Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward's Perspective on Role Race Plays in How He is Covered

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Andre Ward's Perspective on Role Race Plays in How He is Covered

By Keith Idec - NEW YORK Andre Ward answered the loaded question thoughtfully and honestly. Race is always a sensitive subject, particularly for star athletes taught to avoid such potentially controversial conversations with the media. Ward joked that...
    [Click Here To Read More]

Someone pass the popcorn, please.

Comment

I've seen Youtube comments with tons of likes talking about how Ward is kocky and arrogant and they want to see him lose yet nothing about Kovalev saying stuff like "I'm going to end his career" and other threats.

I just can't help but think it's because one is black and the other is white.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Boi 360 View Post
        I've seen Youtube comments with tons of likes talking about how Ward is kocky and arrogant and they want to see him lose yet nothing about Kovalev saying stuff like "I'm going to end his career" and other threats.

Yea, it's funny as to why the soft-spoken, but confident individual catches all the flack but the abrasive one who has shown himself to be a racist on more than one occasion is coddled and has excuses made for him. And, I don't even think it's all about race. Boxing fans just adore the aggressive, loud ones, and generally show more allegiance to them, regardless of color.

I'm a fan of both but when Kovalev says ****** stuff, it's always excused. Ward says ****** things and people go apeshyt.

Comment

Most of what Ward said is on point Americans who would rather cheer for an Russian than an American Olympian is unusual one can only assume they identify with race more than nationality.

Comment

Or we can think about this in a more rational way. Most people thought Kovalev won. I can state with confidence that Youtube boxing commentors are casuals. All casuals thought Kovalev won. They wouldn't listen to the words of a guy that "robbed" the other.

Comment

Shout out J Prince and Rap-A-Lot Records. Rap a lot. Rap a lot. J Prince always sees to it that his peoples get paid.

Comment

"it's a mantra, repeatedly say this.... it's not you, it's just everybodys RACIST"

Comment

"I feel like certain fighters would’ve got the, ‘Oh, my God! It was the greatest comeback in boxing history!’ But because I don’t always get that kind of response, it keeps me grounded."

...mmmkay

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Boi 360 View Post

This is very true. I recall the lead up to the Ward Froch fight where Carl was doing all the trash talking and Ward was just ignoring it and acting above it and there were people on here calling Ward the arrogant one as opposed to Froch.

When they were questioned about why they thought Ward was arrogant and not Froch they would respond with answers like "I don't know why, there's just something about Ward I don't like" These guys couldn't even admit it to themselves. Most of us know why Kovalev is given a pass to trash talk and not Ward but few will admit it.

Comment

Working...
                    X