Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's your favorite fighter turned commentator?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to like Bobby Czyz... One of the more analytical commentators, though at times a little full of himself...

Unfortunately for him a DUI led to his dismissal...

But it seems that former boxers turn commentator only have cyclical longevity... After a few years, it's out with the old and in with the new...

But non-boxer commentators seem to have legs, like Bernstein for example...
    Last edited by MindGame; 05-24-2017, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Paulie is good.

Comment

Emanuel Stewart and Gil Cancy were my favorites, but Clancy wasn't a fighter. Favorite fighters turned commentators would be Sean O'Grady, John Scully, and for comic relief I liked Scott Ledieux and Vinnie Pazienza during their brief turns as commentators. Mancini too.

Jones is ok but his network bias gets in the way at times. Paulie talks too much. And his nasally voice annoys me. He makes some good observations during the fight but he also shows his network bias like Jones. Foreman was awful but he made me laugh. Hopkins and Ward are horrible and Leonard always made it about himself. Bobby Czyz was good but also had a tendency to make it about himself.

Comment

Larry Merchant.

Comment

I actually think Paulie has a good mind for the sport, but his whiny voice grates on me, so I hate listening to him.

I think Tarver was really good as well, I also like Roy JJ but he's probably more of an entertaining announcer then someone who really breaks down the ins and out of the sport.

Comment

Absolutely hated him as a boxer but love Tarver as a commentator.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                I like Paulie. He seems like a guy who's actually there to enhance viewers knowledge of whats happening in the ring & to suggest why they are doing whatever they are doing & why its working or not working. He tends to take himself out of the equation much more than most boxers turned commentators too. Some of these other guys are just there to answer Jim's dumb question once every other round + go on some tirade about their own career or some fight they had which seems ill placed while we are watching two other guys' career in real time.
                that is a masterpiece of a summary!!!

Comment

Manny Stewart used to be a boxer. Im going with him. George Foreman, Roy Jones. I liked Hagler when he commentated the Hearns Roldan fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Teetotaler View Post
                    Whether its on SHO or HBO who's your favorite?

Personally I gotta go with George Foreman and obviously Emmanuel Stewart. Smooth voices as well as great analysis from both guys.
                    Honorable mention to paulie's *****ass. I can't stand roid jones biasass
                    I go with Big George and Bernard Hopkins. As much as I really don't like Hopkins' fights, I think he's pretty spot on with his commentary. And Big George was always fun.

Comment

Like it or not, Pauli is a f/(king machine! He's spitting knowledge on the viewers as fast as it's happening, he has a knack for breaking things down to laymens terms. Roy is good but his analogies usually refer to his experiences. Nah mean doe

Comment

Working...
                      X