Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo Won't Skip IBF's Second-Day Weigh-In for Golovkin Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's no way in hell that Golovkin walked into the ring at 170lbs, especially considering the fact that he made the IBF check-weight by a fraction of a pound and that he still had at least two more meals before the fight.

If Jacobs actually walked into the ring at 178lbs, which I doubt (there's no way that you can add on nearly 20lbs of fluid and not end up sluggish as the fight goes on), Golovkin easily walked into the ring 173/174lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
      I know this happened in two recent fights but I don't get why this is news. I'm sure it was strategic when Lemieux and Jacobs did but both fights went on without a hitch. Other than some crying and moaning from fans for different reasons. If anything, the only person that benefitted was Lemieux.
      The fact that fights went off without a hitch is kind of irrelevant to the point - it's a strategic move yes, but also a scummy one.

People are making something of it now because inevitably, this practice will impact the outcome of a fight.

It's like firing a gun at someone but missing - they still fired the fkn gun, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
        There's no way in hell that Golovkin walked into the ring at 170lbs, especially considering the fact that he made the IBF check-weight by a fraction of a pound and that he still had at least two more meals before the fight.

If Jacobs actually walked into the ring at 178lbs, which I doubt (there's no way that you can add on nearly 20lbs of fluid and not end up sluggish as the fight goes on), Golovkin easily walked into the ring 173/174lbs.
        Canelo and GGG I've never seen higher than 174. They BOTH come in most of the time 172/173.

Comment

Originally posted by KillaCamNZ View Post
          The fact that fights went off without a hitch is kind of irrelevant to the point - it's a strategic move yes, but also a scummy one.

People are making something of it now because inevitably, this practice will impact the outcome of a fight.

It's like firing a gun at someone but missing - they still fired the fkn gun, right?
          You're seriously comparing 2nd day weigh-in to firing a gun? A little dramatic isn't it? Personally, I could care less about the 2nd weigh in. If a fighter made weight on the day of the weigh-in that should be it. Obviously it didn't work for Jacobs so it can't be that strategic. I think the reason it was a big deal is because some of Golovkin's rabid fans thought the "extra" weight robbed him of a KO. I hardly saw the same amount of outrage when Lemieux did it. And like I said, he was more of a beneficiary of the extra weight than Jacobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark night 24 View Post
            Canelo is going to shut a lot of people up!! Can't wait canelo UD.
            Yeah, his supporters are going to be very very quiet.

Comment

What time of the day is this supposedly 2ND day weighin happening ...the day of the fights a boxer often eats 2 meals + drinks...4 get this fraud...Fraudverez will be @ a min, 180#...

Comment

Originally posted by Shadoww702 View Post
                Canelo and GGG I've never seen higher than 174. They BOTH come in most of the time 172/173.
                Please check some of the back issues of Mexican papers that have the scoop there have been times Alvarez as come in after weigh-ins even when he was at 154 at 20 lb over the limit at MW he is pushing 180...

Comment

Originally posted by nycsmooth View Post
                  Please check some of the back issues of Mexican papers that have the scoop there have been times Alvarez as come in after weigh-ins even when he was at 154 at 20 lb over the limit at MW he is pushing 180...
                  Provide link. I call BS! He used to do same day weighs in all the time... Never weighed more than 174. And I have links. To back it up.

Your listening to Khan too much. Hey no joke. I did see a Mexican program on a fight he did years ago in Mexico and they listed him at 5' 11".

I WISH I saved it. I only found it 1 time one the web a few years ago. One of his earlier fights. Tell me you don't believe that bs??? I will give you this he was a porky kid... As he got better he started taking care of himself more. Mexican woman making good MEXICAN food will make anyone fat.

Comment

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
                    You're seriously comparing 2nd day weigh-in to firing a gun? A little dramatic isn't it? Personally, I could care less about the 2nd weigh in. If a fighter made weight on the day of the weigh-in that should be it. Obviously it didn't work for Jacobs so it can't be that strategic. I think the reason it was a big deal is because some of Golovkin's rabid fans thought the "extra" weight robbed him of a KO. I hardly saw the same amount of outrage when Lemieux did it. And like I said, he was more of a beneficiary of the extra weight than Jacobs.
                    Eh, it's an analogy, and it works.

There were a number of fanboys on here that got all twisted about it for the wrong reasons - but I usually disregard them anyway, because they're not here to make sense, just to be idiots.

Everyone draws the line on situations like this differently, so I don't think there's going to be a right or wrong. How you want to see things done is pretty fair, that's how you want it.

I'm in the camp that thinks it's a pretty lowball move - particularly in Jacobs case, it was a deliberate attempt that handicapping GGG. The result doesn't change the process. It's enough of a moral stain to make me not like it.

Sadly, it's another by-product of the ridiculous situation boxing has found itself in, through multiple sanctioning orgs getting their fingers in the pie. We shouldn't have situations like this where a single rule with one org can be utilized by either side to manipulate the playing field right up to the bell.

Comment

Bet the Triple G fan club didn't see that one coming!

Now another thing they won't see coming is how Canelo will win this fight!

They don't understand boxing IQ and styles make fights!

Golovkin's jab is gonna get countered over and over and he'll have no choice but to "street fight" like he says!

Comment

Working...
                      X