Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Keith Thurman Edges Shawn Porter To Win a War at Barclays

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That was an awesome fight. Reminded me why I'm hooked on the sport.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjgaz6 View Post
      Thurman clearly won. Fight seems to be a bit overrated IMO. Porter forgot to show up in the championship rounds inexplicably. Salido vs Vargas was a better fight.
      Exactly my opinion. The fight was not that great compared to true burners. Matthysse/Postol was better, Saldio/Vargas was better, any of the three Pacquiao/Bradley fights were better. I could go on and on. Even Provodnikov/Molina was better than that.

People just want to see rock-em-sock-em and that's all this was. I'm not bashing Thurman with that statement, he did what he had to do against an awkward opponent, but it was just two guys throwing. Wow.

It actually reminded me a lot of Mayweather/Maidana 1, frankly. Same level of dirty fighting, same brawl-style action, not really a "good" fight.

Originally posted by hitking View Post
      As much as people around here b1tch and moan about Canelo, Porter is just as bad....And seeing how he can't seem to beay anybody that he can't push around the ring. It leads me to believe that if he had to fight in more natural division. Its very unlikely that he would have much, or any success.
      Porter/Maidana is a toss-up fight.

Originally posted by Sgtairborne24 View Post
      I still don't see how Thurman couldn't hurt him as bad as Broners sorry ass did. Porter was showing a maidania or providnikov type chin tonight because Thurman was hitting his ass flush with solid shots. He got wobbly a bit but you could tell he was in great shape to withstand those blows.
      Porter didn't see Broner's punch. It was LIGHTNING fast. Porter was squared up for Thurman's flush shots every time because he wasn't going to same mistake he did against Broner with a more powerful puncher.

Originally posted by bm Vagabond View Post
      I guess body shots and being the aggressor doesn't matter anymore. It's all about pretty, distant one-shots to the head.
      Being the ineffective aggressor never should win you a fight, no.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCell8 View Post
        I like watching one-sided fights, so long as there is a lot of skill on display (Lomachenko). Otherwise watching a one-sided fight between two fighters that aren't quite amazing bores me.
        Which is why I named the ones I did - although frankly a "lot" of skill isn't always needed. Hearns/Duran.

Comment

• Not even close to the fight of the year. IF Porter would have settled down in the first 6 rounds he wold have won. He needs to learn to settle down. Focus that aggression better. He gave the fight away in those rounds.

Comment

• Great fight, but FOTY? Cmon now. Not even close. Mostly due to a lot of excessive hugging.

Porter style reminds me a lot of Hatton. Leap in with a hook or straight while hitting anything he can take until finally holding. Then a few more hooks to the body while holding. Pretty damn sloppy. However there were nice exchanges throughout the fight, just not enough of it to call it FOTY.

I'd still say Vargas-Salido takes it and my memory sucks too much to go further back but I remember hearing some other ones called FOTY worthy.

Comment

• I had Porter 115-113 but am not unhappy with the decision, great fight by two warriors and just old fashioned good guys.

Porter backed off rds 9-12 where he should have come forward, he literally gave Thurman those rds. That was the difference imo.
              Last edited by doninlouisiana; 06-26-2016, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                Tough fight, both guys will need a long break after. Scored it a draw but wouldn't have been surprised with 8-4 in either direction. I was leaning towards Porter myself as despite his mauling style he actually landed a lot of clean shots. More than I expected him to land. Thurman's defence is leaky.

I also have to ask, did anyone else find themselves wondering if Porter is clean watching this? I don't want to denigrate him so soon after a great fight, but the punch resistance, the strength, and the workrate didn't look normal to me. If he's clean he's arguably the best conditioned fighter in the entire sport.
                I think he's clean. His work-rate and conditioning are no better than Bradley, and I'm pretty sure Bradley is clean. The human body is capable of a lot. Porter like Bradley is an example of what extremely hard work can accomplish when you're not super gifted athletically.

Also, I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but after Thurman's performance against Porter, I don't think there was anyway he could of beat Floyd had they ever fought.

Thurman I think just edged a decision last night with cleaner shots. Thurman/Garcia or Thurman Brook needs to happen next, then a rematch.

BTW, The "fans" in Brooklyn are a disgrace. How can you boo a fight like that.

Comment

• Anyone who didn't know that they would flat out rob Porter is crazy. Thurman looked like crap, no power, "One Time" is "Done Time". Porter did himself the biggest disservice by signing with PBC because he was brought in to be a journeyman for their more popular names like Thurman. In any close fight, he will always come up short because that's the role he was brought in to play.

Comment

• close fight probably a draw but Porter won the fan base & crowd

Porter still won the fight by winning the fans and the crowd to Port's side. Thurman is hated in the boxing circles with that big mouth and small stature. The fight was probably a DRAW. tHURMAN just doesn't have any fan appeal.

Comment

• Originally posted by darius45 View Post
                      I think he's clean. His work-rate and conditioning are no better than Bradley, and I'm pretty sure Bradley is clean. The human body is capable of a lot. Porter like Bradley is an example of what extremely hard work can accomplish when you're not super gifted athletically.

Also, I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but after Thurman's performance against Porter, I don't think there was anyway he could of beat Floyd had they ever fought.

Thurman I think just edged a decision last night with cleaner shots. Thurman/Garcia or Thurman Brook needs to happen next, then a rematch.

BTW, The "fans" in Brooklyn are a disgrace. How can you boo a fight like that.
                      I'm not sure either way but I think he looks a lot more powerful than Bradley and doesn't look like he wears down in the same way. Especially when he's boiling down to make the weight. But who knows.

I would give credit to Thurman for pulling it out without ever holding against a mauling opponent like Porter. That's what made it such a great fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X