Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GGG being "ducked" isnt a good enough excuse for his resume when mike McCallum was 2

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
    oh yeah, like who? Which fights could realistically get made genius? And please lets skip the usual Lara/Ward debate, as its been had 1000 times already and nobody is likely to change their opinions at the moment.

Forget Degale, because he has the Jack fight coming

Forget Ramirez, because no way Bob makes that move just yet

So lets hear all the BIG names at 154 or 168 that could get made.
    there are fighters out their. Lara is willing,

this is from 2013, when they made their 154-175 statement and fighters were taking the bait. this is fro Edwin Rodriquez

Edwin Rodriguez is preparing to participate in a super middleweight tournament consisting of 4 fighters, beginning March 30th when Rodriguez steps in the ring with Ezequiel Osvaldo Maderna. That same night Zolt Erdei will square off against Denis Grachev, with the winners meeting in July. The finalist will compete for a million dollar purse with the winner taking home $600,000 and the loser getting $400,000.

Rodriguez is hoping that he can duplicate the same kind of success that Andre Ward found after competing in and winning the Super 6 tournament. The idea is winning this tournament will make Rodriguez a viable opponent for some of the bigger names in the 168lb division and ultimately get him a shot at a world title.

“I’m ready to show the world I’m an elite fighter, I’m ready to win the tournament and comeback and fight for a title. I’m able to fight good fighters for good money out of the country and that will give me a boost to get the big names like Carl Froch, Andre Ward, Mikkel Kessler and all the big name super middleweights,” Rodriguez said.

Ironically enough, the main event of the March 30th card is Gennady Golovkin vs. Nobuhiro Ishida for Golovkin’s WBA middleweight title. A fight between Rodriguez and Golovkin had been discussed over the past few months, but ultimately it was turned down by Rodriguez who explained that the terms of the fight weren’t adequate enough to take on a whim. However, he did say that he could see a potential fight down the road.

“I would love to [fight Gennady], his team and promotional company send me a contract to fight at 164lbs and next day they say I have to be 10lbs off. They go on HBO and say they’re big enough to fight anybody from 154 to 168, after I win this tournament I’m open if you want to fight me. My weight is 168lbs, come and get it.”

Rodriguez explained further that not only was he dissatisfied with the terms of the fight, but he also felt frustrated about the situation in its entirety and even took a stab at what a catch weight could suggest about the confidence in Golovkin and his team.

“Don’t send me a contract saying I have to be 10lbs off or come down to a catch weight, I’m a super middleweight and you said you’d fight anyone from 154 to 168 but then you’re fighting guys at light middleweights. If you’re really as good as you say and your team really believes you’re that good then move up and fight me at 168 and stop sending me contracts that aren’t even worth looking at.”

Like I said boxing is a business....they play the risk vs reward, and A side/B side game like everyone else. He has been ducked but he hasnt fought everyone willing to fight him either.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
      he may not be able to make 154 but im sure he can make 168 and 175 like McCallum...he is a beast right?
      Again who's the Toney & Sumbu Kalambay of 160?

**** who's the Toney & Sumbu Kalambay of 168? Ramirez? lol. Abraham?

If there is a Toney or Sumbu at 160 or 168 they aren't quite Toney or Sumbu yet.

And ultimately this sorta stuff is just you backhandedly saying GGG is a beast not me. I like GGG. He's a fun guy to watch. I think Canelo, Lara & Ward probably are the top 3 most likely opponents he could realistically fight who I think could beat him. He's one of the better fighters of this era, I think its hard to see he's not the best 160lber right now, but I do see him as beatable...just like anyone else.

I also noticed you ignored most of the points I made cuz you got lil to no counterpoint that McCallum didn't move up out of his seeming comfort range (154-160ish) to fight anyone notable til he was 37 (3yrs older than GGG is now) & that there isn't the opponent options out there for GGG like there was for McCallum.

