Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GGG being "ducked" isnt a good enough excuse for his resume when mike McCallum was 2

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
    also I get annoyed because I see posters who big this guy up but trash fighters who are more proven.
    "Proven" is subjective. Plus, none of those "proven" guys got ducked like diseases. It allowed them to have shiny resumes. Use your brain doe. It's not rocket science.

Comment

Originally posted by JQside View Post
      "Proven" is subjective. Plus, none of those "proven" guys got ducked like diseases. It allowed them to have shiny resumes. Use your brain doe. It's not rocket science.
      ducked is an excuse....other fighters were ducked and still made fights with better competition.

Mike McCallum got ducked if you followed 80s boxing. he went to hometowns, moved up, all of that and ended uP an ATG Chasing greatness. greatness is earned, not given like those 2/3 alphabet belts he has.

he fighter is judged by what happens in the ring, no shouldve couldve oh he ducked bull crap

find another excuse....Paul williams was so called ducked, Margarito was so called ducked, McCallum was so called ducked, as was charley burley but they took chances to enhance their resume

as long as GGG has people that make excuses for him, he is ok. what do you guys really expect out of this guy. doesnt seem like much.

Comment

Originally posted by JQside View Post
        lets be real...who is running to fight rigondeaux? he still has a win over an elite....Donaire

Who is running to fight kovalev....no one...he still has wins over elite guys and makes his mandatories

Who is calling out Crawford? no one wants this guy but he still finds a way to fight decent comp/

no one is running to fight Lara but he has fought better competition than GGG

you have to take chances and GGG's team is more calculated than his die hards are willing to admit.

the"everyone ducking GGG" excuse is spoiled and outdated. its 2016 not 2013.

Comment

for me it all boils down to me being a boxing fan and seeing a possibly great fighter have his best years pissed away because of politics, his team, and other issues.
          **** man thats happening to a lot more guys than just GGG. We waited half a decade for Manny & Floyd to fight. No one comes close to Rigo (granted he does have a team of idiots working on ways to f#ck things up 24/7/365). More relevant to this topic I feel we missed potentially great, for sure fun MW fights between GGG & Sergio & GGG & Cotto & likely GGG vs Canelo & that doesn't seem to be because of GGG's lack of desire.

I'd actually love for Cotto to hold to his word that he'd fight GGG if he won over Canelo, & we all now Cotto thought he beat Canelo, so lets see Cotto step up for Canelo & get his belt back that Canelo gave away. At this point GGG vs Cotto might be the biggest fight GGG will ever be able to get at MW.

GGG could be an ATG but his team has to let it happen. I cant put all the blame on everyone from m 154-168 without him recieving any criticism when we all know he could have fought better opponents than he has the past 3 years.
          ATG is a silly ass fantasyland conversation too. I feel like I'm in the minority here of being a guy just enjoying the fights today for just being the fights today & not trying to figure out reasons why Joe Louis is or isn't better than Tyson Fury, Wladimir Klitschko &/or Deontay Wilder & having pissing contests about scifi "if they fought in the same era &/or could somehow fight each other in a time vaccum" or whatever child bs is being talked about with ATG stuff.

And I just don't see who GGG coulda fought in most cases. MW isn't THAT deep a division really. I'd make the list of guys GGG coulda fought if various **** on the other side (from business stuff to being a lil ***** imho) didn't impact those fights, but I don't think I'd do it justice cuz its so long & I'd forget guys.

also I get annoyed because I see posters who big this guy up but trash fighters who are more proven.
          If thats your reasoning fair enough. But its silly & biased...but hell man we all got silly & biased opinions sometimes.

Comment

the times has nothing to do with a fighter chasing greatness.

McCallum fought guys in their back yards like Kalambay to get fights, watson, and Graham too.

he moved up in weight, he knew Hearns and Duran wouldnt fight him at 154

what do smart phones have to do with people claiming GGG is ducked being the reason his resume sucks, when fighters throughout history have been ducked on a greater scale and still make his resume look like crap

they've deemed some fighters unworthy, some werent known enough, or they didnt want to pay what was asked, or their were weight issues etc.

this dude is ducked as much as his team plays the risk vs reward formula.
            Times have a lot to do with it. You said it yourself...risk vs reward. Welcome to modern day boxing. If McCallum or others had the opportunity to gain the popularity and make the kind of money as some of these guys today, they may have moved their careers differently. What smartphones and these on the sport interview guys are doing gives unprecedented access and publicity to fighters and others around the sport. You think anyone asked McCallum's trainer anything? You probably don't even know who his trainer was without looking it up. Given that amount of attention, these guys might have talked some **** too. You're comparing something that you're around and are exposed to constantly, to something you weren't around and have limited knowledge of...what makes you qualified to draw the comparison?

