Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bernard Hopkins took calculated risks, he is 1 of the most overrated modern ATG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bernard Hopkins took calculated risks, he is 1 of the most overrated modern ATG

Hopkins is a great fighter but he often did things on his terms and was a hard nut when it came to negotiations

5 reasons why I say he is overrated

1) His success at an old age. People give him all the credit in the world for his wins but totally disregard his losses and shortcomings as a fighter

2) His middleweight title reign....he didnt unify the title until more than a dozen defenses over mostly non-discript opponents, washed up former champions, and flat out no hopers. His biggest win is over trinidad who has one good win over 154. ODLH didnt belong above 154, nor did a shot simon brown

3) Title defenses....newflash...Hopkins defended the unified/lineal title only 6 times and the ibf 20 times.....He holds the record for most defenses of a major title belt....carlos monzon holds the record for world's middleweight champion title defenses at 14.....2 totally different things

4) He fought his best opponents at crappy times in their careers.....intead of defend the middleweight title vs winky wright when winky was the man at 154, he fights him at 170, did the same thing with Pavlik.he rematches roy jones after he was ktfo a few times but wouldnt fight him at his best and wanted 50/50 from a guy who already beat him clearly, was a bigger star, and champion in a higher division. Basically he priced himself out to avoid eminent defeat..he knew he couldnt beat Jones in 1999-2003

5) He is supposed to be a tactician, have a high ring IQ. He does but its overrated. Speed and movement always troubled him. which is why robert allen got 3 title shots, Jones clearly beat him, Jermain taylor beat him 2x, he flopped vs Dawson and specialized in disarming come forward types but had trouble with counter punchers and guys who would let him set the pace like Kovalev

what do you guys think?
    yes
    38.64%
    no
    61.36%

He would have unified a lot sooner if Don King didn't keep his fighters away from him. He eventually beat those guys so it doesn't matter, he cleaner out the entire division, beat everyone their and their uncles.

Living legend. A true fighter. Your threads are garbage with inaccurate data, for example Robert Allen got three fights because one was a NC, the other two he worked his way up to mandatory position on two separate occasions and forced the fight himself. Hopkins didn't want to fight him a third time but he was mandatory and had to.
    Last edited by ИATAS; 07-28-2016, 10:52 AM.

Comment

He is. Other greats like Hagler, Jones, Lewis, and Monzon are overrated greats too.

If going by the TBE standard, Floyd is more overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Fantastic View Post
        He is. Other greats like Hagler, Jones, Lewis, and Monzon are overrated greats too.

If going by the TBE standard, Floyd is more overrated.
        this isnt a mayweather thread....take that ***** somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
          He would have unified a lot sooner if Don King didn't keep his fighters away from him. He eventually beat those guys so it doesn't matter, he cleaner out the entire division, beat everyone their and their uncles.

Living legend. A true fighter. Your threads are garbage with inaccurate data, for example Robert Allen got three fights because one was a NC, the other two he worked his way up to mandatory position on two separate occasions and forced the fight himself. Hopkins didn't want to fight him a third time but he was mandatory and had to.
          He made the thread because he couldn't accept the schooling IronDan was giving out to him and other Toney fans in the 'Who's greater - Toney or Hopkins?' thread

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post

the first fight was competitive thats why he got a rematch genius

how would you know that my threads are trash, oh yea, you always post in them even though you dont like them...kinda stupid dont you think...if i dont like a thread i dont post in it

mando smando.....hopkins title contestants were some of the worst....Joe Lipsey, Willie bo James, allen 3x, etc.....he lost to his 2 best opponents...Jones and Tayor 2x...the rest were ww moving up.....washed up former champions, and never was contenders

Comment

Originally posted by El Pistolero View Post
              He made the thread because he couldn't accept the schooling IronDan was giving out to him and other Toney fans in the 'Who's greater - Toney or Hopkins?' thread
              I made the thread because that was one of the best polls in a long time. The poll is neck and neck. CHeck my history I've spoke on Hopkins being overrated before.

How was IronDan schooling anyone when all he could say was tiberi doe, thadzi doe....not even recognizing Hopkins didnt fight the competition that Toney did, and toney beat better fighters....its about quality not quantity

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                  this isnt a mayweather thread....take that ***** somewhere else.

I'm just saying on how some boxers are overrated as fuck. Just like how I agree with you with Hopkins. Calm down stan.

Comment

Bernard's a legend and he did most of his big fights when most guys his age are retired or getting fed to prospects.

Comment

Working...
                    X