Why you keep hating on GGG for doe bro? He's fun to watch. He seems like a nice guy. He gives fans the conclusive ending to most of his fights they wanna see. Granted he's not fought the top guys he could've, but I think there is far more prolific of an argument that they avoided him than he avoided anyone. If half the guys who GGG could've fought didn't back down or avoid GGG, GGG would probably be more famous & mainstream then Canelo right now.

Comment

its a huge difference.

whats a bigger accomplishment...beating the champion or titleholder or having it handed to you.

you know there is a difference. You get more respect for earning things not things being handed to you.

I never said him being ducked is a myth, his team doesnt want to fight certain fighters for whatever reason but will fight other ones. they play risk vs reward like everyone else. boxing is a business.
        actually, now that you mention it, I think it says an awful lot about how highly other fighters rate him if they prefer to take off their championship belt and hand it over without a fight, instead of defending it with honor.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          Again who's the Toney & Sumbu Kalambay of 160?

**** who's the Toney & Sumbu Kalambay of 168? Ramirez? lol. Abraham?

If there is a Toney or Sumbu at 160 or 168 they aren't quite Toney or Sumbu yet.

And ultimately this sorta stuff is just you backhandedly saying GGG is a beast not me. I like GGG. He's a fun guy to watch. I think Canelo, Lara & Ward probably are the top 3 most likely opponents he could realistically fight who I think could beat him. He's one of the better fighters of this era, I think its hard to see he's not the best 160lber right now, but I do see him as beatable...just like anyone else.

I also noticed you ignored most of the points I made cuz you got lil to no counterpoint that McCallum didn't move up out of his seeming comfort range (154-160ish) to fight anyone notable til he was 37 (3yrs older than GGG is now) & that there isn't the opponent options out there for GGG like there was for McCallum.

Why you keep hating on GGG for doe bro? He's fun to watch. He seems like a nice guy. He gives fans the conclusive ending to most of his fights they wanna see. Granted he's not fought the top guys he could've, but I think there is far more prolific of an argument that they avoided him than he avoided anyone. If half the guys who GGG could've fought didn't back down or avoid GGG, GGG would probably be more famous & mainstream then Canelo right now.
          there are dozens of fighters that would make a better opponent than Dominic " the mandatory" wade.....come on man, Adama, Iishida, Monroe. These are the types he regularly fights and then he fights a Geale or a Lemieux type once every year and a half and the rest are no names

a top ten guy from 154-160 would be nice other than some no name...its no deeper than that...it may be fun to you but I like knockouts but not mismatches.

Comment

You know what? We come on this forum, defending the fighters we like & trashing those we don't like. The reality is that we don't really know why they make the decisions that they make. We can only guess & offer our 2 cents. Pugilist, you want to know why GGG hasn't moved up yet? Why don't you ask him, because I don't know the man & can't really say.

Comment

GGG is a good fighter but their comes a time when a fighter and their team have to take responsibility for the position they are in.

Abel Sanchez has been running his mouth and making declarations since GGG hit HBO. MR. 154-175 They have turned down fights like everyone else, for whatever reasons, yet he gets a pass for having a thin resume against elite opponents, yet the same people who play damage control for him, trash fighters who are more accomplished and fought better opposition.

Mike McCallum was avoided by one of the most famous groups of fighters of all time. Duran, Leonard, Hagler and Hearns. He didnt whine, no one made excuses for him, he fought other top fighters like Sumbu Kalambay and James Toney, moved up in weight and actually won titles from 154,160, and 175

guys like Charley Burley, Aaron Pryor, Holman Williams and dozens of other fighters were avoided like the plague but no one made excuses for them

want to talk about avoided.....Hagler didnt get a title fight until 50 fights in whereas GGG is 35 fights in and 2/3 belts that he holds he didnt even win in the ring. He was happy to sit their and be elevated with fighting anyone

GGG is a good fighter but how long are you guys gonna ride that "wont nobody fight him horse" when Mike McCallum was ducked by better fighters, still had a hall of fame resume and actually won titles from 154-175? He fought on until he was 40 because his big fights didnt come until he was past prime. The same happened to Archie Moore. Who was avoided at his best.
              How do you know none of them whined or got excuses made for them tho? Was there forums full of b1tching fans and so called "media" chasing them around with smartphones baiting them into saying something provocative? Differnt times...different things shaping your perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
                How do you know none of them whined or got excuses made for them tho? Was there forums full of b1tching fans and so called "media" chasing them around with smartphones baiting them into saying something provocative? Differnt times...different things shaping your perspective.
                the times has nothing to do with a fighter chasing greatness.

