No announcement yet.

The Mayweather handpicking myth is a lie

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by maracho View Post
    Oh and remember when Floyd called out both Winky Wright and Sergio Martinez only to later let his mouth overload his arse. Lol..Floyd kept making all these crazy demands but Winky and Sergio just kept accepting them.
    Not quite.

Split of prize money holding up bout
    Steve Kim
    Promoters Gary Shaw and Bob Arum were in Beverly Hills on Thursday afternoon to officially announce the Oct. 8 rematch between Diego Corralles and Jose Luis Castillo.

But as that deal was finalized, a proposed Nov. 12 bout between Winky Wright and Floyd Mayweather fell apart as the two met at the Beverly Hills Hotel.

"M-O-N-E-Y," stated Shaw in spelling out the reason why this bout between two of the premier prizefighters in the world will not be taking place. "I thought we had a deal. I spoke with Don King, King was on board, Jim Wilkes was on board, Winky Wright was on board. We agreed to 154 pounds, we agreed to another morning weight because they were concerned about the weight -- Winky couldn't gain more than eight pounds above 154."

With all of Winky's representatives (including King, who holds an option on Wright after his victory over Felix Trinidad in May) in agreement, Shaw thought he would be signing contracts by the end of the week.

"When I was in Arum's office he talked about different splits," recalled Shaw, who said at that time the numbers he was told differed from the ones he had agreed to. "I started to yell, I said, 'It's gotta be 50-50.' He said, 'All right, all right. Why are you yelling? I'm just the messenger. Come back, we'll do the deal.' I walked downstairs here at the Beverly Hills Hotel, I said, 'We have a deal?' He looked at me and said, '55-45.' I said, 'No, 50-50. He said, 'There's no deal.' "

Arum confirmed that Wright-Mayweather is dead as of now.

"There were requests made by Floyd Mayweather, we laid it out and I think they were fair requests," said the veteran promoter. "Gary rejected them, so there's no fight. We have to sit with Floyd and we'll figure out [what we do next].

"Maybe [Antonio] Margarito. It's unfortunate as far as the Winky Wright fight, but it's not going to happen."

While Mayweather retains his Nov. 12 date on HBO Pay-Per-View, Wright has a date set aside for him the following week on HBO.

Did Mayweather and Arum come to the realization that in facing the much bigger Wright, that they were biting off more than even the "Pretty Boy" could chew?

"Floyd's been talking a lot of trash, saying he's going to knock Winky out; he told Kevin Iole he wants to fight," said Shaw. "He wanted the fight on Sunday. On Monday I went to Top Rank's office personally. My feeling is that Floyd never wanted the fight. He was just talking smack."

As Shaw and Arum gave their sides of the story after the Corrales-Castillo press conference, just outside the ballroom where it was held, Margarito's manager Sergio Diaz was meeting with Top Rank's VP, Todd DuBoef, about his fighter's future -- which doesn't seem to include Mayweather.

"Right now we just met with Todd and we're looking at October 1st," he explained to MaxBoxing. "The date is there, the opponent we still don't know. They've been mentioning Joshua Clottey, but Showtime doesn't know if they want to accept that opponent."

As for a bout with Mayweather?
    ---------------------------------

http://www.espn.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2113721

Winky was notorious for his haggling over purse splits so it sounds likely.

For the record I can't see Floyd having a easy time with Winky at all.

And to be fair I do remeber something about Martinez agreeing to 150 and 80/20 so that part might be true.
    Last edited by whoelsebutjames; 08-31-2017, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• Lol @ people starting all these Floyd tear down thread rather than come in here present their views intelligently.

Comment

• Originally posted by whoelsebutjames View Post
        Not quite.

Split of prize money holding up bout
        Steve Kim
        Promoters Gary Shaw and Bob Arum were in Beverly Hills on Thursday afternoon to officially announce the Oct. 8 rematch between Diego Corralles and Jose Luis Castillo.

But as that deal was finalized, a proposed Nov. 12 bout between Winky Wright and Floyd Mayweather fell apart as the two met at the Beverly Hills Hotel.

