No announcement yet.

Deontay Wilder's skills exposed by Atlas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
    Yea it is not a game of skill, because everyone slips up and when a big guy with a huge punch makes you pay you don't get another chance. In the lower weight classes you have margin for errors so skills matter more. Plus it is just harder for bigger guys to be fluid and precise with movements for a skill difference to really matter unless you have range on the other guy and power to back it up.

Heavyweights are always dancing on a razor blade, so if you are betting on skill it may work out or it may not.

Heavies shouldn't fight like lightweights and light weights should not fight like heavies and when that gets said about a fighter it is not a compliment.

I don't think you really know about heavyweight boxing if you don't get the point~
    It does not matter what weight you fight at, you will get punished for the technical sloppiness that Wilder frequently displays. Skills matter at any weight, it's freaking boxing man!!

The nerve of you to tell me I don't know about heavyweight boxing. Just because guys aren't doing shoulder rolls and pull counters at heavyweight doesn't mean there's no skill involved at that weight class or that there's no significant advantage for being significantly more skilled than your opponent. You must be trolling.

Comment

Man, that's a pretty telling clip alright.

Comment

Originally posted by NaijaD View Post
        It does not matter what weight you fight at, you will get punished for the technical sloppiness that Wilder frequently displays. Skills matter at any weight, it's freaking boxing man!!

The nerve of you to tell me I don't know about heavyweight boxing. Just because guys aren't doing shoulder rolls and pull counters at heavyweight doesn't mean there's no skill involved at that weight class. You must be trolling.
        Like I said range is the key at heavy not skill, because in range you are always in danger at heavy. Wilder has range on most guys which hides the flaw. Just because a guy looks clean does not make him overly skilled or able to avoid getting hit.

Everyone has attributes, skill and talent it is how one makes them work that makes the fighter. All that stuff is means to an end, can a guy be effective or can he not. Generally speaking to be an effective heavy an abundance of flashy skill is not a prerequisite for success, range and power are going to get you very far and if you throw in other stuff like speed an athleticism then you are creating a problematic equation that most heavies don't have the skill to balance out.

You are still missing the point and are very narrow minded in terms of how a guy can be effective. You see the trees without seeing the forest.

Wilder is not perfect and Wilder can be beaten, but that does not make him an easy guy to actually deal with and he could easily beat a guy that looks to be a better boxer because the whole picture might be a bit different then just looking at one simple aspect like appearance of skill.

Comment

Wilder is basically a lesser skilled, inferior version of Michael Grant.

Comment

Originally posted by Thurman View Post
            Well that's just like your opinion, Teddy. Could you step in the ring and do what Deontay does? Could you even survive more than a few rounds with Artur Szpilka?? Looks like Atlas is just another big mouth with no action to back it up.
            Problem is he's not wrong. There were at least 8 clear opportunities I saw during that fight where someone other than Szpilka would have nailed Wilder.

Oh, that's right, someone did - and they covered it up

Comment

I thought we were all already in agreement that AJ should be favored against Wilder and that Wilder isn't more technical or more skilled than AJ. However, with Wilder...it literally only takes one punch. The man can concuss you with the first punch he lands. That's a scary thought.

Comment

I don't have any confidence in Wilder's boxing ability but his power is legit.

I'd put my money on AJ though

Comment

Did you even need a video to know that Wilder has weaknesses? I don't have any confidence in Wilder's boxing ability but I think his power is legit.

I'd put my money on AJ though

Comment

Originally posted by NaijaD View Post
                    "Heavyweights is not a game of skills"

Really guys??? Yeah I mean you won't find a Mayweather or Rigondeaux at heavyweight but it doesn't mean any 250 pound bum off the street with a punch can top the division.

Lord, the blasphemy that guys will spout to convince themselves that Wilder is good.
                    The mistake I would say you are making is assuming Wilder has no skill. He has encapsulated a style that is perfect for his particular physical attributes and talents.

He may make a ton of technical mistakes, but what he does he does VERY well.

Comment

That power is a good equalizer though and someone has yet to make him pay for those mistakes

Comment

Working...
                      X