McCallum fought guys in their back yards like Kalambay to get fights, watson, and Graham too.

he moved up in weight, he knew Hearns and Duran wouldnt fight him at 154

what do smart phones have to do with people claiming GGG is ducked being the reason his resume sucks, when fighters throughout history have been ducked on a greater scale and still make his resume look like crap

they've deemed some fighters unworthy, some werent known enough, or they didnt want to pay what was asked, or their were weight issues etc.

this dude is ducked as much as his team plays the risk vs reward formula.

Comment

GGG is a good fighter but their comes a time when a fighter and their team have to take responsibility for the position they are in.

Abel Sanchez has been running his mouth and making declarations since GGG hit HBO. MR. 154-175 They have turned down fights like everyone else, for whatever reasons, yet he gets a pass for having a thin resume against elite opponents, yet the same people who play damage control for him, trash fighters who are more accomplished and fought better opposition.

Mike McCallum was avoided by one of the most famous groups of fighters of all time. Duran, Leonard, Hagler and Hearns. He didnt whine, no one made excuses for him, he fought other top fighters like Sumbu Kalambay and James Toney, moved up in weight and actually won titles from 154,160, and 175

guys like Charley Burley, Aaron Pryor, Holman Williams and dozens of other fighters were avoided like the plague but no one made excuses for them

want to talk about avoided.....Hagler didnt get a title fight until 50 fights in whereas GGG is 35 fights in and 2/3 belts that he holds he didnt even win in the ring. He was happy to sit their and be elevated with fighting anyone

GGG is a good fighter but how long are you guys gonna ride that "wont nobody fight him horse" when Mike McCallum was ducked by better fighters, still had a hall of fame resume and actually won titles from 154-175? He fought on until he was 40 because his big fights didnt come until he was past prime. The same happened to Archie Moore. Who was avoided at his best.
                  Mike McCallum is a God and probably one of my top ten favorite fighters. That said McCallum was roughly GGG's age before he ever made the jump to middleweight and after he had pretty much beat up who mattered at 154. Yes he was avoided by the big names, but he still got Curry, Julian Jackson, McCrory and Minchillio in the ring at 154. Not that the guys at MW are as good, but that would be on par of Canelo, Jacobs, Quillen, and Saunders actually sacking up.

Comment

dude is in his mid 30s, time is running out

im sick and tired of the excuses. Its 2016.....people have been saying he'd fight better competition since 2013. Im getting restless. Im a boxing fan and if you are gonna be packaged and promoted as the best then I want to see you fight contenders and champions more often than no names

Im tired of his die hard fans trashing proven fighters like Khan, Mayweather, Broner, Danny Garcia, etc. Guys who have challenged themselves, jumped weights, actually won their titles in the ring and no elevations.

its annoying as crap and shows the biase. they dont care who he fights as long as he wins. yet set the bar miles farther for other fighters.
                    How old was Hopkins when he moved up?

Comment

Originally posted by DreamerUSA View Post
                      Mike McCallum is a God and probably one of my top ten favorite fighters. That said McCallum was roughly GGG's age before he ever made the jump to middleweight and after he had pretty much beat up who mattered at 154. Yes he was avoided by the big names, but he still got Curry, Julian Jackson, McCrory and Minchillio in the ring at 154. Not that the guys at MW are as good, but that would be on par of Canelo, Jacobs, Quillen, and Saunders actually sacking up.
                      boxing is a business. I seriously doubt everyone with a pulse from 154-175 is ducking this guy. let alone 160-168

its certain people they want to fight and others they dont.

Comment

Working...
                      X