"M-O-N-E-Y," stated Shaw in spelling out the reason why this bout between two of the premier prizefighters in the world will not be taking place. "I thought we had a deal. I spoke with Don King, King was on board, Jim Wilkes was on board, Winky Wright was on board. We agreed to 154 pounds, we agreed to another morning weight because they were concerned about the weight -- Winky couldn't gain more than eight pounds above 154."

With all of Winky's representatives (including King, who holds an option on Wright after his victory over Felix Trinidad in May) in agreement, Shaw thought he would be signing contracts by the end of the week.

"When I was in Arum's office he talked about different splits," recalled Shaw, who said at that time the numbers he was told differed from the ones he had agreed to. "I started to yell, I said, 'It's gotta be 50-50.' He said, 'All right, all right. Why are you yelling? I'm just the messenger. Come back, we'll do the deal.' I walked downstairs here at the Beverly Hills Hotel, I said, 'We have a deal?' He looked at me and said, '55-45.' I said, 'No, 50-50. He said, 'There's no deal.' "

Arum confirmed that Wright-Mayweather is dead as of now.

"There were requests made by Floyd Mayweather, we laid it out and I think they were fair requests," said the veteran promoter. "Gary rejected them, so there's no fight. We have to sit with Floyd and we'll figure out [what we do next].

"Maybe [Antonio] Margarito. It's unfortunate as far as the Winky Wright fight, but it's not going to happen."

While Mayweather retains his Nov. 12 date on HBO Pay-Per-View, Wright has a date set aside for him the following week on HBO.

Did Mayweather and Arum come to the realization that in facing the much bigger Wright, that they were biting off more than even the "Pretty Boy" could chew?

"Floyd's been talking a lot of trash, saying he's going to knock Winky out; he told Kevin Iole he wants to fight," said Shaw. "He wanted the fight on Sunday. On Monday I went to Top Rank's office personally. My feeling is that Floyd never wanted the fight. He was just talking smack."

As Shaw and Arum gave their sides of the story after the Corrales-Castillo press conference, just outside the ballroom where it was held, Margarito's manager Sergio Diaz was meeting with Top Rank's VP, Todd DuBoef, about his fighter's future -- which doesn't seem to include Mayweather.

"Right now we just met with Todd and we're looking at October 1st," he explained to MaxBoxing. "The date is there, the opponent we still don't know. They've been mentioning Joshua Clottey, but Showtime doesn't know if they want to accept that opponent."

As for a bout with Mayweather?
        ---------------------------------

http://www.espn.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2113721

Winky was notorious for his haggling over purse splits so it sounds likely.

For the record I can't see Floyd having a easy time with Winky at all.
        Wow, you are trying make this look like a Winky duck. Enough with the bs, this is how it went down

Floyd called out Winky at 154 and Winky called his bluff. Floyd then demanded a same day weigh-in and Winky agreed. Floyd then demanded rehydration clauses and Winky agreed. Winky Wright was a huge name and a 50/50 split was agreed fair by all. Then at the last second before announcing the fight date , etc, Floyd suddenly demanded a different figure split of 50/45. Winky and Shaw were angry so Arum said ok come back and we'll make the deal but Floyd was gonna just keep changing his mind so there came a point where Winky had to put his foot down. Arum and Floyd said no deal.

Mayweather did this kind of crap all the time did it against Martinez, Winky, Marquez, Pacquiao, canelo, Mcgreger, etc which is another reason why people don't like him. You say people didn't like Ali either but most loved Ali
        Last edited by maracho; 08-31-2017, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Wow, you are trying make this look like a Winky duck. Enough with the bs, this is how it went down

Floyd called out Winky at 154 and Winky called his bluff. Floyd then demanded a same day weigh-in and Winky agreed. Floyd then demanded rehydration clauses and Winky agreed. Winky Wright was a huge name and a 50/50 split was agreed fair by all. Then at the last second before announcing the fight date , etc, Floyd suddenly demanded a different figure split of 50/45. Winky and Shaw were angry so Arum said ok come back and we'll make the deal but apparently Floyd was gonna just keep changing his mind. There came a point where Winky had to put his foot down.

