Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Gennady Golovkin Tested, Stops Kell Brook in Five Rounds

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GGG is a beast that all boxing fans should praise as a p4p boxer. I know some believed Brook's corner stopped the fight too early...but it was honestly a good stoppage. He barely had anything left in him by the time the 5th round came and GGG was stalking him in hyper mode. GGG was hitting Brook with some big combos to the head & body in the 5th. And considering that Brook acknowledge GGG broke his eye in an earlier round, there was simply no chance of Brook getting a win at that point. The trainer made a smart move. And believe me, we've all seen trainers refuse to throw in the towel knowing full well that their fighter was getting brutalized in the ring. Brook should be giving all his corner guys contract extensions or something because he was saved from further damage, a KO, or worst of all a beating of his life. As soon as GGG broke Brook's eye, the fight was pretty much a foregone conclusion.

And hopefully, this poor performance from GGG is going to galvanize the courage of some boxers who have ducked him (*cough*Canelo*cough*). I'm sure there are some MW's who watched this fight saying to themselves, "I think I can do what Kell did but better...I think I can beat GGG." GGG did his job by getting the stoppage. He remains undefeated & maintains his KO & MW defense streak going. Until someone beats him, boxing fans have to acknowledge that he's one of the best in boxing today. WAR GGG!

Comment

• Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
      1. I was a huge Floyd fan and I was hyped for the JMM fight, because I knew what it was - two elite and great fighters going at it in their primes. Weight has no bearing on getting outboxed, and outboxing one of the best combination punchers ever is to be respected.

2. Brook might not be top 5 p4p but he is #1, 2 at worst WW, and coming in an undefeated champion. It's a credible win no matter how you slice it.

3. GGG was impressive tonight, and here's why: he chose to risk more and come forward knowing he would take some to give some. When a fighter who can outbox his opponent but choses to savage him with no regard for safety, when your opponent shows you he isn't intimidated by your shots and shrugs them off, that's fearsome. That's intimidating. If you've ever boxed before, if you've ever been tested and have faced a guy who shows no emotion and just comes for you, that has a major psychological effect on someone who isn't extremely strong minded. You see a guy who "looked bad". I see a guy who purpously chose to disregard defense and go for the kill every round. That isn't a flaw, it's a strength. A testament to how good he is, not how bad he is.
      Awesome post. Agreed all the way. Especially #3. Everyone forgets how much intimidation works in boxing. And if you're hitting your opponent with your hardest shots & he keep coming forward without flinching, that's intimidating. GGG is a f#ckin beast!

Comment

• Originally posted by AddiX View Post
        GGG's left hook likes about 1/3 the power it normally does.
        I noticed this against Lemieux and the last few fights. I honestly think he's just getting old. He's 34. Pacquiao declined at 32. Opponents have waited for GGG to get old and like always, it works, eventually. His hooks aren't quite as sharp, his stamina isn't quite as everlasting. He slows towards the end of rounds like he didn't used to when he was just 30, not 34.

Comment

• Brook looked like a real middleweight in there its unbelievable how manny ****-talkers are around here. He was in fantastic shape and heavier than GGG. I think he should stay at middleweight, he is the favorite against anyone besides GGG.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cinci Champ View Post
            Weird stoppage can we please get someone to step up to ggg he's great but he's not this monster all these fighters think he is
            You guys just don't understand what you're watching. GGG just walked through a guy the same natural size as him, who was much more fluid and powerful at 160 than he was at 147. GGG had a terrible gameplan, because he was trying to give the fans a show, he was winging huge ****s that missed that tire you out a lot, and he still kept trying it, caring about nothing but a street fight, a big drama show.

GGG did everything wrong, and still broke Brook's orbital bone, had him absolutely done retreating around the ring throwing zero punches by the 5th round, and stopped him in the first half of the fight.

No one else in the sport is doing that. We haven't seen anyone in decades walk through punches like this, and let opponents hit him, because he sees it as so easy that it's his responsibility to make it competitive, make it a show, but even when he does it's still competitive.

If anything, GGG is buying his own hype and that hurts any fighter, but even doing that, he is still performing like this. We haven't seen anything like this.

His capacity to deliver power is the best in the sport. His capacity to absorb power is the best in the sport. What else do you guys want? His plus/minus is second best. Do you guys also want him to have elite level elusiveness? If he had the best power, the best chin, and the best defense, he would literally be a perfect fighter created in a lab, the best of all time. He has raised everyone's expectations so high that people are shocked to see him hit, like you were expecting a perfect robot.

