Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jack Dempsey vs Today's Heavyweights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 6 ft 5+ giant from today is more competent than one from any time pre 2000s

Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
    My point being a 6 ft 5+ giant from today is more competent than one from pre 1930s. You really disagree with this?.
    I agree size could be a hinderance overall, you only have to look as far as Rahman, Oliver & Ross.
    As much as it pains me to say this. Yes I do agree a 6 ft 5+ giant from today is more competent than one from pre 1930s I would even say a a 6 ft 5+ giant from today is more competent than one from any time pre 1930s
    Last edited by jack p; 07-18-2017, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• simply not a student of the game

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
      Dempsey would be cruiserweight contender today, and probably champ with one of the belts. HW would e be difficult for him but he'd beat many top 20 guys.

And anyone who thinks Dempsey, the first truely modern boxer, is crude is simply not a student of the game.
      So true the only thing crude is the quality of the film.

As Ray Arcel said
      (For those of you who think "Well Ray Arcel was looking back to the glory days of their past.
      Everyone thinks the boxers of their time were better")

I remind you Arcel trained Duran and thought Duran was as good as anyone past and present.)
      Arcel said "When anyone talks of who the greatest heavyweight of all time is.
      Dempsey should be the only guy everyone thinks about.
      The night he won the title from Willard.
      WHO WAS BETTER THEN THAT!!!"

Check out this 4 punch combination.
      Or more to be more accurate.. 4 separate
      and succinct explosions of body weight

Dempsey is at his prime as a fighter.
      He's literally hurling his body at his opponent.
      His punching accuracy is pinpoint.. in other words.
      "Every punch landing the way he intends them
      to land"
      The result:
      A man whose been hit hard enough in his past to damn near tear his ear off.
      Yet never before been knocked off his feet
      Is dropped like an ox in a slaughterhouse.

Dempsey who has just turned 24.
      But with an unheard of 60+ recorded professional fights under his belt already, at this young age.

Also the survivor of perhaps hundreds of fights
      in mining camps and saloons since he was 16.

Trained to be a fighter since age 6 by his brothers who are both professional fighters.

The only thing crude about this resume is the deteriorated quality of film stock these exploits are recorded on

In many ways we never got to see Dempsey at
      his best. The closest we got was Dempsey vs Willard.
      His best was 1918 the year he had most of his fights.
      Dempsey with his
      ("As soon as the bell rang his one goal was to get on his man and knock him horizontal") attitude
      You didn't turn him loose once the bell rang.
      "YOU UNLEASHED HIM"

Last edited by jack p; 07-12-2017, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jack p View Post
        As much as it pains me to say this. Yes I do agree a 6 ft 5+ giant from today is more competent than one from pre 1930s I would even say a a 6 ft 5+ giant from today is more competent than one from any time pre 2000s
        I've really enjoyed reading your posts.

The only thing I disagree with is where you've said a 6'5 + HW of today, is more competent than one that preceded the 00's.

Maybe in general, but there's obvious exceptions.

Deontay Wilder is crude and uncoordinated.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
          Dempsey would destroy guys like Klitschko, Joshua, Fury, Parker, and Wilder.

They wouldn't know what to do again at his head movement and two fisted body attack.
          So he destroys guys who move good like Josh and fury yet never facing anybody close to the move to as these dudes stop trolling this whole post is ridiculous you crazy dummy

Comment

• Another page where mutiple crazy people say the person in a era fighting people who had no real skill and bad Movement

and think cause they did good means they could do good vs people like fury and Anthony who move way better compared to that trash era and would go undefeated had they been in that time nobody should have ever said jack would win he wouldnt never make pro you crazy dummies

Comment

• Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
              He wouldn't be in the top 10.

Today's HWs are too big and strong for him. Don't give me that **** about Dempsey beating the likes of Willard and Firpo, because today's HWs are much, much more skilled than either of them.
              Its always odd they even compare them those dudes was trash stiff bad movement why compare them to anybody from 70s-90s odd

Comment

• If Dempsey would be good today a guy like Bertebiev would be heavyweight champ now. Same size, better fighter.

Comment

• nevermind heavyweight, he probably doesn't even beat most of the guys at 160.
                  moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by jack p View Post
                    simply not a student of the game

So true the only thing crude is the quality of the film.

As Ray Arcel said
                    (For those of you who think "Well Ray Arcel was looking back to the glory days of their past.
                    Everyone thinks the boxers of their time were better")

I remind you Arcel trained Duran and thought Duran was as good as anyone past and present.)
                    Arcel said "When anyone talks of who the greatest heavyweight of all time is.
                    Dempsey should be the only guy everyone thinks about.
                    The night he won the title from Willard.
                    WHO WAS BETTER THEN THAT!!!"

Check out this 4 punch combination.
                    Or more to be more accurate.. 4 separate
                    and succinct explosions of body weight

Dempsey is at his prime as a fighter.
                    He's literally hurling his body at his opponent.
                    His punching accuracy is pinpoint.. in other words.
                    "Every punch landing the way he intends them
                    to land"
                    The result:
                    A man whose been hit hard enough in his past to damn near tear his ear off.
                    Yet never before been knocked off his feet
                    Is dropped like an ox in a slaughterhouse.

Dempsey who has just turned 24.
                    But with an unheard of 60+ recorded professional fights under his belt already, at this young age.

Also the survivor of perhaps hundreds of fights
                    in mining camps and saloons since he was 16.

Trained to be a fighter since age 6 by his brothers who are both professional fighters.

The only thing crude about this resume is the deteriorated quality of film stock these exploits are recorded on

In many ways we never got to see Dempsey at
                    his best. The closest we got was Dempsey vs Willard.
                    His best was 1918 the year he had most of his fights.
                    Dempsey with his
                    ("As soon as the bell rang his one goal was to get on his man and knock him horizontal") attitude
                    You didn't turn him loose once the bell rang.
                    "YOU UNLEASHED HIM"
                    - - Yupsir.

Jack problem today is he ain't enough of a candyboy to attract modern fight fans flubbering over Fury ducking record purses vs AJ for the low hanging fruits of Deyonce.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

You're not the alternative view, you're the mainstream opinion. Almost everyone and their mom thinks that today's fighters are better just because they are bigger and have the sacred "modern sports science."

A 5'10" David Tua, with his limited skill set, could last the distance with crème de la crème Lennox Lewis.

But somehow the much more skilled and nuanced punching machine Jack Dempsey, at 6'1", wouldn't last 2 rounds with green Anthony Joshua?
                      Why is it all you idiots say how jack and Louis beat big men why do you always leave out how they moved which was trash why is it impressive beating dudes who moved like that and badly skilled

It's like you people never seen boxers after that era which is odd

Oh beat big men no matter if they moved bad means can beat skilled ones to who move good no doesn't work that way crazy idiot he has to have someone to compare to and its none
                      Last edited by Ascended; 01-16-2022, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X