Mayweather did this kind of crap all the time did it against Martinez, Winky, Pacquiao, canelo, Mcgreger, etc which is another reason why people don't like him. You say people didn't like Ali either but most loved Ali

I'm not twisting words it clearly said, what it said. In fact it's a Steve Kim article so of course it would never be favorable to Mayweather.

My point was Winky was never getting 50/50 split and he's notorious in his atttidue about contract money. That's what stalled out most of his careeer. Winky problem was he had one too many options and promoters in his pocket.

They were of similiar levels of popularity at the time despite Winky facing most of the bigger names. Floyd was the one taking The larger risk coming from jr welter, not Winky should of come to the table expecting worst. Winky made a living off embarrassing welters who couldn't get past the jab. 55/45 really isn't that bad to get the fight done.

Comment

Dispelling the myth that Mayweather fought his opponents at the wrong time. The short sightedness of fans is off the charts. One fan says it and All the boxing analyst run with it.

Genaro hernandez. Only lost to delahoya in the mid 90s before Floyd was factor

Angel Manfreddy. Was a feared boxer at the time and hadn't lost in years before Floyd. Lasted two or 3 rounds

Diego corralles. Undefeated and Floyd was considered the underdog.

Castillo went on to beat corralles and Joel Casamayor afterwards.

Chop chop. This was his first fight at jr welter and he went toe to toe with him Chop chop had two losses at the time and one was to Judah. This is notable since in this fight Larry Merchant and the HBO cast said Gatti and sharmba Mitchell would beat Floyd and Floyd would not fight him. 2004(watch it on YouTube to hear, it was a good fight anyway)

Gatti 2005. Only took one fight before this. But By the time this fight started regardless of what was said and forgotten two fights earlier- Floyds now the favorite. Gatti was still on his win streak since Mickey Ward2003. What changed ?

Sharmba. 2005 Coming of lost to Tzu but still everybody said Floyd Couldn't beat him 3 fights earlier and e had already lost to Tzu back in 2003

Judah was coming off loss to Carlos baldomir. This was floyds first fight at welter. Hardly cherry picking when moving up in weight

Baldomir. Had just beaten Judah and Gatti. Had no recent losses. Only the losses he already had prior to beating Judah

Delahoya. Was partially inactive before Mayweather other than a tuneup. Had been fighting at super welter and middle in his fights before being inactive

Ricky Hatton. Was undefeated and had beat the feared kosta tzu

Shane mosely had just beat the breaks of margarito one fight prior to Mayweather.

Cottos only losses were PAC and margarito at the time

Guerrero only had one loss and back then people on this forum thought he was the second coming. Had no recent losses.

Victor Ortiz had beat berto and Nate cambell prior to the fight

Canelo. Was undefeated. Had beaten cintron and mosely

*** never fought TZU who was done after Hatton in 2005. Two years after Floyd entered the jr Welters
            *** never fought margarito at 147 who was proven to be a cheater later
            *** never fought Vernon Forrest, Quintana, Paul Williams
            *** mosely, Trinidad, and Vargas were in the welterweights when Floyd fought corralles at featherweight/lightweight

The only the knock on Floyd is that he didn't fight PAC at the time when PAC destroyed Cotto. People just wanted Floyd to loose. He faced most of his biggest opponents within 2 fights of people calling them out for him. With the exception of Judah and PAC the handpicking myth is a lie. The real issue is that Floyd had a 13 year prime while most fighters primes only last 5 years.
            I don't blame Floyd for fighting McGregor. He made huge money with little risk. But if he wants to count him as part of the 50-0 we have to count it as a cherry pick..

Comment

Refute the facts and I'll give you an A for effort.
              you spin doctor propaganda, i wont even read your garbage cause you are overating most of these sorry champs and old guys hes beaten, lol, buull****, lol, nyahahaha

Comment

I'm not twisting words it clearly said, what it said. In fact it's a Steve Kim article so of course it would never be favorable to Mayweather.

