Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hearn: Ward-Kovalev Not Promoted Right, I Would've Smashed It!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    An ambitious 16 year old with no prior knowledge about boxing coulda promoted that fight better, either time, than Roc Nation & Main Events did.

If Roc Nation folds as is the rumor, Main Events should follow their lead for the betterment of boxing.
    Duva and Yormark are two of the worst communicators I've ever seen centre stage at a televised event, and I can't imagine either of them being any better off camera than they are on. Neither of them ever sound or look sincere about anything they say.

Eddie Hearn could sell ice to an Eskimo, and make him feel like he owed Eddie a favour for doing it. If Yormark or Duva offered a starving man a sandwich for free, he'd probably think they were trying to poison him and decline the offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
      Hearn is a big fish in a small pond. His antics wouldn't play well here. We've seen way better salesmen than him.
      shouldnt a bigger pond = easier revenue?

And who are these better promoters? Besidez hearn being very charismatic himself, he keeps his fighters busy and has a methodology set up to bigger and better things.

Comment

Originally posted by BOXINGADICT View Post
        i agree with all that! Even with all that america is a totally different beast which is wayy more complicated to takeover than england which has sky that promotes boxing 24/7.... The american public in general dont give 2 flying fugs about boxing...
        Sky only only promote boxing 24/7 now because they've realised it's an exciting and dymanic sport that people will love .. if it's presented to them in a way that makes them interested in the fighters.

But almost everybody in the UK watches Sky Sports. I don't know if there is a sports channel in the US that has the same kind of reach as Sky has in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
          Duva and Yormark are two of the worst communicators I've ever seen centre stage at a televised event, and I can't imagine either of them being any better off camera than they are on. Neither of them ever sound or look sincere about anything they say.

Eddie Hearn could sell ice to an Eskimo, and make him feel like he owed Eddie a favour for doing it. If Yormark or Duva offered a starving man a sandwich for free, he'd probably think they were trying to poison him and decline the offer.
          LMFAO, yea you aren't wrong.

Promoters are kinda like refs in that they kinda got a thankless job where people only talk about them when they have a bad night or have a bad word to say about them, but Yormark & Duva are just bad for the promotion business beyond the problems with the promoters we talk about more often.

Comment

LMFAO, yea you aren't wrong.

Promoters are kinda like refs in that they kinda got a thankless job where people only talk about them when they have a bad night or have a bad word to say about them, but Yormark & Duva are just bad for the promotion business beyond the problems with the promoters we talk about more often.
            What do promoters even do these days to promote?

They are not neccesary at all

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
              shouldnt a bigger pond = easier revenue?

And who are these better promoters? Besidez hearn being very charismatic himself, he keeps his fighters busy and has a methodology set up to bigger and better things.
              A bigger pond = more competition for entertainment dollars.

Hearn is overrated as a promoter. Give Schaefer the same deal with Sky as Hearn has and you'll see the same results. You saw those results when Schaefer was heading Golden Boy and they had the output deal with HBO. High ratings, sold out arenas, and million selling PPV's.

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
                What do promoters even do these days to promote?

They are not neccesary at all
                I think the logistics of putting together a event requires a promoter, but I definitely think promoters have been entrusted with too much power in the boxing business.

I don't for the life of me understand why promoters need to have fighters under 5 year contracts & have that sorta control. Promoters should be fighting amongst each other to be the best at selling high level, competitive events that capture the most money by bringing in the most fans to view these events.

Mostly promoters just seem to lock up as many talented guys they can & leverage them into higher paydays & eventually cash them out via some money grab fight or multiple fights if he's good enough. That shouldn't be the purpose of or business model for being a successful promoter.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                  A bigger pond = more competition for entertainment dollars.

Hearn is overrated as a promoter. Give Schaefer the same deal with Sky as Hearn has and you'll see the same results. You saw those results when Schaefer was heading Golden Boy and they had the output deal with HBO. High ratings, sold out arenas, and million selling PPV's.
                  Schaefer knows his ass from a hole in the ground too doe. Could Kathy Duva do what Hearn is doing in the UK? I wouldn't bet on it. Could the Roc Nation guy? F#ck no. Could DiBella? Honestly I doubt he could do it either. Most of these mfers don't even get what they are trying to do. They got a dated concept of what promoting a fight even means.

Comment

I think the logistics of putting together a event requires a promoter, but I definitely think promoters have been entrusted with too much power in the boxing business.

I don't for the life of me understand why promoters need to have fighters under 5 year contracts & have that sorta control. Promoters should be fighting amongst each other to be the best at selling high level, competitive events that capture the most money by bringing in the most fans to view these events.

Mostly promoters just seem to lock up as many talented guys they can & leverage them into higher paydays & eventually cash them out via some money grab fight or multiple fights if he's good enough. That shouldn't be the purpose of or business model for being a successful promoter.
                    Promoter is meant to promote a fight and increase its popularity, hence the title "promoter"

Logistics and negotations can be done by accountants , lawyers and event planners

Comment

Schaefer knows his ass from a hole in the ground too doe. Could Kathy Duva do what Hearn is doing in the UK? I wouldn't bet on it. Could the Roc Nation guy? F#ck no. Could DiBella? Honestly I doubt he could do it either. Most of these mfers don't even get what they are trying to do. They got a dated concept of what promoting a fight even means.
                      Schaefer, Dibella, and Arum could do it. Hearn isn't anything special. He's lucky his daddy is Barry Hearn. Now Barry Hearn is a hell of a promoter. He's selling out arenas with snooker and dart matches. FUCKIN DARTS!!! Have you ever read the story of how he started matchroom? Dude is a hustler thru and thru

Comment

Working...
                      X