No announcement yet.

Bernard Hopkins took calculated risks, he is 1 of the most overrated modern ATG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr.Fantastic View Post
    He feasted on smaller guys just like most MWs do. Could you honestly tell me boxers like Griffith & Napoles were real MWs? If I remember correctly from the fights, Monzon towered over them. You could tell easily that Monzon was just too big for them. Not saying Monzon wasn't great btw, just overrated. At least in my eyes.
    Agree 100% with Napoles.

But Griffith, yeah he was smaller but he proved himself at MW.

Top of my head they're the only smaller guys he faced.

Benvenuti, Valdez, Briscoe etc were all big solid MW's.

Comment

'Overrated' would mean how highly you rank him on an ATG list, I suppose. He's easily a top 10 middleweight IMO. He's an ATG fighter undoubtedly, resume discussion and analysis aside. By that I mean Hopkins at any age, competing in any era. He's maybe below the likes of Ray Robinson, Hagler, Greb, a few others maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
        bwahahahahahahahahaha....this post is essential to every thread in NSb...thanks champ

Comment

Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
          'Overrated' would mean how highly you rank him on an ATG list, I suppose. He's easily a top 10 middleweight IMO. He's an ATG fighter undoubtedly, resume discussion and analysis aside. By that I mean Hopkins at any age, competing in any era. He's maybe below the likes of Ray Robinson, Hagler, Greb, a few others maybe.
          I agree with you.

I think he is top ten, but not as high as top 3 where many put him......5 or 6ish is about right.

His level of opposition hurts him in the ranking all time greats department

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
            No actually that's not , he was mandatory two different times look it up yourself. There was a 5 year gap why? Because Allen worked himself back up to mandatory position. One was an NC due to a freak accident and they had to reschedule.

Look if someone is going to post inaccurate information I'm going to correct them on it, garbage thread or not.

Your threads always have an agenda. This thread is less about Hopkins and more about James Toney.

Joe Lipsey was an undefeated fighter and a standout amateur. Hopkins ended his career.

Fact is Hopkins cleaned out the division. He did what he was supposed to do. While Don King kept his champions away from Hopkins and Hopkins was fighting the corrupt industry, he fought all the top middleweights and fought his mandatories which eventually led to the big fights and stardom. That's all you can ask a fighter to do. Young fighters need to take notes.
            what is it with you guys with the amatuers.....you do realize most of the world champions today and in the past were not even stand out amatuers and many olympic champs and amatuer champions flop as pros.

Hopkins is definitely a great fighter, but he isnt this tactical and technical guru people make him out to be.....he flops when fights get tough, he does a lot of dirty cheap shots, and many of his opponents he didnt fight them until the conditions were favorable for him....examples...look at when he fought pavlik, jones and winky wright...all of them were not impressive prior to facing him

Comment

Originally posted by Adonis Creed View Post
              Bernard's a legend and he did most of his big fights when most guys his age are retired or getting fed to prospects.
              he spent his 20s and 30s fighting many no names and no hopers.....he was well preserved by the time his high profile fights started

look at who he fought before he turned 30...then look at someone like Jones, Mayweather, even danny garcia's resume...they were put in a lot tougher earlier in their careers and that causes wear and tear.

Comment

If Hopkins were French-Polynesian you'd be calling him the greatest fighter of all time.

Comment

Its silly to criticize Bernard for losses that came after his prime. The only one to beat Bernard in his prime was the great Roy Jones Jr and even he didn't look spectacular doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    Yeah mate, that's all I was saying

You refuse to adknowledge that Tiberi beat Toney. Something Hopkins would never do.
                    bro.....i can re-post your posts if you like...tiberi doe....thadzi doe....Hopkins more skilled doe...thats not explaining your position

you didnt even acknowledge what I asked you and I'll ask you again

you claim you doubt Toney wouldnt go undefeated vs Hopkins 160 opposition

do you think Hopkins would go undefeated vs who toney fought at 160...guys like Michael nunn, Mike McCallum 2x, Doug Dewitt, reggie johnson, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      Yeah mate, that's all I was saying

You refuse to adknowledge that Tiberi beat Toney. Something Hopkins would never do.
                      yea, ignore the fact that Toney fought better opposition period at 160..you dont acknowledge that...your deflecting skills suck..repeating the same thing over and over doesnt make it valid

tiberi did well, but he lost the fight.....he threw a lot of arm punches and didnt land cleanly as much as the uneducated eye may think....whenever an underdog does better than expected, people lose their mind....just like some people saying maidana beat mayweather when he didnt win no more than 4 rounds.

Comment

Working...
                      X