No announcement yet.

kovalev v ward: A mismatch in disguise?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
    That doesn't even make sense when White people say it....even less when somebody like you says it.
    wasnt meant in a racial way at all. I say he plays the victim as ward spent all them years sueing his management team even when he didnt have a case for it, and he likes playing the blame game when it comes to his inactivity. In his interviews hes bemoaned getting hit, saying he doesnt deserve to be in hard fights (even though hes happy beating up overmatched opponents). And his fans are always moaning about ward not getting credit, when i think he actually gets far more credit than he deserves (i wouldnt have him ranked in any sense P4P cause of the last few years)

Comment

Ward has the better resume...with more punchers on it.

Kovalev doesn't have hardly any punchers on his resume.

He's been on cruise control since the Boone rematch.
      I wasn't talking about Kovalev. Or comparing resumes. I'm sure plenty are willing to debate u on that though ..cheers

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
        wasnt meant in a racial way at all. I say he plays the victim as ward spent all them years sueing his management team even when he didnt have a case for it, and he likes playing the blame game when it comes to his inactivity. In his interviews hes bemoaned getting hit, saying he doesnt deserve to be in hard fights (even though hes happy beating up overmatched opponents). And his fans are always moaning about ward not getting credit, when i think he actually gets far more credit than he deserves (i wouldnt have him ranked in any sense P4P cause of the last few years)
        Who are you to say Ward had no case?????

Calm down Judge Judy.

GGG has had management problems too.

Don't be a hypocrite and pretend to forget that.

Golovkin is fed nothing but overmatched opponents...you can't go there either.

Ward is younger than GGG with a better resume.

You can't diss Ward while praising Golovkin.

Comment

Edit I'll take the bait... who's a bigger puncher at 168 than pascal at 175?

Kovalev doesn't have hardly any punchers on his resume.

He's been on cruise control since the Boone rematch.[/QUOTE]

Comment

... but but but but the super 6.
            lol

By all accounts this is a mis match and Ward's simple way of cashing out.

If Ward wins, sure will give him the credit because there is only one logical way he can win.... a dirty grab and hold fight with a favorable fight. I am sure Kovalev is smart enough to know that.

While Kovalev's opponents are getting tougher and tougher towards Ward PPV... Ward has been making Wilder's opponent quality look like pros.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
              Been doing some more thinking about htis fight, and the more i think about it the more of a mismatch it is to me... SO think about it objectively.

Kovalev- dominant at light heavy, active fighter, best win was a dominant one sided beatdown of somone with a similar style to ward, and his most recent fight was good preparation for fighting an awkward opponent. Would surely have no problem against wards opposition, when you think of the job he did on pascal and the job pascal did on dawson (ward beaiting weight drained dawson is considered a top 3 win for him)

ON the other hand you have Ward- top dog at Super middleweight 5 years ago, best win was beating froch by one round (a previous thread i did showed that people give froch zero chance against kovalev), has not fought anyone remotely elite in 5 years with only 4 fights, his warm up fight for fighting kovalev was a 40 year old super middlweight in alex brand, and the best out of the four (barrera) gave him some problems. Ward has never faced anyone remotely like kovalev, and to me his style seems better suited to fighting physically weaker guys who he can grapple and bully round the ring.

To me, recent activity is absolutely crucial, and one guy is prepared, and one guy isnt. People think im just talking **** for the sake of it but this fight is going to seem a headscratcher after the fight, and people will be thinking it was pretty obvious that it wasnt some 50/50 fight.
              SO what do you guys think, whats the case for ward winning other than blind patriotism or is it a belief that a slick fighter will always beat a power puncher (which made people believe hopkins/kovalev was a pick em fight)
              Ward VS Froch was 118-110 if you know how to score a fight, no idea how the judges had it even close.

by your logic BHOP beat Calzaghe and ODH beat Floyd.

Comment

I think the TS did a great job of arguing his point -- without allowing emotions to get in this way.

I disagree with what he said. I think that if you look a t all the fights Ward has fought in his career and all the fights that Kovalev has fought, you will seek the obvious skill difference between the two of them. Ward will using his skills -- all of them -- to defeat Kovalev by TKO or unanimous decision.

Comment

Originally posted by NaijaD View Post
                  LOOOL You're not biased???

What were the exact rounds you gave to Froch?? I want to hear this.

I'm very certain you didn't watch the fight when it actually went down in 2011, I did!..... I was on these forums and alot of people thought those 115-113 cards were bogus. How coincidental that you score it the same way they did.

In fact I don't think you were watching boxing back then atall.... you said it was the average six but there's no way any fan of the sport thought that back when it was officially announced, Back then I wasn't a fan of Ward but when that tourny got announced I was thrilled, the best SMWs fighting each other back to back. The only let down was that Bute wasn't part of it.

It's obvious you can only look back at it retrospectively because you weren't aware of the tournament back then. If Boxrec didn't exist you would have no knowledge of anything pre 2013/14.

I honestly think you might be mentally challenged like your fellow GGG dick riding buddy ******ed Cyclone.
                  Got dang man, ease up on the kid

Comment

All your points, avy, and sig vs the equivalent of mine.

Comment

Who are you to say Ward had no case?????

Calm down Judge Judy.

GGG has had management problems too.

Don't be a hypocrite and pretend to forget that.

Golovkin is fed nothing but overmatched opponents...you can't go there either.

Ward is younger than GGG with a better resume.

You can't diss Ward while praising Golovkin.

not so fast.

now that Ward's best competition has retired or irrelevant, who are the ones getting into the HOF?

Froch? I actually don't think so. his accomplishments are not that great. I don't even think he has a win as a great as Nigel Benn before beating McClellan win like Eubanks. Who isn't in the HOF. neither is Benn. Froch's best win is Bute who wasn't as good as Benn and his 2 fights with Groves will be proven to be nothing.

Kessler? most likely not. Lost to an old Calzaghe and split 2 fights with Froch.

Abraham? Nope.

Bad Dawson? LOL

GGG when all said and done is one of the absolute greatest Middleweights along with Hagler, Monzon and Hopkins due to the title defence streak alone. Dominance is very important in a division. that's why Tszyu is in the HOF.

Golovkin already has the title defenses KO record.

What does Ward have? winning a tourney over good but not great fighters in a new division(SMW doesn' t have history). domestic level euros. footnotes in history.

This is on top of the fact that Ward is not a dominant champion. only 5 defences. no finishes. He is not exciting. most importantly, he was never a draw.

I would argue the resume in its entirety is in GGG's favor due to the records and dominance. Ward's resume is really like McCellan's or Chris Eubanks.

Especially if he gets knocked out in the next fight. then GGG's resume would be superior. bar none.
                      Last edited by HeadShots; 10-16-2016, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X