Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's your favorite fighter turned commentator?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
    Emanuel Stewart and Gil Cancy were my favorites, but Clancy wasn't a fighter. Favorite fighters turned commentators would be Sean O'Grady, John Scully, and for comic relief I liked Scott Ledieux and Vinnie Pazienza during their brief turns as commentators. Mancini too.

Jones is ok but his network bias gets in the way at times. Paulie talks too much. And his nasally voice annoys me. He makes some good observations during the fight but he also shows his network bias like Jones. Foreman was awful but he made me laugh. Hopkins and Ward are horrible and Leonard always made it about himself. Bobby Czyz was good but also had a tendency to make it about himself.
    Ward is boring in the ring and at the commentary table. Never heard Vinnie on the mic but that was probably cool. I like Sean O'Grady but he always made me laugh. One night he would say, "Power beats speed" and the next night he'd say "Speed beats power." I'd be thinking 'Well which is it, Sean?' Haha.

Comment

Rjj simply based on how he butchers the fighters names lol fawking Roy

Comment

Originally posted by Teetotaler View Post
        Lol

Good **** mang. Green k sent. Also lol@ tooney. He's still boxing right?
        Yeah he just fought Saturday night. I forgot to mention Roy Jones after Klitschko lost to Brewster. He compared Klitschko to Butterbean & was basically laughing at him. Foreman was the only commentator I ever heard say that Klitschko would be the HW champion of the world following that loss...

Comment

Originally posted by danceswithfire View Post
          have you ever seen his cotto scorecards?...it's 12-0 on his scorecards.. and don't ask him about pac, he menstruates every time at that very moment
          I didnt Watch That Fight, but if thats what he had, then he was Dead wrong. Just Saying, in general, his commentary seems insightful to me, the casual fan, in that I Learn a lot while listening. To each his own, though.

Comment

Maybe Im unique here, in that I enjoy commentary from all the commentators. They each bring their unique style, and I dont really have a problem with the way any of them do it. I don't, however, like how Max Kellerman disrespected that Thai dude (who beat Choclatito) in the interview.

Comment

Love listening to Paulie M firstly, then RJJ not only due to his passion but his accent. Paulie pure for his analysis of fights second by second.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                I like Paulie. He seems like a guy who's actually there to enhance viewers knowledge of whats happening in the ring & to suggest why they are doing whatever they are doing & why its working or not working. He tends to take himself out of the equation much more than most boxers turned commentators too. Some of these other guys are just there to answer Jim's dumb question once every other round + go on some tirade about their own career or some fight they had which seems ill placed while we are watching two other guys' career in real time.
                ^So much this.

Comment

1. Foreman - always put Merchant & Larry in their places
                  2. RJJ - predicts correctly what will happen
                  3. Bobby Czyz - showtime commentator, did some of Tyson's fight after Tyson left HBO; the difference was night and day - no nonsense commentary with none of the spiteful Merchant remarks

Comment

Emmanuel steward
                    Paulie Mallignaggi

I like when Bellew commentates too

But when Tyson Fury gets a commentary job its over for everybody

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                      Emanuel Stewart and Gil Cancy were my favorites, but Clancy wasn't a fighter. Favorite fighters turned commentators would be Sean O'Grady, John Scully, and for comic relief I liked Scott Ledieux and Vinnie Pazienza during their brief turns as commentators. Mancini too.

THANK YOU, GHOST. I just did a telecast at Foxwoods for Lou DiBella a couple weks ago, hoping it turns into something bigger and steadier ASAP.

I always remember when HBO (I think)used Kevin Rooney for a broadcast once and he was WAY TOO REAL FOR THEM...he lasted, I think, one show.

Comment

Working...
                      X