No announcement yet.

Jack Dempsey vs Today's Heavyweights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
    These threads are always cringe worthy. Some sig worthy material here though: "people are faster now"... REally? So genetically our autonomic nervous system has changed huh? Ted Williams the hitter remains one of a few scoring incredibly high on a reflex test given to pilots...that was in what the early 40's?

"Weight makes great" lets dispel this: Any fighter so desiring could put weight on. Ray Corso says it best "the heavyweight division is an open division." And there is more to a heavyweight than weight...It has to do with your thickness, the size of your bones, your comfort level, your punch tolerance, etc.

Now lets talk about Dempsey: The end of the eighties was a true milestone... Tyson specifically was a special case because with Tyson had been a few select trainers who had actually seen the end of Jack Johnson's career in the ring, all the way up to iron mike. Whats interesting is a majority of these guys, and more than a few who had been there for Dempsey after JJ..., were asked who they thought the best heavy weight fighter they ever got to see...Most of them suprisingly chose Dempsey. Furthermore Tunney, who worked with Corbett, fought the likes of Greb, thought Dempsey was the best he ever fought.

With this in mind what would happen if Dempsey fought in the modern era? This is a very interesting question and there is actually some data. Gene Tunney trained with Corbett to develop his style. Corbett, though technically not a bare knuckles fighter was the last great heavyweight of that era. His technical approach, distancing, strategies were derived from working with Corbett who he admired as a mentor.

Tunney used these methods against the very intelligent and modern Dempsey. Dempsey's approach, coming in and establishing a true puncher's distance, as opposed to the James Figg derived system which was really a fencing system. To understand this watch how Jack Johnson, for example, starts his flurries with a step in, like he is running in, and watch how he sets up in doing this from at least 3 feet away from his opponent. Tunney was always at this distance, and would set up his attacks from this distance when given a chance... much like a fencer will start off with a lunge, and counter off the parry.

In this way there was a clear distinction between attack and defend, and instead of counter punching per se, one would catch the punches with their gloves to parry. Dempsey by contrast would start his attack right from a squared up position in front, his counters resulting from slipping the punches and coming into the body. Dempsey would also throw a hard jab, often stepping in, instead of a lead hand punch, which the old system used. Tunney knew a jab but often, like his mentor and the old system, would keep the foward hand like a piston, and throw it with no turn of the wrist, towards the bottom of the chin. This was a knock out blow when delivered with small gloves or no gloves, but would hardly register with gloves used today.

My point is that Dempsey in theory and practice was a harbinger to the final orthodoxy that was Joe Louis. But what Louis emphasized in technical punches that were perfectly executed, Dempsey was more interested in hitting things hard and working into position where an untelegraphed shot, could be delivered...at such a range that it could KO one in a telephone booth! for those who remember "telephone booths." lol

And that...is what made Jack so ****ing dangerous folks...He was untelegraphed, could hit you at any time because of his new distance, being squared up at all times, and had perfected the short hook, stepping jab and body attack. Against the taller fighters today I see no evidence that they could stop this attack. Dempsey was relentless, was really a lot like prime Tyson...Tyson studied Dempsey and really aped his techniques.
    Great post mate.

Jack was unique.

I'm just about to start reading his biography: The Manassa Mauler.

Comment

• Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post

That looked like this. Come fight night.

**** out of here. He cut maybe 6-8lbs between chilling and actual fighting. He basically fought where he walks around.

You're a clown.
      The top photo is from the early 30s when Dempsey was going to attempt a comeback.

Here's the shape Dempsey was in:

Comment

• Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
        You're one of the biggest ****ing jokes here.

Seriously, your posts are cringeworthy.

Of course Carl is out of fighting shape, walking around at over 200 pounds you fool

AGAIN:

Jack's peak weight was between 185-195.

That means he was roughly 10-20 pounds HEAVIER than what Carl was on fight night.

He was also: stronger, faster, more powerful, and he had a COMPLETELEY DIFFERENT style.

Stop digging a bigger hole for yourself.

Their styles are nothing alike, and to say Carl is the modern day Dempsey, is probably the stupidest thing I've ever read on here since being a member.
        You're a fucking clown.