That's not how it works. But even letting his opponents hit him, he still has an elite plus/minus. Imagine if he fought with the strategy of the Lemieux fight every fight, he would have the best plus/minus in the sport. GGG could win any fight just by using his jab for 12 rounds. He doesn't even need to do anything else. He could just fight like the Klitschkos have, jabs and a few right hands when it opens up, and it would be an impossible style to beat given GGG's power, timing, and chin.

But he wants to give the fans a show. I know as fans we're not used to that after a decade of Mayweather, Ward, etc, but it just makes GGG that much more special. Still, it's stupid, and he may be believing his own hype. That can be the downfall of any fighter but don't think that means he's not the most talented fighter alive. He is, #1 pound for pound, and until he gets old, which may be starting to happen, or fights stupid against Jacobs or Canelo, you can expect him to keep dominating.

Comment

• When I watched it I thought it was a bad stoppage by the corner because Brook was looking good. But now I hear about the broken eye socket, I understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by revelated View Post
                But I DEFINITELY don't want to see Floyd fight G. It would be a boring 12 rounder with Floyd pulling Matrix-style dodging of punches to gas him down the stretch and tagging G with his lowest punch output ever. Floyd UD's him over 12 and a whole bunch of salty people talking about how he ran all night.
                So you don't want to see GGG-Floyd, the biggest fight in the sport, because you're worried Floyd would make him miss too much, dodge too many punches, and win?

I assume you didn't want to see Floyd-Canelo then either? I assume you've never enjoyed any Floyd Mayweather fight lol? Seeing as how that's how every one of his fights go. This seems like a tell on your part that you don't really believe what you're saying. If you really believed this, and you're a Floyd fan, then you would want to see it, just like every other Floyd fight where his "matrix dodging of punches" and a wide decision hasn't stopped his demo from rooting for him.

Anyway GGG-Floyd at 160 Floyd would dodge some head punches for a few rounds and then get ground into the canvas anyway from body shots. Floyd also kept Canelo and Cotto from throwing because they felt his power. GGG would actually walk through his shots, not the supposed "Cotto will just walk through his shots!" predictions that never happen at 154. At 160, and with GGG's chin, he actually, really would, for realz this time, and then what? Floyd is going to move constantly for 12 rounds and dodge every major body shot combo?

GGG is just a bigger, better fighter than Floyd. My only question about that fight is if GGG can make 154, and have stamina to throw shots for 12 rounds at 154. Weight is the only thing that would make that fight competitive. Otherwise GGG would KO Floyd. Floyd got hurt by Maidana, hit by Berto... there's levels to this game, and GGG at 160 is another level, GGG at 154 is depending on if he can make the weight healthy. Floyd never fought a 147 equivalent of GGG his whole career let alone a 154 or 160.

Comment

• Originally posted by PivotandRoll View Post
                  Yeah literally none of that happened.... Brook stupidly went to the ropes and that was the only time GGG had success.

I also picked Brook by stoppage and believe if he wanted it enough and his corner weren't scared by the reputation he would have done it.

I give GGG credit for having great power... Other than that though....

YOu are a stupid fool if you think GGG outskilled Brook.....

Stop it man, just stop it,

Well, GGG won the jab contest for sure.

If Brook stupidly went to the ropes, it's maybe because GGG was cutting offf the ring nicely HUH?

I gave only one round to Brook.

GGG read you like a computer. He figured out Brook's defensive holes (Brook doesn't have a great defense himself) then was landing at will, head and body, jab, jab.

Sure Brook had nice moments, not surprising, Brook is a serious fighter.

GGG was better in most departments, not only power.

Jeff Lacy had more power than Calzaghe and couldn't win a single round, GGG is not perfect but brings a lot more than just crushing power.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYC8224 View Post
                    Love the "if Brook was someone else, this is a loss" posts.

Fact is, GGG is a ****ing animal and anybody that faces him is in for a fight. Canelo, BJS, Jacobs, whoever, i think he beats all of them. Brook had some good moments but it was just too much for him. GGG is one of the best boxers going right now and that's the bottom line. If people want to keep making excuses, go for it. Doesn't change how good GGG is
                    hell yeah agree 100% the haters are pathetic ggg is amazing maybe he will never get his just due as with hagler he didn't get the respect he deserved until late in his career.

Comment

• There is not much to say when even GGG said Brook was too small.

Comment

Working...
                      X