No announcement yet.

Chaves Jr Is A Dangerous Fight For Canelo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
    Then he doesn't get paid because no fight will go on. Chavez wants one last payday before he's put into retirement. He's cashing out and Golden Boy/Canelo will tell him he better kill himself do whatever to make weight if he wants to get paid.
    No way they cancel a big PPV on the eve of the fight because the fighter no one expects to win misses weight. It would be a PR catastrophe

Comment

Would have been interesting a few years ago when Jr. Was still making 160 under Roach. Either way Jr. Was never anything more than a huge Middleweight with a great chin. Canelo shpuld be able to outclass any version.

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
        No way they cancel a big PPV on the eve of the fight because the fighter no one expects to win misses weight. It would be a PR catastrophe
        Of course they would and they will. This is not a fight with 2 guys in the same weight class and one guy misses it. This is fight between 2 fighters separated by a ton of weight already. And Canelo is the A side so he won't give any additional advantage to Chavez. They will put in weight clauses to monitor that fat boy every week to ensure he is on track. We saw Floyd ready to cancel a PPV days before if Maidana didn't refuse to change his gloves that's the clout cash cows have but you think Canelo the new cash cow won't threaten to walk if Chavez misses weight? And if the fight fails over weight it will be Chavez who takes the brunt and negative backlash for killing the PPV not Canelo. You nuts if you think Chavez the B side will just blow off the weight and show up at 170 and the fight still goes on. He was able to do that in other fights were he was the A side against opponents who couldn't get paid without him. He is now depending on Canelo to get payday different story.
        Last edited by bigdunny1; 12-15-2016, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
          Of course they would and they will. This is not a fight with 2 guys in the same weight class and one guy misses it. This is fight between 2 fighters separated by a ton of weight already. And Canelo is the A side so he won't give any additional advantage to Chavez. They will put in weight clauses to monitor that fat boy every week to ensure he is on track. We saw Floyd ready to cancel a PPV days before if Maidana didn't refuse to change his gloves but you think Canelo the new A side what threaten to walk if Chavez misses weight? And if the fight fails over weight it will be Chavez who takes the brunt and negative backlash for killing the PPV not Canelo. You nuts if you think Chavez the B side will just blow off the weight and show up at 170 and the fight still goes on.
          Has it ever even happened? A PPV headliner being called off at the last minute? I don't recall it in my time following boxing

Comment

Everyone knows Golovkin would fight Chavez Jr after Jacobs if Canelo didn't first.

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
              Has it ever even happened? A PPV headliner being called off at the last minute? I don't recall it in my time following boxing
              It's happened many times in boxing and UFC where big fights were called off because someone missed weight. I know Chico Coralles walked way after 2 epic fights with Castillo and big payday because Castillo missed weight again.

Comment

He was beaten handily by Sergio Martinez, Brian Vera (robbed) and Fonfora. I think Canelo's skills are above all 3 of those fighters

Comment

He's dangerous if it's fought on Chavez's weight. Julio Jr is no cakewalk when he is in his element.

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
                    A prime Chavez would beat Canelo. Canelo wouldn't knock him out and all Chavez needs is someone who will stand in front of him for him to let his hands fly on. Canelo has poor stamina now, he'd be dead in the second half of the fight vs someone like Chavez. The only issue is I don't know where Chavez is at the moment.
                    Quote "Ihourrun" says: The weight favors Canelo hes going to be fully rehydrated but the opposite is the case for Chavez...this is another Kell Brook-Amir Khan type move...get beat and get crazy paid but have and excuse with the weight....I mean this trend starting to make sense...Cotto-Kirkland Canelo-Chavez jr....yep thats why I follow the lower weights this is all a hustle.

I think both of these posters make great points about the possibilities. This fight could have either trajectory frankly. In my estimation Chavez junior has always been slightly underestimated. He has all the bad qualities people claim he does, but he also knows how to throw his weight around, attack the body well and he wins a lot of fights doing so.

Now...as 1hourrun has said, Canelo has shown signs that holding the weight down is a liability. But its not just weight...people often don't get this especially when talking about the heavy weights...some people are bigger...bigger bones, bigger frame, etc. Some guys at 200 can fight heavyweight, others cannot fight in the division at cruiser weight, its not so easy to tell. if Canelo is more comfortable or, if he can box like he did against Cotto at this weight he will do very well.

Comment

chavez will be a zombie at 165, kinda hope he doesnt attempt to make weight and comes in heavy, would serve canelo right.

Comment

Working...
                      X