You can't even answer why people cut weight.
        You don't even understand the preparation for sport. In this case, combat sport.

Let me end your life right now.

Froch naturally walks around at 202lbs. This means that he is comfortably enjoying life like any other moderate man. This does NOT equate "fat" and out of shape. This means that he is simply an average man. Very few men in the WORLD walk around at sub 10% body fat.
        http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...52_634x470.jpg
        This is Carl Froch in a family photo with sweats and a t-shirt. That is not a man "fat" and "out of shape". You clown.

Jack Dempsey cut maybe 8lbs. **** I'll give him 10lbs with a combination of mostly water and fat, very little muscle loss. Which is obvious in his pictures. Maybe skimming 12% body fat at best.

So you say Dempsey weighs natural 202lbs like Froch? He cuts 8 lbs. He is 194lbs. Just like you say his "peak" conditioning is. Which as we know by advancements in science and kinesiology. He isn't even maximizing his potential output by cutting 8lbs and fighting at HW. (He could actually put himself at a disadvantage doing this. But in those days, this was not the case majority time.)
        I'm using all the data that you're providing in this example of Jack as well.

Froch goes from 202lbs to weigh in at 168lbs. That's 34 pounds! You say Froch in-ring is 175? So he cuts "significant" weight (mostly muscle and fat) to roughly 175 and drops 4-8lbs of water weight. Because real world. He is not rebuilding 7lbs of muscle in one night. Not a single pounds of that weight from 168 to 175 is muscle mass.
        If Froch went from 202lbs to 194lbs. It has nothing to do with peak conditioning you dumb ass. He would actually feel perfectly comfortable because
        1. He does not walk around "fat" and "out of shape" like a Ricky Hatton does and...
        2. He would not have to reduce his hydration and muscle mass (a result of cutting weight).
        However, by default, would reduce his maximum potential output (power, strength etc)

So your theory of "peak" conditioning is bullsh.t because he does not cut weight for "peak" conditioning. he cuts weight for maximum output against potentially smaller men. Meaning he would potentially punch harder and stand stronger in the ring against men who cut maybe 5lbs and fight a naturally bigger Carl Froch.

This is why people cut weight in sports. If Carl Froch cut 8lbs from 202lbs. He would not have any real advantage over any other HW. This is why he does not fight HW.

Him cutting 8lbs from 202lbs does not mean that he is not in "peak" conditioning. All it means is that he cut 8lbs instead of 34lbs.
        He can go from 202lbs to 194lbs and be 10% body fat, ready to go. But as I stated before. Doing that, he is at no real advantage in the ring, if he fought say Deontay Wilder. Who is a HW at 6'7" 227lbs with an 83in reach.

You. Are. A. Clown.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
          The top photo is from the early 30s when Dempsey was going to attempt a comeback.

Here's the shape Dempsey was in:
          It's good shape. I'm not downplaying his physical shape at all.

In that picture he is what? Around 12% body fat? Wouldn't you say?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
            Dempsey could be a heavyweight easily. You all don't know much about Dempsey but I have done a lot of research on him. Before the 2nd Tunney fight Dempsey was 227 lbs. He trained down to 205 lbs and was in good fighting condition but Tunney was fast and elusive so Dempsey trained down to 192 in order to be fast enough to stay with Tunney. If Dempsey was ready to fight at 205 lbs then he probably could have bulked up a little more for a 12 rdr against big guys who aren't fast/elusive.
            I'd like to see Flicker's response to this.

Apparently, Jack's walking around weight was only 6-8 pounds above his fighting weight.

Oh, and he had a similar style and build to Carl Froch.

Ha!

Comment

How did he get in such good shape without modern sports science and S&C coaches?

Comment

Less than that probably the 8-10 range. The thing bad about black and white photos is they really are very unflattering physically most of the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                  How did he get in such good shape without modern sports science and S&C coaches?
                  Anyone can workout. I never said Jack Dempsey wasn't in good shape.

I never mentioned anything about conditioning. The other guy claimed Froch's "peak" conditioning was 175lbs. Which doesn't even matter because Froch could go from 202lbs to 194lbs and be sub 10% body fat and be primed ready to go.

