Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corrales not in the hall yet Gatti has been in for years died the same year WTF

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah tbh, if gatti can make it in then any and every body should be in the HOF who has fought at a c+ level or above. Corrales was probably c+, b- type of fighter. He should be there.

It took a decade for a genuinely world class fighter like Naz to make it and I'm not even sure if Eubank is in there now.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      yeah tbh, if gatti can make it in then any and every body should be in the HOF who has fought at a c+ level or above. Corrales was probably c+, b- type of fighter. He should be there.

It took a decade for a genuinely world class fighter like Naz to make it and I'm not even sure if Eubank is in there now.
      Hall of fame is a popularity contest. Gatti was a popular fighter.

Comment

Corrales made Popo Freitas quit!!! Freitas was one of the best but wanted no more of Diego Corrales. This was when Diego was still using his boxing skills before switching to the in-your-face inside brawler.

Comment

Gatti's not there on ability.

Comment

C+ AND b-

REALLY?

so a 2 weight division champion, with only 5 losses across 130-147....wins over several world champions, and comeback win of the century is that low?

who do you consider A and B level in the last 15 years

naz didn't get in because several factors ....1) he wasn't beloved 2) he was a devout and proud muslim fighting on HBO....H.....B.....O 3) He was not an American star

Comment

Originally posted by SnoopySmurf View Post
              Corrales made Popo Freitas quit!!! Freitas was one of the best but wanted no more of Diego Corrales. This was when Diego was still using his boxing skills before switching to the in-your-face inside brawler.
              yep, he outboxed casamayor in fight 2...he gets underrated. he pulled out some top wins

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
                Well it is called the hall of fame and isn't fame popularity? I think most on here agree that Gatti shouldn't be there, but as far as fame, he was pretty famous in his day. Corrales wasn't as famous and I mean, a two weight champion? There are so many of those now that if that's the criteria, the hall is going to be overloaded and required to build a much bigger facility for such a huge hall. I'm not saying he didn't have some good fights and his first fight with Castillo was a classic. By the same token, I wouldn't put Castillo in there either. Vinny Pazienza was a two weight champion as well, but I wouldn't put him in either. Of course, this is all up to the official Canastota people anyway. Only time will tell.
                paz also never beat lightweights or anyone else that were as good as casamayor, Castillo and freitas

Paz lost to most if not all his top notch foes.

he was never # 1 or 2 in his divisions at any given time like chico, who was a mainstay in the top 3

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                  Corrales is a latino male in the USA. Do the math my dude.
                  touché

Comment

Originally posted by RomanReigns View Post
                    Hall of fame is a popularity contest. Gatti was a popular fighter.
                    IBHOF wasn't always simply a popularity contest but rather a way of honouring to truly great exponents of the sweet science as well as its pioneers.

If it has become a popularity contest then fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                      C+ AND b-

REALLY?

so a 2 weight division champion, with only 5 losses across 130-147....wins over several world champions, and comeback win of the century is that low?

who do you consider A and B level in the last 15 years

naz didn't get in because several factors ....1) he wasn't beloved 2) he was a devout and proud muslim fighting on HBO....H.....B.....O 3) He was not an American star
                      I'm not gonna go over the whole corrales thing, if you want to be delusional and think he was elite, thats up to you.

As for Naz, he was one of the most popular figures in the sport, during the age of true stars in Tyson, Lewis, Holyfield and Oscar. So I don't see how he was not beloved. People tuned him to watch him and no, it wasnt because he was a villain. They tuned in because they knew they were going to get a show.

I agree with the other two points, none of which negate the fact that he should of been in the HOF a lot earlier and a number of voters repeatedly voted for him too.

However, Gatti's inclusion in the HOF has devalued a once integral historic institution in this sport.

Comment

Working...
                      X