Comment

lets be real...who is running to fight rigondeaux? he still has a win over an elite....Donaire

Who is running to fight kovalev....no one...he still has wins over elite guys and makes his mandatories

Who is calling out Crawford? no one wants this guy but he still finds a way to fight decent comp/

no one is running to fight Lara but he has fought better competition than GGG

you have to take chances and GGG's team is more calculated than his die hards are willing to admit.

the"everyone ducking GGG" excuse is spoiled and outdated. its 2016 not 2013.

and that fight only happened because Donaire thought he could beat Rigo.

Canelo, Cotto, Martinez, Saunders, Froch, Chavez, Sturm, Barker, NDam, etc etc etc suffer no such illusions about their chances with GGG.......

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post

ATG is a silly ass fantasyland conversation too. I feel like I'm in the minority here of being a guy just enjoying the fights today for just being the fights today & not trying to figure out reasons why Joe Louis is or isn't better than Tyson Fury, Wladimir Klitschko &/or Deontay Wilder & having pissing contests about scifi "if they fought in the same era &/or could somehow fight each other in a time vaccum" or whatever child bs is being talked about with ATG stuff.
                Couldn't agree more. I mean, wtf is the point of even discussing someone's atg status half way through their career anyway? Sometimes i wonder how or if some posters around here even enjoy the damn sport. The constant dissection gets annoying.

Comment

ive been on message boards for years....since the early 2000s and had to endure proven fighters like Naseem Hamed, Mayweather, RoY jones and others get trashed and they fought better competition.

yet i have to endure this guy is a beast, they ducking doe, he is this and that...no one was jumping to fight roy jones but he was blamed for fights not happening. so was floyd.

Mayweather was getting trashed on this site the past few years for who he fought, yet fought 15 champions in a row to end his career.

they just want GGG to win, they dont care who he fights, they wont admit it.
                  absolutely, once he was willing to fight Chavez Jr or Froch but not ward I knew what time it was even though im still a fan,

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    **** man thats happening to a lot more guys than just GGG. We waited half a decade for Manny & Floyd to fight. No one comes close to Rigo (granted he does have a team of idiots working on ways to f#ck things up 24/7/365). More relevant to this topic I feel we missed potentially great, for sure fun MW fights between GGG & Sergio & GGG & Cotto & likely GGG vs Canelo & that doesn't seem to be because of GGG's lack of desire.

I'd actually love for Cotto to hold to his word that he'd fight GGG if he won over Canelo, & we all now Cotto thought he beat Canelo, so lets see Cotto step up for Canelo & get his belt back that Canelo gave away. At this point GGG vs Cotto might be the biggest fight GGG will ever be able to get at MW.

And I just don't see who GGG coulda fought in most cases. MW isn't THAT deep a division really. I'd make the list of guys GGG coulda fought if various **** on the other side (from business stuff to being a lil ***** imho) didn't impact those fights, but I don't think I'd do it justice cuz its so long & I'd forget guys.

If thats your reasoning fair enough. But its silly & biased...but hell man we all got silly & biased opinions sometimes.
                    Pac and floyd were hall of famers and ATG long before 2015 and were before this decade.

GGG is a potenitally great fighter. he is already 34, if they dont put the foot on the gas he will be another shouldve couldve wouldve case.....and if he does you can thank his team and HBO for not forcing better opponents.

they are wasting this man's prime on mandatories!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 12TRIBEsRiSe View Post
                      absolutely, once he was willing to fight Chavez Jr or Froch but not ward I knew what time it was even though im still a fan,
                      I like GGG's style and skill as a boxer puncher. but when that happened it opened my eyes that they play risk vs reward like everyone else. he isnt as ducked as the media and his die hards tries to make it out to be

Comment

Working...
                      X