No announcement yet.

Jack Dempsey vs Today's Heavyweights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
    And I'm saying those pre war Super Heavyweights were not as strong or as technically sound as their modern counterparts. It's common knowledge the big men couldn't fight for *hit in those days. The fight game has most definitely evolved can you not see it with your own eyes when you watch the older footage?.
    The amateur system has breeded the best fighters. Even Sugar Ray won the golden gloves. Ali Gold. That trial and error is nethandral type of thinking which just validates my point even further.

I'm not saying the old fighters were bums and you can never take away Dempseys career but IMO Dempsey would never hold a world title in the HW division. Probably Cruiserweight however a young pup like Usyk would box circles round Dempsey, easily.
    " It's common knowledge the big men couldn't fight for *hit in those days."

Lmao you are such a mainstream casual. You have no proof to back up that claim.

The fight game has definitley not evolved. In fact I would say it regressed. Fighters rarely parry the jab anymore and quality inside fighting skills is a rarity. 100 years ago if you couldn't fight on the inside then you wouldn't survive.

*neanderthal

All the amateur system does is give fighters time to hone skills. This argument is baseless since the quantity with which fighters fought (once or twice a month) made up for lack of amateur system and there were better quality trainers around. a lot more knowledgeable about the all around fight game not just one aspect if that like they are today.

There are 4 titles to be held you can bet your house that Dempsey would win at least one.

You never answered me, who has Joshua fought that will be remembered in history as an atg or even a great fighter?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
      " It's common knowledge the big men couldn't fight for *hit in those days."

Lmao you are such a mainstream casual. You have no proof to back up that claim.

The fight game has definitley not evolved. In fact I would say it regressed. Fighters rarely parry the jab anymore and quality inside fighting skills is a rarity. 100 years ago if you couldn't fight on the inside then you wouldn't survive.

*neanderthal

All the amateur system does is give fighters time to hone skills. This argument is baseless since the quantity with which fighters fought (once or twice a month) made up for lack of amateur system and there were better quality trainers around. a lot more knowledgeable about the all around fight game not just one aspect if that like they are today.

There are 4 titles to be held you can bet your house that Dempsey would win at least one.

You never answered me, who has Joshua fought that will be remembered in history as an atg or even a great fighter?
      Dempsey would probably win the IBO title against a career journey man if it was vacant but he would go nowhere near the sanctioning body's titles. You also know what I said about Usyk was right. If you can't use your eyes and see that Cruiserweight Usyk would destroy Dempsey then I seriously don't know what you and the people agree with your are watching. It's seriously like watching a different variation of what we call boxing today. Please stop comparing him to Super HWs. I don't need to explain who Joshua beat to validate my point.

As for the amateur system and your *neanderthal type philosophy I don't know whether you intentionally keep trying to validate my point. 'All it Is, is a place to hone their skills'. Are you being for real?. Roy Jones jr Silver, Floyd Bronze, Ward Gold, De Gale gold, Badou Olympian, Loma double Gold, Rigondeux double gold, Lewis Gold, AJ Gold.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
        "Floyd Mayweather is better than Sugar Ray Robinson in the skills department and only those who are brainwashed by nostalgia would refute my claims".....................

You don't know what your watching if you think Mayweather has more skills, talent and guts than Robinson! There is NOTHING that Mayweather does that is better than Sugar Ray.

You are welcome to your opinion but my opinion has more value because I actually worked in the business. If your a dentist or architect I'm not valuing my opinion of those professions over yours.

Dempsey was a top tier talent when evaluating him in his style and with his form. He was not a stand up boxer like Wlad. Wlad was very successful at utilizing his athletic ability especially learning a methodology from Stewart. Dempsey was also extremely gifted performing his style as a pressure fighter who had a great two handed attack.

Out of all the sports watched since the 1930's boxing has the least innovations as to techniques applied. There are no new punches thrown in fact there's less. The duration of title fights has decreased! There are more titles on the line offered by watered down federations than ever before.
        In regards to the heavyweight competition the Klitz era was as bad as the early 50's up to 1960. It many ways it was worse because there so many more boxers available with the popularity of the amateur programs throughout the world.

People are only speculating about out comes, to decide a man like Dempsey has "no chance" just sounds like a boxings fanboy observation.
        I'm not a huge fan of Dempsey I just admired his determination and attitude when the bell rang. When a fighter like Mike Tyson tells everyone he met when he was a kid that he is trying to emulate Dempsey that should explain to fans how Dempsey is
        held in such high esteem.
        Dempsey came to destroy not have the judges play a roll. Fighters who bring that methodology are always more impressive than a fellow like Wlad who jabs and holds. Mayweather couldn't carry Robinson's jock, come on Mayweather is a 130 pounder not a welter yet there are people on this forum who think he's ATG over everyone? Really he had 12 fights at 147! ok enough of this tripe.
        Elroy would be right in the middle with toilet paper on his shoe!

