Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Bruce Lee have become a great boxer? Mayweather says he's fake.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Raonic View Post
    Are you ******ed? That's exactly what it would mean...

A fighter is someone who fights. Someone who participates in martial arts is someone who fights.

That bum on the street that participates in street fights, that bum boxer with a 0-100 record or that Judo champ with 3 gold medals are all fighters.
    Lee trained in martial arts, taught martial arts, he didn't fight martial arts. He wasn't a fighter.

Comment

• People thinking Bruce Lee was actually a fighter after watching one of his cheesy movies is one of those essential reminders that 99% of the planet needs to die off.

Being that stupid causes all world problems. It's how the media shapes your view of reality. If you can't separate movies from reality you shouldn't be allowed to watch them. It should require some sort of license.

Comment

• Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
        Lee trained in martial arts, taught martial arts, he didn't fight martial arts. He wasn't a fighter.
        He did encounter martial arts fighters and they said he had superior fighting ability. 5 billion people know the opinoions of the martial arts tournament champs Lee sparred, so 5 billion consider bruce lee one of the greatest fighters who ever lived.
        Stop boasting what you want us to believe you think. Because if the 5 billion who know how great a fighter Lee boast as much as you do, you are blown off the court and out of your depth. Dont push it. Quit while you got an ounce of dignity.

Originally posted by //// View Post
        People thinking Bruce Lee was actually a fighter after watching one of his cheesy movies is one of those essential reminders that 99% of the planet needs to die off.

Being that stupid causes all world problems. It's how the media shapes your view of reality. If you can't separate movies from reality you shouldn't be allowed to watch them. It should require some sort of license.
        Why are you talking about movies? He did a lot outside of film. THe testimonies show that.
        If people didnt spar with bruce, nobody wants to hear their opinions. About 5 billion people on earth know the opinions of people Lee sparred with equals 5 billion consider bruce lee one of the greatest fighters who ever lived.
        Last edited by hugh grant; 01-02-2017, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dolor View Post
          May I ask why not?

In its early days, wikipedia was quite poor in terms of quality, but that has changed dramatically over the past decade.

I am a senior researcher (biomedicine) at a large university, and my girlfriend a historian, and I can safely say that in these fields, wikipedia articles are nowadays considered to be of good-to-very-good quality, and up-to-date.

Wikipedia is now very restrictive with regard to contributions (many of which are authored by university personel), and normally the most relevant references are listed as well (which is why I like to quote them).

That may, or may not, also apply to non-scientific contents.
          Wow! Its so good to hear you say that. I feel out on a limb... I have done work all the way up to completing an MA and graduate work beyond at the University. I have always felt that to get a general notion of an idea, Wiki was excellent. One does not have to take it on faith, but it gives one a baring, a starting point.

I have further felt that Wiki is a brilliant concept. It is a great idea because it incorporates certain features of the academy, like a real down and dirty peer revue process. Its good to hear someone else from a research background praise Wiki!! I agree with your points as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
            He did encounter martial arts fighters and they said he had superior fighting ability. 5 billion people know the opinoions of the martial arts tournament champs Lee sparred, so 5 billion consider bruce lee one of the greatest fighters who ever lived.
            Stop boasting what you want us to believe you think. Because if the 5 billion who know how great a fighter Lee boast as much as you do, you are blown off the court and out of your depth. Dont push it. Quit while you got an ounce of dignity.

Why are you talking about movies? He did a lot outside of film. THe testimonies show that.
            If people didnt spar with bruce, nobody wants to hear their opinions. About 5 billion people on earth know the opinions of people Lee sparred with equals 5 billion consider bruce lee one of the greatest fighters who ever lived.
            your dealing with trolls. First the two biggest critics on this thread obviously do not know anything about Lee. Anecdotal evidence is not as strong as film but....You have multiple examples of guys like Dan Insanto...a guy who was already an accomplished martial artist and teacher, who just went and devoted himself to being a student of Lee's. So many guys did this, why would experienced, fighters, teachers, etc...sign up to be a student to this twerp?

if one looks at Lee's form it is magnificent. He also highlights in his movies the qualities that make an art combat oriented. Explosiveness.

Regarding the heavy bag footage of Lee: Chain punching, which is often laughed at by boxers, is actually a very efficient technique. When Lee is hitting the bag he is using that approach from Win Chun. Martial artists train this approach to close distance in a line and attack. you can see Chuck Zito, who trained extensively in boxing! use this approach when he wants to get in on an opponent quickly.

Then posters mixed up the question. The question about Lee is whether he would win in a street fight, not a boxing match.

Comment

• Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
              Training boxing and looking good on a heavy bag doesn't make you a top boxer. So why does it make Bruce Lee a master fighter because he looks good training and acting?
              i agree with isaac on this one. Half the **** bruce lee was good at was for show. He wasnt like one of the gracies or anyone like that, most martial arts are a load of **** other than BJJ, muay thai and a couple of others. Hnece why you dont see crap like kung fu in the ufc, cause it doesnt work

Comment

• This guy's real, he's a student of bruce lee even he will break floyds azz. research him

Comment

• Originally posted by hugh grant View Post

I genuinely can't tell if you're making a joke or not.

Comment

• Bruce Lee had supreme co-ordination, spatial awareness and above average conditioning. Make no doubt about it, Bruce Lee was a gifted athlete (He has all the attributes to excel!) but boxing is not just about being a great athlete, fighting is something instinctual! from a psychological perspective i believe Bruce Lee would have no issues with the training regimes he would have to endure within boxing...........

It all simply boils down to how well he reacts to getting hit? combat sports are very abusive emotionally, and it takes a different kind of mentality to thrive such a environment.

Comment

• I'd be interested in seeing an age poll. I've noticed in elderly people, there's a lot of serious respect for eastern martial arts because it was such a common TV trope in the '60s and '70s. These are usually the same guys who equate MMA to mudwrasslin' and sit there saying "These guys suck! Why don't they use the 2-inch death punch! It's allowed!".

They believe stories about a trained katana expert being able to take out a brigade of riflemen and order nunchucks off the home shopping network. They don't understand that just like western medieval martial arts faded away with the invention of the firearm, eastern versions turned into forms of choreographed dance.

Their entire concept of combat comes purely from movies, so its very difficult to explain to them that Bruce Lee being a movie actor who sparred a few times and received professional flattery does not make him one of the greatest fighters in history, that all of the techniques in his movies are completely pathetic and laughable, and that the average highschool wrestler would strangle him to death, that it would be human sacrifice to pit him against a Muay Thai kickboxer the same size.

To complicate the situation Lee himself seemed to concede that his own martial arts background was utter garbage and that the western approach to fighting was superior. "Jeet kun do" seems to be a primitive attempt at converting useless kung fu dance techniques into effective fighting moves, and gets about 20% of the way there. How to get 100% there? Throw in trash.. Pick up a book on ancient Greek Pankration. Done.

It wasn't himself, but the viewers of his movies who exaggerated (completely fabricated) his status as an actual fighter, treat the flattery of other questionable "martial artists" as scientific evidence.

Heard the story about how Bolo (or whatever that Asian Brock Lesnar looking guy's name was) teasing him and carrying him around on the movie set until Bruce used his dark kung fu master voice to command him to drop him before he was forced to kill him? That's frequently cited evidence that Bruce Lee was a real fighter. Seriously.
                      Last edited by ////; 01-02-2017, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X