No announcement yet.

Jack Dempsey vs Today's Heavyweights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
    Anyone can workout. I never said Jack Dempsey wasn't in good shape.

I never mentioned anything about conditioning. The other guy claimed Froch's "peak" conditioning was 175lbs. Which doesn't even matter because Froch could go from 202lbs to 194lbs and be sub 10% body fat and be primed ready to go.
    Ready to go against WHO??

Comment

You even said that Jack was 200+lbs like Froch but wanted to say Jack's "peak" conditioning is basically high 180s and low 190s.

I just ran with what YOU said and compared weight cuts.

I didn't know how much Jack weighed natural. YOU were the one who said Jack was like Froch walking around and then provided the information of Jack's in-ring weight.
      I said Jack's walking around weight was above 200 pounds.

You said he only cut about 8 pounds, and tried to prove it with 2 photos, that were years apart, without also knowing the context of the first one.

Jack's optimum weight for his build was 185-195 pounds.

Carl's optimum weight for his build was 168-175 pounds.

It doesn't get any simpler than that.

Jack was naturally a bigger guy.

Jack would never be a SMW today.

Now tell me how their styles were similar, when Jack was a bob and weave knockout machine.

How the **** can Carl Froch be the modern day Jack Dempsey?

Comment

It's good shape. I'm not downplaying his physical shape at all.

In that picture he is what? Around 12% body fat? Wouldn't you say?
        Looks lower than 12% body fat to me. Hard to say without video or other pics from different angles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Damn Wicked View Post
          Looks lower than 12% body fat to me. Hard to say without video or other pics from different angles.
          It looks a lot lower to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by mlac View Post
            Einstein was not as clever as stephen hawking because it was ages ago innit.

People are just more clever nowadays
            Technology is more advanced today just as sports medicine and training methods have improved. If a fighter today was able to transport himself back in time to the 1920's he would have a big advantage over the fighters in that era.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
              It looks a lot lower to me.
              Yeah, I think so too.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
                I said Jack's walking around weight was above 200 pounds.

You said he only cut about 8 pounds, and tried to prove it with 2 photos, that were years apart, without also knowing the context of the first one.

Jack's optimum weight for his build was 185-195 pounds.

Carl's optimum weight for his build was 168-175 pounds.

It doesn't get any simpler than that.

Jack was naturally a bigger guy.

Jack would never be a SMW today.

Now tell me how their styles were similar, when Jack was a bob and weave knockout machine.

How the **** can Carl Froch be the modern day Jack Dempsey?
                You didn't even know Jack's natural weight. I never claimed to know it. You claimed he was 200+ like Froch with no definitive numbers.

I judged from images, which the internet has more than the two that I provided. That he doesn't realistically cut much weight. Look at any pictures. He doesn't look much different from chilling to his in-ring pictures. Doesn't look flabby in any picture but doesn't look like he is in a natural bodybuilding show either. Unlike modern day boxers who may go from pudgy like Canelo, to looking like they are ready to step on stage in a bikini at weigh in.

And you can't judge optimum weight by the weight Froch chose to fight at.

He weights 202lbs. His words. Please tell me why he can't weigh 194lbs in-ring and have elite level conditioning?

Does he have some muscle development dysfunction that only you know about? Is he not an elite athlete? Does he have some weight disorder? Can he not exercise?

There is nothing you can say to claim that he can not be in shape at LHW, CW, or HW.
                This does not mean that he will win in any of those weight classes. He does NOT have any real advantages against any other HW if he fights at those weights. That's a losing situation. Since the idea of the game is to NOT lose. Why would he do that?

How are the similar? Okay. Jack was a great all-round boxer but known for swarming.
                Froch despite having an awkward look. Is a solid all-round boxer but known for swarming.
                The difference. Like I stated. Is Froch is there to be hit, unlike Jack. This doesn't mean Froch is easily tagged. It just means he isn't as refined as Jack.
                Comparing styles isn't even objective anyways. So you don't think they are similar. So what?

Do you understand all of this? Can you comprehend?
                Last edited by F l i c k e r; 01-15-2017, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Damn Wicked View Post
                  If you look at any picture on the internet. He isn't extraordinarily defined.

at about 12% you can see definition. Once we go 8-10% you're seeing the serratus. You don't always see that on Jack though but you see his abs. So 10-12% is fair in my mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by mlac View Post
                    Einstein was not as clever as stephen hawking because it was ages ago innit.

People are just more clever nowadays

Every generation thinks they are smarter than the one before them, and wiser than the one after them.

This can also be related to boxing training, technique etc
                    We think we have accumulated all this knowledge & information and now at the zenith of boxing knowledge.

To support this, i'm not suprised dempseys double shift has not been bought up in this thread.. I don't see too many people using it nowdays because few people know about it.

Everyone should youtube:
                    Golovkin - The lost art of shifting

Good title... the lost art, because dempsey and co used to do it but you rarely see it nowdays...the art of shifting is almost lost.
                    Ask Danny Jacobs what he knows about shifting? Re-watch pirogs footwork just before the knockout.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kigali View Post
                      ...but we do know Vlad and Fury ain't ****.

That we know
                      Well wlad is more proven than fury. For all we know, the guys we cinsider B level on wlads resume are as good as anyone on dempseys resume. To speculate about it is pointless.

Comment

Working...
                      X