Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hearn: Ward-Kovalev Not Promoted Right, I Would've Smashed It!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jas View Post
    Promoter is meant to promote a fight and increase its popularity, hence the title "promoter"

Logistics and negotations can be done by accountants , lawyers and event planners
    I disagree a promoters task is simply to "promote" the event. That's a big part of it sure, but he's kinda like the director of a film that's dealing with all the parties involved in a fight cuz someone needs to be doing that job along with the hype angle.

And I realllllllllly don't want a accountant or lawyer to put on a boxing event. Although I wouldn't be surprised if some pencil pushers are being delegated certain tasks & jobs on behalf of a promoter along with the matchmaker.

But a promoter IS basically a boxing event planner if we are being honest. Its a needed job in the business. The problem is the power they have not that the job exists.

To go back to my director analogy the way boxing works it'd be like if Tarantino upon signing Sam Jackson to a specific movie would be able to secure Jackson's acting services for his next 5 films upon the acquisition instead of just for that one film. Boxers should be similar to actors where they are able to freelance as they see fit & sh^t they can, but due to other economic factors I'm not smart enough to verbalize or coherently outline probably (lol) promoters have been able to take advantage of the current system boxing works under that's a problem that's shortchanging the sport & its fans.
    Last edited by Eff Pandas; 06-23-2017, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
      Schaefer, Dibella, and Arum could do it. Hearn isn't anything special. He's lucky his daddy is Barry Hearn. Now Barry Hearn is a hell of a promoter. He's selling out arenas with snooker and dart matches. FUCKIN DARTS!!! Have you ever read the story of how he started matchroom? Dude is a hustler thru and thru
      I'm not saying Hearn is the Sugar Ray Robinson of promoters or anything, but he's clearly a higher skilled guy in his craft just cuz you are mentioning him with Schaefer & Arum. I wouldn't but DiBella in with those 3 guys. DiBella is no "sham promoter", but to me he's a level or two down from the Arum's, Schaefer's & yes even Hearn's.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        I'm not saying Hearn is the Sugar Ray Robinson of promoters or anything, but he's clearly a higher skilled guy in his craft just cuz you are mentioning him with Schaefer & Arum. I wouldn't but DiBella in with those 3 guys. DiBella is no "sham promoter", but to me he's a level or two down from the Arum's, Schaefer's & yes even Hearn's.
        I'm putting Dibella in there from his time when he ran HBO.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
          I'm putting Dibella in there from his time when he ran HBO.
          Yea I wouldn't disagree past DiBella was a player, but he's not a player today would be where I disagree. King was the man back in the day. He ain't sh^t today doe.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
            sky only only promote boxing 24/7 now because they've realised it's an exciting and dymanic sport that people will love .. if it's presented to them in a way that makes them interested in the fighters.

but almost everybody in the uk watches sky sports. I don't know if there is a sports channel in the us that has the same kind of reach as sky has in the uk.
            yeah american media is too scattered and all over the place! Also boxing is a niche sport in america.... Im sure eddie can do some good things though if he can find a broadcaster that supports him

Comment

Is not too much you could have done with Ward and Kovalev. No one really know who they are. Putting them out there wouldn't help because it's not like the first fight made a lot of news outside of boxing circles.

Hearn is lucky he's in the UK where the sport seem to be getting bigger than even the US market.

Comment

I'm going to have to agree with this chap on this one.

Comment

Working...
                X