Collapse
No announcement yet.

kovalev v ward: A mismatch in disguise?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kovalev v ward: A mismatch in disguise?

Been doing some more thinking about htis fight, and the more i think about it the more of a mismatch it is to me... SO think about it objectively.

Kovalev- dominant at light heavy, active fighter, best win was a dominant one sided beatdown of somone with a similar style to ward, and his most recent fight was good preparation for fighting an awkward opponent. Would surely have no problem against wards opposition, when you think of the job he did on pascal and the job pascal did on dawson (ward beaiting weight drained dawson is considered a top 3 win for him)

ON the other hand you have Ward- top dog at Super middleweight 5 years ago, best win was beating froch by one round (a previous thread i did showed that people give froch zero chance against kovalev), has not fought anyone remotely elite in 5 years with only 4 fights, his warm up fight for fighting kovalev was a 40 year old super middlweight in alex brand, and the best out of the four (barrera) gave him some problems. Ward has never faced anyone remotely like kovalev, and to me his style seems better suited to fighting physically weaker guys who he can grapple and bully round the ring.

To me, recent activity is absolutely crucial, and one guy is prepared, and one guy isnt. People think im just talking **** for the sake of it but this fight is going to seem a headscratcher after the fight, and people will be thinking it was pretty obvious that it wasnt some 50/50 fight.
    SO what do you guys think, whats the case for ward winning other than blind patriotism or is it a belief that a slick fighter will always beat a power puncher (which made people believe hopkins/kovalev was a pick em fight)

So should Ward win, you'll have no excuses and give him full credit?

Comment

Froch Style is good for Kova,and is SMW fighter,Ward have diffrent style not so much power to put Froch away.
      If you are saying that it can be KO for Kova ,i agree it can finish fast but dont count of Ward so early he can adapt and adjust in fights,it will be hard for him to box with crusher on distance doe,i said couple of times that inside is way to go for Andre in this fight.

Comment

Originally posted by MPX309 View Post
        no excuses from me...

Comment

I think Andre Ward hasn't looked the same in his last three fights. He was caught a lot more in all of them than he used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Scholar View Post
            I think Andre Ward hasn't looked the same in his last three fights. He was caught a lot more in all of them than he used to be.
            yeah i agree. People same to be basing their prediction on things which happened 5 or 6 years ago, thats a ****ing long time in boxing.

Comment

I had Kov a bigger favourite a year ago than now. I still think Kov wins but not like 100% sure like i was a year ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Scholar View Post
                He has not looked his old self, but this doesn't necessarily mean he is on the downslide or anything like that. I think he has got this thing about 'Floyd not moving as much as he got older' thing and he is trying to follow that blueprint but to me it hasn't served him as well. I don't think he should follow anything or anyone else, he should try to be the best Andre Ward. Maybe he will go back to what he knows best in this fight as he is aware he is in danger.

Whatever style Ward brings - I don't agree with the TS at all, I think this is a highly competitive fight no matter what. Don't be surprised if Ward picks himself up off the canvas and takes over.

Comment

I think it will be a mismatch one in which ward wins every round.

Beating a 50 year old Hopkins is Kovas best win he's a power puncher and he still couldn't stop him.

Ward will dominate.

Comment

Originally posted by MPX309 View Post
                    of course not

Comment

Working...
                    X