No announcement yet.

Olympic Boxing - Rio 2016

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by yngwie View Post
    That's like saying that cuba was beating the soviets in the 70's because Alcides knew their secrets.
    Not at all, Russian trainers did not train Cuban boxers. Alcides picked up the brains of a few coaches as a coach himself and he became the best coach in the history of the sport. Coaches around the world go to exchange ideas and knowledge to this day but when you have established Cuban coaches training boxers of different countries it's different.

Right now there are literally hundreds of Cuban coaches training athletes competing against Cuba. There is no comparison.

Comment

• Originally posted by pesticid View Post
      Sagarra never went to the Soviet Union, he picked up the brain of Russian and East German coaches
      Alcides Sagarra learned a lot from the Soviet system. Not just from Chervenenko but from the great K.V Gradopolov, who he met on a visit to Kiev,

"I often remember my youth. Especially that spring in Kiev (Sagarra travelled to USSR) - it was amazing time. And I'm not ashamed to admit it - yes, I've learned a lot from soviet trainers, to this day I read their copybooks and find something new, modern, original. Everything good in me I owe to USSR".

(c) badlefthook.com

Comment

• Originally posted by glenn mcrory View Post
        Well he must be overrated.
        Balderas jr. was supposed to be a nobody whose basically a kid(18) and beat him.
        The fact that his desperate country needs medal to feel like they matter is the only reason he remains in the bracket.
        Another ignorant post: Balderas is far from being a nobody and Alvarez clearly won.

Have a nice day.

Comment

• Originally posted by FashionTV View Post
          Alcides Sagarra learned a lot from the Soviet system. Not just from Chervenenko but from the great K.V Gradopolov, who he met on a visit to Kiev,

"I often remember my youth. Especially that spring in Kiev (Sagarra travelled to USSR) - it was amazing time. And I'm not ashamed to admit it - yes, I've learned a lot from soviet trainers, to this day I read their copybooks and find something new, modern, original. Everything good in me I owe to USSR".

(c) badlefthook.com
          This is taken out of context. Of course Sagarra has gone there during tournaments and possibly training camps. However, there were coaches that went to Cuba from Soviet Union and East Germany. The system was based on Russian and East Germany's programs especially East Germany's physical training program.

"Sagarra period :

In 1964, Alcides Sagarra becomes coach of the Cuban national team. Andrei Chervonenko, a Soviet coach, has help him in his work. He received also help from Yevgeny Ogurenko and Vasili Romanov, other Soviet trainers on the Castro's island.

Sagarra also receives the help of Professor Kurt Rosentil, of East Germany, to assist him in his duty.

Following this collaboration and his own innovations, Sagarra brings many new features in the teaching of boxing, both technically and physically. According to the explanations given by the coach, we will mention the following points:

- 4 years training programs
          - Annual cycle, with the general preparation, special preparation, competition and time of direct confrontation (PDC)
          - Management of pics in the preparation
          - Increased training quantity with calculation of its intensity and volume
          - Reaching the highest point of preparation at the end of the fourth year cycle

For the 1964 Olympics, Cuba had 9 fights with 3 victories and 6 losses. No medals.

1967, the first medal for Cuba, possibly with Andres Molina

In the 1967 Pan American Games in Winnipeg/Canada, Enrique Requeiferos won the gold medal, as Andres Molina and Rolando Garbey.

At the 1968 Olympics in Mexico, Enrique Blanco Requeiferos, won the first silver medal in boxing for Cuba. He lost in the finals against Kulej/Poland, by 3-2.

Rolando Garbey fight in the -71kg, and lost in the finals against Boris Lagutin/USSR, by 0-5. He also won the silver medal. The debut of amateur boxing in Cuba are mentioned in an another article, in this blog.

Alcides Sagarra will also trained Teofilo Stevenson and Felix Savon, two heavyweights, whose incredible career are described in two other sections of this blog.

Teofilo Stevenson returned to his corner, with his trainer

Sagarra have had many problems with the judges and referees during tournaments.

Many informations have been published over Sagarra's results with the national team, but they are difficult to verify (32 Olympic gold medals and 63 gold medals at the world championships). For sure, Teofilo Stevenson, Felix Savon were each 3 times Olympic Champion and 3 times world champions.

http://cubaboxingstory.blogspot.ca/2...nd-legend.html

Comment

• Zoirov has a really nice fast-paced awkward style. I like it very much.
            He's also quick and accurate.

Comment

• Brilliant performance by Zoirov!

Comment

• That was one of the best performances I've seen so far.
                Zoirov is going to be difficult to beat. I think he can beat Mamishzada.
                Mamishzada has defeated Zoirov in the past, but I have a hard time believing it was a clean win. The fight did take place in Azerbaijan after all.
                Mamishzada doesn't convince me at all to be honest.

Comment

• Originally posted by HI-TECH Boxing View Post
                  That was one of the best performances I've seen so far.
                  Zoirov is going to be difficult to beat. I think he can beat Mamishzada.
                  Mamishzada has defeated Zoirov in the past, but I have a hard time believing it was a clean win. The fight did take place in Azerbaijan after all.
                  Mamishzada doesn't convince me at all to be honest.
                  who you got Levit v savon bro ?

Giyasov a massive underdog too? bit weird?
                  Last edited by mlac; 08-13-2016, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• Vargas just got robbed

Comment

• How the eff is juliao neto an olympian?

Comment

Working...
                      X