No announcement yet.

Teddy Atlas on why he doesn't have gg top 10 but has Loma #1

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Red-Cyclone View Post
    Yep definite case of doesn't follow all the names in the sport I honestly believe he is just playing eenie meenie miny mo with a bunch of P4P names he has heard of and a bunch of guys who he does watch i.e Thurman and Spence.
    or he doesnt follow the boxing propaganda where were all supposed to think a certain way or were bashed

Comment

Originally posted by cork View Post
      This one's easy. Canelo a two weight champion. He's moving up a weight class even though I dont agree with it. I think the most outrageous thing is Thurman 4th. I'm not even sure what he sees in Thurman or Thurman have a decent resume to warrant him to be that high.

In fact I have Danny higher than Thurman and he's not anywhere my top 10. I also have Thurman beating Danny though. Lol.
      Canelo turned pro at 18, so obviously he's going to move up divisions, but that doesn't make him better P4P. How many weight divisions a guy fought in is not relevant to a P4P discussion. The clue is in the term itself!

These lists are just subjective opinion, and everyone is entitled to an opinion. But saying one guy beats another guy the same weight as him, but isn't as good, P4P, is illogical. And didn't Teddy say that he's rating them by how good they are NOW, not by their past records.

Comment

i have no problem with lomachenko being #1 right now, to be honest. a p4p list is not an evaluation of a fighter's resume! it's all about how good you and the rest of the pack are right now. gonzales has been showing vulnerability. so has golovkin. ward and kovalev boxed well, but you can argue that both are coming off of losses.

lomachenko is the most skilled boxer in teh sport right now. don't give me that ward crap. believe me, if ward could still fly around the ring like lomachenko he would. instead he needs to fight rough, hold, take some shots, and make adjustments that help him wear you down. lomachenko is so fast and fluid that he adjusts before you get to him. he just keeps you out of his league with his footwork. then he knocks you around the ring with his power and combinations while you're off balanace.

i have no problem at all with somebody thinking lomachenko is the best fighter in the sport right now. who is beating him if all fighters were the same size? he's got some of the very best footwork i have ever seen. arguably the best amateur boxer ever. think about that for a minute. there are a hell of a lot more amateurs than pros. 350 and 1 is his amateur record, essentially. he is scary good.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
          Canelo turned pro at 18, so obviously he's going to move up divisions, but that doesn't make him better P4P. How many weight divisions a guy fought in is not relevant to a P4P discussion. The clue is in the term itself!

These lists are just subjective opinion, and everyone is entitled to an opinion. But saying one guy beats another guy the same weight as him, but isn't as good, P4P, is illogical. And didn't Teddy say that he's rating them by how good they are NOW, not by their past records.
          Its subjecive and i disagree but its a valid argument that canelo is smaller than ggg and if he lost he lost to a bigger man. Just because they fight at the same weight now doesn't mean they're the same size really isnt illogical...

I think ggg is a top 3 fighter though and probably won't e challenge until he moves up two division because 168 is worse than 160.

Comment

Originally posted by cork View Post
            Its subjecive and i disagree but its a valid argument that canelo is smaller than ggg and if he lost he lost to a bigger man. Just because they fight at the same weight now doesn't mean they're the same size really isnt illogical...

I think ggg is a top 3 fighter though and probably won't e challenge until he moves up two division because 168 is worse than 160.
            The last fight day weights released for Canelo were heavier than GGG has ever weighed on fight day, and he is about to fight Chavez at 164.5. Canelo is not smaller than GGG. He's just younger and therefore able to cut more weight for fights.

Teddy, by saying that GGG beats Canelo head to head, proves that he is classing them as being equal in weight. In a P4P discussion, who beats who head to head can only be applied to same size fighters. Otherwise, it makes no sense.

Comment

IMO Thurman could be lower top 10 but 4 is too high, I think Spence is the goods but having him top 10 at the moment is crazy.

Golovkin is top 10 for sure, maybe in 2013 you could argue differently.

Comment

spence jr, thurman and canelo on the top 10 but not GGG

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                  i have no problem with lomachenko being #1 right now, to be honest. a p4p list is not an evaluation of a fighter's resume! it's all about how good you and the rest of the pack are right now. gonzales has been showing vulnerability. so has golovkin. ward and kovalev boxed well, but you can argue that both are coming off of losses.

lomachenko is the most skilled boxer in teh sport right now. don't give me that ward crap. believe me, if ward could still fly around the ring like lomachenko he would. instead he needs to fight rough, hold, take some shots, and make adjustments that help him wear you down. lomachenko is so fast and fluid that he adjusts before you get to him. he just keeps you out of his league with his footwork. then he knocks you around the ring with his power and combinations while you're off balanace.

i have no problem at all with somebody thinking lomachenko is the best fighter in the sport right now. who is beating him if all fighters were the same size? he's got some of the very best footwork i have ever seen. arguably the best amateur boxer ever. think about that for a minute. there are a hell of a lot more amateurs than pros. 350 and 1 is his amateur record, essentially. he is scary good.
                  Yeah I agree. Loma has absolutely ridiculous skill. Dude is uber talented. He has the entire toolbox, and the toolbox is so loaded that you can barely shut it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    Yeah I agree. Loma has absolutely ridiculous skill. Dude is uber talented. He has the entire toolbox, and the toolbox is so loaded that you can barely shut it.

if he had a fresh mullet he'd be the next ali, robinson, or sutherland.

Comment

Originally posted by Caught Square View Post
                      IMO Thurman could be lower top 10 but 4 is too high, I think Spence is the goods but having him top 10 at the moment is crazy.

Golovkin is top 10 for sure, maybe in 2013 you could argue differently.
                      He shouldn't be nowhere near top ten to be honest
                      Not if it's not Danny in there

Comment

Working...
                      X