Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are boxing promoters so averse to actually promoting?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All I know is I don't see a huge outreach to the general public. I mean, when was the last time you saw someone not named Manny Pacquaio or Floyd Mayweather on late night, daytime, or morning networks?

Comment

Unlike UFC and other mainstream sports, boxing doesn't have a steady fanbase. It's sort of a hit and miss thing. Spending money on promotions doesn't necessarily mean people would buy it. It's a gamble.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
        Because promoting costs money and this fight won't appeal to casuals no matter how heavy they promote it. So instead, they go cheap on the promotion side in hopes to earn a profit.
        Whilst this is a fair point - digital advertising costs very little. I think they can still do a lot more with less money, they should be targeting social media - google ad words, twitter, email, even text marketing (even though I find it tacky).

Like I said the only one rolling with the times is Eddie Hearn and more often than not he is getting the results.

Comment

I think they have been trying pretty hard in this promotion.

HBO came out with a couple good shows, Kovalev and Ward have both had featured written about them on mainstream publications,
          and I've seen the commercials for the PPV several times. Also, didn't Kovalev have something with Larry King.

However, this was never going to be a mainstream ppv no matter how much money they put into marketing. Best case scenario for the promoters is that Main Events makes a little money and Roc Nation doesn't lose more than 7 figures (they are going to lose money on this regardless having to pay Ward 5M plus all of the other expenses involved, as they seem to always do).

Let's enjoy this fight for what it is: A hardcore boxing fan's fight. It makes no sense for us to care about the numbers in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
            He is not the lead promoter, Duva is that is likely why you haven't heard anything, he will likely attend though
            he's still co promoter he shouldn't leave it all to duva .jay z should be going on radio and tv talking up this fight like crazy jay z has connections in the media this is a no brainer.they dropped the ball big time.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
              Whilst this is a fair point - digital advertising costs very little. I think they can still do a lot more with less money, they should be targeting social media - google ad words, twitter, email, even text marketing (even though I find it tacky).

Like I said the only one rolling with the times is Eddie Hearn and more often than not he is getting the results.
              Good point. Main Events seems quite old-school in their approach and Roc Nation just has no idea what they are doing, even though both are trying.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
                He is not the lead promoter, Duva is that is likely why you haven't heard anything, he will likely attend though
                regardless of who is the lead promoter, its Jay-Z who has the $5 mil guarantee to Ward. It would serve his financial interests to help promote the fight, regardless of who's logo is getting center placement on the light grid..........

Comment

These arent two of the most exciting personalities. Ward is like a mute and Kovalev barely speaks english. Neither guy looks like they want to fight to be honest

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
                    regardless of who is the lead promoter, its Jay-Z who has the $5 mil guarantee to Ward. It would serve his financial interests to help promote the fight, regardless of who's logo is getting center placement on the light grid..........
                    Not saying I agree with Roc Nation not doing much to promote but that seems to be the reason or who's to say Duva even wants them involved? She has made comments about how hard it is to work with them so that could also be why they been hands off

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post

As much as I love Ward as a fighter he doesn't have the personality or fighting style to appeal to the masses. Ward is trying to market himself, appearing at Golden State Warriors games, inviting the ball players ringisde to his fights and doing interviews at the Warriors games.

Ultimately, becoming a star is more than just boxing ability and Ward and Kovalev just aren't guys that can capture massive audiences.

Comment

Working...
                      X