My point was Winky was never getting 50/50 split and he's notorious in his atttidue about contract money. That's what stalled out most of his careeer. Winky problem was he had one too many options and promoters in his pocket.

They were of similiar levels of popularity at the time despite Winky facing most of the bigger names. Floyd was the one taking The larger risk coming from jr welter, not Winky should of come to the table expecting worst. Winky made a living off embarrassing welters who couldn't get past the jab. 55/45 really isn't that bad to get the fight done.
                Besides Mosley, it seems all of Winky' s opponents who could be considered as Welters had already fought a lot at 154.
                Floyd was the only 154 Pound champion that incessantly insisted for years that everyone at 154 was to big. In fact he always ducked the very best at about every weight class he was ever in. Unbelievably he was able to retain both 147 and 154 lb titles simultaneously by fighting Welters and here you're talking about winky wow
                Last edited by maracho; 08-31-2017, 02:21 PM.

Comment

what you are basically twisting is floyd dukked winky wright

Comment

Besides Mosley, it seems all of Winky' s opponents who could be considered as Welters had already fought a lot at 154.
                    Floyd was the only 154 Pound champion that incessantly insisted for years that everyone at 154 was to big. In fact he always ducked the very best at about every weight class he was ever in. Unbelievably he was able to retain both 147 and 154 lb titles simultaneously by fighting Welters and here you're talking about winky wow
                    1. Floyd did not clean out divisions.
                    This is true. After the flyweights he chased names and money. Isn't this standard practice now adays? How many fighters recently- cleaned out division after division? Floyd was not the man at 154, this is true. He didn't clean out 147 but he was the man to beat at 147. Period.

2. Floyd did not face most dangerous opponents.
                    Most of the opponents people mention are generally cheaters, under suspicion, or are fairly larger in size. With the fairly larger opponents it's fair to say Floyd didn't dare to be great. Not in that way but he was plenty great in others. There's this logic that you have to put yourself at a huge disadvantage to be a great fighter. It's dumb. Most of these guys who put themselves at disadvantaged loose and most of them were still great fighters. if you look at history almost all fighters pick their spots--when to dare after seeing some kind of a slip in the other mans game. Leonard went after haggler in the same way. Whether Floyd did or didn't duck Winky matters little. Winky spent a good portion of his careeer fighting welters and appearing visibly larger whether or not he was able to make weight. When he faced middleweights his dominance waned and go figure, most of the middleweight appeared to be his size. For the record I think he beat Taylor-- barely. I withhold some credit just like I don't give Bernard a mountain of credit for beating Trinidad.

3. He didn't face a lot of undefeateds or he beat guys that weren't at their best.
                    Roy jones faced a lot of undefeateds. Griffin, Toney, Kelly, Harding. I believe Bernard had one loss when he fought Jones already. And I know for sure Toney got a gift vs Tiberi. He admited so himself. So maybe Toney was already slipping at that point. He did go on to loose to griffin also. That's the logic people are using with Floyd.

The real problem is Floyd never did stupid macho **** with his career like Gatti. The fans like when there athletes are dumb and the promoters are smart.

All boxers cherry pick to some degree , saying Floyd did it to some exponential degree is bias and overblown.

Originally posted by Tha_Greatest View Post
                    you spin doctor propaganda, i wont even read your garbage cause you are overating most of these sorry champs and old guys hes beaten, lol, buull****, lol, nyahahaha
                    I never said Floyd resume was full of P4P all time goats. I'm way more realistic than that. But your unrealistic if you think there other fighters who live up to this criteria in the current era either. If you don't wanna read- don't. After all it is voluntary.

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
                      I don't blame Floyd for fighting McGregor. He made huge money with little risk. But if he wants to count him as part of the 50-0 we have to count it as a cherry pick..

I agree. The mcgreggor fight doesn't account for a hill of beans. It was a money fight. I was happy when it was announced because I hoped it would quiet the MMA vs boxing chatted for awhile but outside of that it didn't matter for boxing.

Comment

Working...
                      X