Ray
        And Maestro, I have heard through the g****vine we might have another alphabet organization with belts to give out...Just what we need!

Comment

• Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
          Strength would be a problem because physics is physics and evolution is evolution whether you like it or not. Barring Willard who was a world champ what one of those guys were actually top contenders? Were they Olympic champions turning to pro? Were they title holders? Seems as if you've just picked the biggest boxers on his CV to name drop...

Have you actually seen these fighters fight? Their stance? Incredibly poor compared to nowadays. Your all lying to yourselfs just to keep with the in crowd.
          It has nothing to do with evolution this was addressed in the thread.

No. The stances were not out of whack you simply have to understand what the fighters were up to! For example, "why do the older fighers often tilt their heads?" Read up on creating a false center line and Read up on using the shoulder to parry punches both things done to take the power off of punches and make the other guy miss. In the older pre Louis guys they are often fighting off the back leg, this is again, because of how things were set up during the bare knuckle days. When you see guys like Charles Martin standing stationary and squared up to a guy like Joshua who can punch...Let me just say, you would never see a technically decent fighter in bygone days so stationary and without some method to take the power away from the punch...Even the big guys!

Squaring up is what amateurs do...it is obvious, you cannot react to the other person's movements because of your distance and because of your vulnerability... and you can both hit each other giving you no advantage. For example, Bernard Hopkins uses a false line of attack at times, Dimitri Pirov is another throwback fighter. There are many guys who are good and technically superb and most of them study the methods of the guys you think look bad!
          Last edited by billeau2; 01-17-2017, 04:39 AM.

Comment

• All these people complaining Dempsey was basic have probably only ever seen highlights of his KOs. When he had an opponent going, he did tend to jump in with his punches and throw wild, wild shots but if you take the time to properly watch those of his fights you can find on film, then you will see he is a lot smarter than he is given credit for.

He could certainly bob and weave his way from opponents punches and he had an almost philly shell style of placing his hands and shoulders to roll with the punches and take the sting away from them. I think he could match a lot of historical heavyweights for skill and certainly match the big lumbering oaths of today...but that's also the problem. Dempsey was too small even by heavyweight standards of the 60s and 70s onwards, let alone modern fighters like Wlad, Fury and AJ. Could he make them miss? Yes. Could he catch them with hard counters? Yes. Would he be able to take a 250lb Wlad resting on his neck and shoulders, witha hugh reach advantage and stabing a long jab in his face? No.

Dempsey would certainly be competitive with any of the 6'3'' or plus heavyweights, weighing 220 or more but I don't think he'd beat the best ones. Would he beat some of the less skilled, lesser punching fighters heavyweight has around? Certainly.

Comment

• lol I'm amazed by some of the comments in this thread.

Being taller than somebody doesn't mean you're 'bigger' than them and being bigger doesn't mean you're better anyway.

Dempsey would beat most, if not all of these current HWs to a pulp.

Comment

• Lol @ dempsey beating the likes of wlad and joshua.

I roll my eyes whenever a young boxing fan tries to praise these fighters from the 1920s as if they were actually there to experience the whole thing.. im not going to judge a fighter off these black and white 10 minute clips off youtube. I need to see a few fights in full and with clarity.

It makes me chuckle when a fairly young fan talks about Jack Johnson or gene tunney like they understand these fighters inside and out. Reading old articles or listening to what your grandfather told you isnt good enough. One had to actually live in the moment to know ...

Anyway, Amir Mansour would wipe the floor with dempsey

Comment

• Originally posted by FinitoxDinamita View Post
                  Lol @ dempsey beating the likes of wlad and joshua.

I roll my eyes whenever a young boxing fan tries to praise these fighters from the 1920s as if they were actually there to experience the whole thing.. im not going to judge a fighter off these black and white 10 minute clips off youtube. I need to see a few fights in full and with clarity.

It makes me chuckle when a fairly young fan talks about Jack Johnson or gene tunney like they understand these fighters inside and out. Reading old articles or listening to what your grandfather told you isnt good enough. One had to actually live in the moment to know ...

Anyway, Amir Mansour would wipe the floor with dempsey
                  It's called studying the sport.

If you haven't seen enough of the old school fighters, what makes you think the new generation guys would beat them? It works both ways.

Comment

• Too small for current heavyweights he'd get eaten up against them I think he'd be a top 5 LHW thought.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Locke View Post
                      It's called studying the sport.

If you haven't seen enough of the old school fighters, what makes you think the new generation guys would beat them? It works both ways.
                      Im a middle aged man whose been into boxing hardcore since the 80s.

Ive seen all those old videos countless times and based on the eyeball test, Dempsey doesnt have much hope against these modern HWs.

Comment

Working...
                      X