No announcement yet.

Bernard Hopkins took calculated risks, he is 1 of the most overrated modern ATG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
    you cant get full credit for wins, and no criticism for losses...it doesnt work that way, and every boxing career doesnt play out the same

Hopkins didnt fight anyone who matter, besides Jones, until his 30s. Styles make fights.....Hopkins was near his prime vs taylor and couldnt figure him out with 2 tries.....Taylor and keith holmes were the only legit middleweights he faced...the rest were washed up former champions, welterweights moving up, and no name mandatories
    How the **** is being a 40 year old man near your prime for any adult male.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Wolf View Post
      How the **** is being a 40 year old man near your prime for any adult male.
      prime isnt just physical...its also mental, know how, techniques, etc.....some athletes dont reach their prime until their 30s and maintain it and top form longer than others

look at serena williams, she may be older but she is more dominant now than she was in her "prime" years

every athlete is not the same

Lennox Lewis wasnt the best lennox until he was in his 30s

Hopkins never bloated between fights, was disciplined, didnt smoke or drink, things came together for him skillwise in his 30s he became a more complete fighter.

Comment

you're embarassing yourself because woodhall is the only fight you probably watched him fight. He also defeated world champions Robin reid, byron mitchell, eubank, Charles Brewer

so tarver didnt lose to eric harding? you saw the first fight right? you followed Tarver's career right? He fought erratic his entire career...some fights he looked like he could be a great, other fights he looked uninterested

he didnt give away the fight to Jones in fight one?

he didnt lose to Glencoffe Johnson right?

those are facts, those facts are why I saw calzaghe as a bigger threat...he was more naturally talented and more consistent than Tarver.
        I thought he lost to Robin Reid.

Oh yeah, I watched the Woodhall fight but missed the rest. Stop saying stupid **** like that.

Tarver lost to Harding, and knocked him out in the rematch. He'd lost to Jones, and knocked him out in the rematch, he'd lost to Johnson, and beat him in the rematch.

He was #1 LHW and P4P Top 5.

Calzaghe was a paper champion at 168.

Revisionist history and outright embarrassing to try and claim Calzaghe was a bigger threat at the time.

Comment

prime isnt just physical...its also mental, know how, techniques, etc.....some athletes dont reach their prime until their 30s and maintain it and top form longer than others

look at serena williams, she may be older but she is more dominant now than she was in her "prime" years

Hopkins never bloated between fights, was disciplined, didnt smoke or drink, things came together for him skillwise in his 30s he became a more complete fighter.
          Prime Hopkins was ages 33-36.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            I thought he lost to Robin Reid.

Oh yeah, I watched the Woodhall fight but missed the rest. Stop saying stupid **** like that.

Tarver lost to Harding, and knocked him out in the rematch. He'd lost to Jones, and knocked him out in the rematch, he'd lost to Johnson, and beat him in the rematch.

He was #1 LHW and P4P Top 5.

Calzaghe was a paper champion at 168.

Revisionist history and outright embarrassing to try and claim Calzaghe was a bigger threat at the time.
            thank you for proving my point....i'll ask you now.....who was more consistent...Calzaghe or Tarver?

Tarver was erratic man

he was never p4p to me....just because you beat someone thats p4p doesnt make you automatically p4p its the body of work, and tarver was inconsistent on the highest level
            Last edited by therealpugilist; 07-28-2016, 03:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
              Prime Hopkins was ages 33-36.
              thats like 1998 to around 2001?

Comment

Stop man, prime is physical.

This is Hopkins in his prime and would demolish the version of himself who fought taylor or trinindad for that matter. People watch too many karate kid old man master bull****.

Comment

thats like 1998 to around 2001?
                  Yep. Watch those fights. The guy who fought Glen Johnson is just jaw-dropping. And of course, the Tito performance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Wolf View Post
                    Stop man, prime is physical.

This is Hopkins in his prime and would demolish the version of himself who fought taylor or trinindad for that matter. People watch too many karate kid old man master bull****.
                    have you ever played sports?

just because you are faster or jump higher when you're younger doesnt mean you are better.

example.....Kobe Bryant was better player post shaq, he won more rings with him but he was an overall better player when his know how caught up with his physicality

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                      Yep. Watch those fights. The guy who fought Glen Johnson is just jaw-dropping. And of course, the Tito performance.
                      yea.....I agree....thats around the time the jones rematch should have happened

too bad his opposition was mostly hot gawbage around this time

He was a bad MFer then.....he had fights on espn and usa back then

he maintained a high level after this, his punched output dropped a bit after 2002 but he was still a top ten p4p guy until the mid to late 2000s....I think Taylor just had his number style size, speed and size, good jab and combos. It was clear Hopkins wasnt prime anymore, he had a good motor in the late 90s. He could control fighters better in the early 2000s though
                      Last edited by therealpugilist; 07-28-2016, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X