No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sources: Luis Ortiz, Golden Boy Buyout Deal Very Close

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveM View Post
    But but --- Ortiz and his manager say they are very happy with GBP - throwing love at them and shade at Dade - so why are they letting themselves get turfed out into the cold? It's really difficult to get a look-in for title fights if you are not with a bigger promoter. Want an example? Michael Soro of France - can't get a decent fight at MW for love or money yet he is consensus top 15. Another one until now has been Commey - but ok he has Easter coming up - but he's had to wait a long time.
    Ortiz may become Russian like Roy Jones at this point

Comment

I just don't understand this. So Luis isn't the unhappy one it's his promoters. Luis fought on HBO twice within a year. He was scheduled for the Canelo undercard. They claim they want his next fight in the US but they didn't put in a bid. Where are they gonna get Ortiz on TV? They must really be banking on him beating Ustinov and becoming the mando for Klitschko/Fury.

Comment

Why do I get the feeling that this is a terrible move?

Comment

Ustinov has no shot against Ortiz.

So Dade/GBP probably didn't mind Ortiz going to Russia.

Comment

nobody wants to be on Golden boy's ****ty alvared vs smith card. including B.J. saunders

Comment

Career Suicide

This might be career suicide for Ortiz. Golden Boy is a proven and a top promoter.
              Golden Boy has backed Ortiz through the steroids and has gotten him more exposure really than most if not all Cuban fighters of late.

My guess Oscar and company saw this as another Santa Cruz situation and said to hell with this we are done.

But make no mistake this is a blow to their promotion and I would only assume that Dade came up with a few million to buy them out.

Youth movement big time at Golden Boy Promotions.

Comment

Seeing the mess GBP have made of Canelo's career, Ortiz is probably better off without their imput. Dade don't need to do anything now to get him a WBA title shot, all he has to do is beat Ustinov, which he will do easily, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by CaneloMaidana View Post
                  HBO has made boxing fans really dumb.
                  they had me under their spell in the late 90s as a teenager.....when I knew more about the sport, I realized HBO often insults the intelligence of fighters and fans

they have been falling off since the end of the 90s, thanks to holding on to Merchant's old senile, racist azz and that puppet jim lampley

if not for Jones, Hopkins, Lewis, and Foreman holding down the fort and calling them out or correcting them during broadcasts, i would have boycott hbo boxing altogether

Comment

Originally posted by LOCOMEX89 View Post
                    This might be career suicide for Ortiz. Golden Boy is a proven and a top promoter. Golden Boy has backed Ortiz through the steroids and has gotten him more exposure really than most if not all Cuban fighters of late.

My guess Oscar and company saw this as another Santa Cruz situation and said to hell with this we are done.

But make no mistake this is a blow to their promotion and I would only assume that Dade came up with a few million to buy them out.

Youth movement big time at Golden Boy Promotions.
                    Yeah, GB is doing wonders for Canelo, Diego De La Hoya and Saddam Ali. All those dates on HBO Latino and Estrella TV are super valuable.

Another Santa Cruz situation? What, GB didn't want to be involved in Fight of the Year candidates like Santa Cruz vs. Mares and Santa Cruz vs. Frampton?

And no one is paying a few million for half of aging PED used Ortiz.

Comment

Ortiz no spring chicken making huge mistake having a promoter battle now. Look at Ward and Danny Garcia lost years of prime and Luis Garcia past prime no time to waste. Even if Dade buys Garcia out from golden boy they will never move him and get him huge fights he deserves. He will be old stepping stone by the time Fury, Joshua, and Wilder risk reward vs risk. He could have made noise sad

Comment

Working...
                      X