Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golden Boy lists possible opponents for Canelo's September PPV. Will you buy it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden Boy lists possible opponents for Canelo's September PPV. Will you buy it?

Saul "Canelo" Alvarez recently relinquished his WBC middleweight title and has been feeling the backlash in regards to potentially fighting Gennady Golovkin.

Alvarez, 25, knocked out Amir Khan last month in a bout that had an agreed upon weight of 155 pounds. The international superstar is now the biggest draw in the sport after the retirements of Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao.

According to Golden Boy Promotions' Vice President Eric Gomez (via ******.com's Michael Woods), they're a few names in the mix to land the next fight, which is likely to be in September, with Alvarez.

“Golovkin, (WBO middleweight titlist) BJ Saunders, Liam Smith, Shawn Porter, Cotto, Danny Jacobs and (Floyd) Mayweather (Jr.) all are being considered,”
    Assuming Canelo does not fight GGG in September which of the mentioned PPVs would you buy?

Billy Joe Saunders

Danny Jacobs

Shawn Porter

Liam Smith

Miguel Cotto II

Floyd Mayweather II

Or are you sick of Golden Boy/Canelo and will not buy his next PPV/stream it because of the whole GGG situation?
    I would buy the Canelo Billy Joe Saunders fight.
    15.07%
    I would order Canelo vs Danny Jacobs.
    10.96%
    I would shell out $60 for Canelo vs Shawn Porter.
    5.48%
    Canelo vs Liam Smith is worth a PPV for me.
    6.85%
    Canelo vs Cotto 2 on PPV, count me in.
    8.22%
    I can't wait to buy the Canelo vs Mayweather rematch on PPV.
    8.22%
    I am sick of Golden Boy/Canelo. Not paying (or only streaming) until he fights GGG.
    45.21%

I wouldn't pay for a Floyd-Alvarez rematch

Comment

Originally posted by Jubei View Post
      Saul "Canelo" Alvarez recently relinquished his WBC middleweight title and has been feeling the backlash in regards to potentially fighting Gennady Golovkin.

Alvarez, 25, knocked out Amir Khan last month in a bout that had an agreed upon weight of 155 pounds. The international superstar is now the biggest draw in the sport after the retirements of Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao.

According to Golden Boy Promotions' Vice President Eric Gomez (via ******.com's Michael Woods), they're a few names in the mix to land the next fight, which is likely to be in September, with Alvarez.

Assuming Canelo does not fight GGG in September which of the mentioned PPVs would you buy?

Billy Joe Saunders

Danny Jacobs

Shawn Porter

Liam Smith

Miguel Cotto II

Floyd Mayweather II

Or are you sick of Golden Boy/Canelo and will not buy his next PPV/stream it because of the whole GGG situation?
      Well, I'm sure Mayweather / Cotto will make some money but I doubt those fights get made and I wouldn't buy them anyway. I've already seen it.

The Cotto fight is pointless and as popular as Alvarez he needs Mayweather more than Mayweather needs him. Mayweather doesn't need to come out of retirement, doesn't need to move up to 155, doesn't need to give Alvarez any concessions, doesn't need to do Golden Boy any favours. Alvarez might go down but considering the massive egos involved on both sides this fight doesn't get made.

As for the others, Shawn Porter is the only one who has fought anyone of note which I am told you have to have done in order to get a fight against Alvarez. Of course the best way to quash your reputation as someone who only fights people smaller than you is too drag another welterweight up, right?

Danny Jacobs? The WBA regular champion? I guess if you want to know who is the best fighter currently ducking Golovkin this fight would make sense.

Liam Smith? That's more like it! Prove how much of a bad man you are by beating the easiest champion in the weight class below you.

Billy Joe Saunders? Good fight I guess. Of course the only reason you'd make this fight is so that Golovkin can't fight him so you could continue to say that he hasn't fought anybody.

For the love of gods, can we just get the Golovkin fight, please? I honestly don't see how risking getting knocked out damages Alvarez's career anymore than what he's doing now. It's not like he's got a zero to defend.

Comment

I'd like to see Canelo-Jacobs.

But I think he'll fight Liam Smith.

Comment

They are all better than Monroe and Wade.

Comment

Some of those are good fights, some of them reek donkey nuts.

Comment

Eeeew no. Those fights suck. Floyd's a big name, but we've seen Canelo's style be rendered useless against his, so what's the point?

If those are his next possible or matches, boxing is dead

Comment

He better fight Golovkin next or the damage is done. He has proved himself time and time again but dropping the belt takes ducking to a new extreme.

Comment

Originally posted by zerosixthree View Post
                  Well, I'm sure Mayweather / Cotto will make some money but I doubt those fights get made and I wouldn't buy them anyway. I've already seen it.

The Cotto fight is pointless and as popular as Alvarez he needs Mayweather more than Mayweather needs him. Mayweather doesn't need to come out of retirement, doesn't need to move up to 155, doesn't need to give Alvarez any concessions, doesn't need to do Golden Boy any favours. Alvarez might go down but considering the massive egos involved on both sides this fight doesn't get made.

As for the others, Shawn Porter is the only one who has fought anyone of note which I am told you have to have done in order to get a fight against Alvarez. Of course the best way to quash your reputation as someone who only fights people smaller than you is too drag another welterweight up, right?

Danny Jacobs? The WBA regular champion? I guess if you want to know who is the best fighter currently ducking Golovkin this fight would make sense.

Liam Smith? That's more like it! Prove how much of a bad man you are by beating the easiest champion in the weight class below you.

Billy Joe Saunders? Good fight I guess. Of course the only reason you'd make this fight is so that Golovkin can't fight him so you could continue to say that he hasn't fought anybody.

For the love of gods, can we just get the Golovkin fight, please? I honestly don't see how risking getting knocked out damages Alvarez's career anymore than what he's doing now. It's not like he's got a zero to defend.
                  Great points, agree to most of it.

I wish Oscar and Canelo would surprise us and actually make the GGG fight happen next. If not at least fight at 160 against a legit MW.. I would prefer Lemieux or Stevens actually. Liam Smith sucks. Cotto old and too small.

Comment

Originally posted by Jubei View Post
                    Great points, agree to most of it.

I wish Oscar and Canelo would surprise us and actually make the GGG fight happen next. If not at least fight at 160 against a legit MW.. I would prefer Lemieux or Stevens actually. Liam Smith sucks. Cotto old and too small.
                    If they could organise a joint PPV with Alvarez and Golovkin co-headlining against Danny Jacobs and BJS later in the year to set up a fight between the winners late 2016/ early 2017 then I'd certainly watch that. Anything else would be nothing more that procrastination while waiting for Golovkin to show signs of weakness.

Comment

Working...
                    X