieux, Jacobs and Stevens have more power than Canelo does. Plus this will be an exhausting, grueling fight for Canelo who's had stamina issues in the past.
            Exactly how I see it. Reps.

Comment

The issue with that is that Canelo can unload bombs and combos BUT doing so will put him in the danger zone. While it would bother other opponents who are gun shy against Canelo's power, Golovkin has taken shots from bigger men with more power. Lemieux, Jacobs and Stevens have more power than Canelo does. Plus this will be an exhausting, grueling fight for Canelo who's had stamina issues in the past.
              Seems like Lemiuex barely touched GGG as GGG boxed him, Jacobs gave GGG problems. If GGG comes forward like that he's getting hit and Canelo has enough power to back him. Whether Canelo is as powerful as those guy ,who cares. We do know he's not Maliggnagi and he's got some pop. Canelo looked tired during the Liam fight but I think that was due to the weight. He went 12 rounds of non stop punching (from him) with Chavez's bum.a$$ and didn't get tired so I think his stamina is good enough. I also don't think GGG is fast enough with hand speed or reflexes to counter Canelo whereas I think Canelo is fast enough with both to counter him

Comment

Holy cow, can't believe i also missed that. That is very very telling. It's a very big deal. Despite how slow Angulo was, he was still able to get him to the ropes, just that he didn't have the ability to do anything to Canelo.
                Yeah its pretty telling IMO. He began throwing a single shot at a time instead of countering back with combos. His tank can be questionable. He likes fighting at his own pace. Putting on all of that extra muscle was risky, it's not like it's gonna make him punch harder.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatDude44 View Post
                  Seems like Lemiuex barely touched GGG as GGG boxed him, Jacobs gave GGG problems. If GGG comes forward like that he's getting hit and Canelo has enough power to back him. Whether Canelo is as powerful as those guy ,who cares. We do know he's not Maliggnagi and he's got some pop. Canelo looked tired during the Liam fight but I think that was due to the weight. He went 12 rounds of non stop punching (from him) with Chavez's bum.a$$ and didn't get tired so I think his stamina is good enough. I also don't think GGG is fast enough with hand speed or reflexes to counter Canelo whereas I think Canelo is fast enough with both to counter him
                  Jacobs went Southpaw though and it appeared to throw him off. Canelo won't toss him that kind of curveball. He's more by the book. Not to mention Jacobs has faster foot speed. 3G might not be able to avoid everything that's coming back, but Canelo isn't the most fleet footed either.

I really believe Jacobs is being underrated here. Even if he wasn't that good the reasoning that because Jacobs did something Canelo can isn't correct. Canelo prefers the fight to come to him and to fight at his own pace, Jacobs can go and get you.

Comment

Originally posted by Biolink View Post
                    Jacobs went Southpaw though and it appeared to throw him off. Canelo won't toss him that kind of curveball. He's more by the book. Not to mention Jacobs has faster foot speed. 3G might not be able to avoid everything that's coming back, but Canelo isn't the most fleet footed either.

I really believe Jacobs is being underrated here. Even if he wasn't that good the reasoning that because Jacobs did something Canelo can isn't correct. Canelo prefers the fight to come to him and to fight at his own pace, Jacobs can go and get you.
                    Jacobs is damn good. It seemed like when GGG threw 1 punch Jacobs threw 3 back a lot of times which I can see Canelo doing also because like I said o believe early...Canelo has the reflex and counter advantage. GGG can come to Canelo,that's fine but Canelo isn't gonna just let him keep coming in untouched. Canelo with be throwing punches also.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
                      Hearing a lot of people starting to pick Canelo to beat GGG this weekend.
                      Since 5-9-15 he's fought Kirkland, Cotto, Khan,Smith,Chavez Jr.

2 of those are glass jaw guys. 1 is a nobody.. 1 is a fat slob who stinks and 1 is a faded good fighter who spent the best years of his career at 140-147.

We talk about GGG not having that big name on his record or not being ready for what Canelo brings but what has Canelo done since the Lara fight that makes anyone think he's ready for what GGG brings based on fighting this bunch of guys the last 2 years? Before he got his face smashed in by GGG I'd pick Brook over Kirkland,Khan,Cotto, and Smith at 154.

People keep saying Canelo has gotten better, that he's learned since the Mayweather fight yet all I see is him in mismatches that make him look good. Little azz Cotto hit him all night long but couldn't hurt him because the dude was huge compared to him. Liam fking smith was putting that work on the guy in the corners but again had no power to hurt Canelo.

This dudes power is overrated, he has NEVER put out a good fighter.. NEVER... He will not KO GGG, i don't think he can even hurt him. If GGG starts landing that jab early this will be an easy fight for GGG...
                      Also Canelo is making his 160lb debut and is a blown up smaller fighter. So if GGG wins don't act like a win over Canelo was that good. Also if GGG loses...

Comment

Working...
                      X