Comment

You're a fucking clown.

You can't even answer why people cut weight.
                    You don't even understand the preparation for sport. In this case, combat sport.

Let me end your life right now.

Froch naturally walks around at 202lbs. This means that he is comfortably enjoying life like any other moderate man. This does NOT equate "fat" and out of shape. This means that he is simply an average man. Very few men in the WORLD walk around at sub 10% body fat.
                    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...52_634x470.jpg
                    This is Carl Froch in a family photo with sweats and a t-shirt. That is not a man "fat" and "out of shape". You clown.

Jack Dempsey cut maybe 8lbs. **** I'll give him 10lbs with a combination of mostly water and fat, very little muscle loss. Which is obvious in his pictures. Maybe skimming 12% body fat at best.

So you say Dempsey weighs natural 202lbs like Froch? He cuts 8 lbs. He is 194lbs. Just like you say his "peak" conditioning is. Which as we know by advancements in science and kinesiology. He isn't even maximizing his potential output by cutting 8lbs and fighting at HW. (He could actually put himself at a disadvantage doing this. But in those days, this was not the case majority time.)
                    I'm using all the data that you're providing in this example of Jack as well.

Froch goes from 202lbs to weigh in at 168lbs. That's 34 pounds! You say Froch in-ring is 175? So he cuts "significant" weight (mostly muscle and fat) to roughly 175 and drops 4-8lbs of water weight. Because real world. He is not rebuilding 7lbs of muscle in one night. Not a single pounds of that weight from 168 to 175 is muscle mass.
                    If Froch went from 202lbs to 194lbs. It has nothing to do with peak conditioning you dumb ass. He would actually feel perfectly comfortable because
                    1. He does not walk around "fat" and "out of shape" like a Ricky Hatton does and...
                    2. He would not have to reduce his hydration and muscle mass (a result of cutting weight).
                    However, by default, would reduce his maximum potential output (power, strength etc)

So your theory of "peak" conditioning is bullsh.t because he does not cut weight for "peak" conditioning. he cuts weight for maximum output against potentially smaller men. Meaning he would potentially punch harder and stand stronger in the ring against men who cut maybe 5lbs and fight a naturally bigger Carl Froch.

This is why people cut weight in sports. If Carl Froch cut 8lbs from 202lbs. He would not have any real advantage over any other HW. This is why he does not fight HW.

Him cutting 8lbs from 202lbs does not mean that he is not in "peak" conditioning. All it means is that he cut 8lbs instead of 34lbs.
                    He can go from 202lbs to 194lbs and be 10% body fat, ready to go. But as I stated before. Doing that, he is at no real advantage in the ring, if he fought say Deontay Wilder. Who is a HW at 6'7" 227lbs with an 83in reach.

You. Are. A. Clown.
                    Just STOP you ****ing absolute ******!

I didn't mean Carl was fat as in walking around with a huge gut, I meant in terms of being able to fight another man.

**** me!

At over 200 pounds, Carl is in no condition to fight a 12 round fight. In boxing terms, he is fat and out of shape.

His optimum weight is SMW, where he spent his entire career, weighing around 175 on fight night.

Again: Jack's peak weight was between 185-195 pounds, which is TWENTY ****ing pounds HEAVIER!

They were NOT the same size.

When Jack walked around, he could go up to 220 plus, like has just being noted.

What a ****ing simpleton you are.

Seriously, stop posting your cringeworthy figures.

Why did Carl cut so much weight to fight at SMW?

Why didn't he fight higher than SMW?

How did Jack ONLY cut 8 pounds???

In fact, forget the above, and just tell me how their styles were similar.

Haha!

Comment

• Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
                      I'd like to see Flicker's response to this.

Apparently, Jack's walking around weight was only 6-8 pounds above his fighting weight.

Oh, and he had a similar style and build to Carl Froch.

Ha!
                      You even said that Jack was 200+lbs like Froch but wanted to say Jack's "peak" conditioning is basically high 180s and low 190s.

I just ran with what YOU said and compared weight cuts.

I didn't know how much Jack weighed natural. YOU were the one who said Jack was like Froch walking around and then provided the information of Jack's in-ring weight.

Comment

Working...
                      X