Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is the MW division considered a "weak" division?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Because the talent level is weak and has been for years. Middleweight has grown progressively worse for around 20 years now, since back when Roy left and Hopkins became the kingpin. Fighters like Geale, Murray, and Sturm have been top 5 fighters since the early 2000s. Very limited fighters like Edison Miranda have come and gone as boogeymen of the division. Arthur Abraham was hugely hyped based off his time at middleweight and got stomped by the best super middleweights. Tito Trinidad was a great fighter, but him walking into middleweight and slaughtering a top 5 beltholder does not speak well of the division.

The progression of the middleweight kingpins went from Hopkins to Taylor to Pavlik to a junior middleweight in Sergio. The current kingpin can't even get a shot at the official title. A fighter like Daniel Jacobs might be the second best fighter at middleweight.

It's been a long, long time since middleweight was a strong division. It's generally consisted of one dominant fighter and a bunch of average contenders since Hopkins took it over.

Comment

• Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
      ... it's also weak because Lara, Jarmell, Jermall don't move up...
      The only reason they're not moving up is because of Golovkin.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingHippo View Post

**** outta' here with that garbage.

Comment

• Originally posted by BennyBlanco View Post
          Canelo isn't really in the middleweight division yet...so far he has refused to fight anyone at 160 lbs.

So you have GGG as #1. Jacobs and Saunders are untested, and barely beating Andy Lee doesn't speak well for BJ. Then you have Lemieux, Lee and a bunch of nobodies. After GGG, it falls off quickly, and then after Jacobs and Saunders, there's nobody.
          GGG isn't tested either.

Comment

What? Lol jermel and Lara make weight just fine. Jermall will prob move up soon. But even then who's to say he'll get a shot at gg. Hell gg fans were saying how Lara needs to prove himself at 160 first. But kell doesn't

Comment

• Originally posted by Kigali View Post

**** outta' here with that garbage.
              I'm not a golovtard, chill.

But I don't think many guys at 154 could beat him.

Comment

• Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
                What? Lol jermel and Lara make weight just fine. Jermall will prob move up soon. But even then who's to say he'll get a shot at gg. Hell gg fans were saying how Lara needs to prove himself at 160 first. But kell doesn't
                I'm a huge Lara fan, but he's an underdog against GGG. And I dont think he wants the fight.

Jermell is not moving up, and I'm still not sure if Jermall will. If he doesn't move after the Williams fight I say he's scared.

Andrade and Jermall are the only two I see having a chance against GGG.

Comment

• I discussed a few years ago how divisions like MW wouldn't undergo any significant changes but would see eastern euro champions and thus become "weak" in the eyes of US fans. It is going how i called it.

It didn't take much research; I just watched the same thing happen from hw, cw, lhw, on down... Every division became "weak".

I would say MW right now is one of the better divisions but the Canelo/Cotto charade with the lineal belt and other MWs generally avoiding GGG has made that talent sit around stagnant.

Comment

• Originally posted by //// View Post
                    I discussed a few years ago how divisions like MW wouldn't undergo any significant changes but would see eastern euro champions and thus become "weak" in the eyes of US fans. It is going how i called it.

It didn't take much research; I just watched the same thing happen from hw, cw, lhw, on down... Every division became "weak".

I would say MW right now is one of the better divisions but the Canelo/Cotto charade with the lineal belt and other MWs generally avoiding GGG has made that talent sit around stagnant.
                    It's weak because it's weak.

I guess you being Eastern European you can't tell because you aren't used to seeing anything worth a damn.

Comment

I'm a huge Lara fan, but he's an underdog against GGG. And I dont think he wants the fight.

Jermell is not moving up, and I'm still not sure if Jermall will. If he doesn't move after the Williams fight I say he's scared.

Andrade and Jermall are the only two I see having a chance against GGG.
                      Lara's called out golovkin numerous times...and charlo scared???

The biggest fight for him right now is at 154, he doesn't have a reason to move up yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X