Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't the African American crowd gravitate to Ward like Mayweather?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SergioMartinez View Post
    Yep, just because I'm a Sergio Martinez fan you think I'm not black? LOL.

Let's get to the real issue here.

Not many blacks watch boxing, so the market is smaller. The fan base portion is smaller.

I probably know 2-3 hard core boxing fans, you know the ones who understand weight classes, who can name more than 10 active boxers.

Most black people I know, don't watch boxing faithfully, if at all.
    They watch NBA, NFL, and some even UFC.

So we are acting like there is a huge black fan base in boxing when it's not.

When I try to talk boxing with black people, here's how it goes...

1. Mayweather Vs Tyson would have been a great fight......umm weight classes apart

2. Mayweather Vs Ward is what should happen.....ummm weight classes apart

There's just a lack of hardcore black boxing fans, lots of casuals, but few real boxing fans.
    It's seems as if boxing has been decreasing in popularity in the AA community since the end of the 80's. But I'm too young to know that for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by -GDS- View Post
      It's seems as if boxing has been decreasing in popularity in the AA community since the end of the 80's. But I'm too young to know that for sure.
      after the tyson, bowe, holyfield era in the 90s the AA community are not hard core fans...most people of color watch the nfl, college ball, or nba

Boxing isnt a huge sport in the black community to watch but in contrast their are a lot more fighters.

for example most white americans I know love boxing or mma but very few have been in a ring or octagon or trained.

some people would rather do the fighting than watching. different folks different strokes.....my mexican homies are real boxing fans...they are knowledgeable and passionate. A few of my guys we hit up pubs and chit chat with locals but most times, the only people who really follow the sport are our latino brothers.

Comment

Broner is more popular than Ward. Wilder is probably more popular than Ward. It has ****all to do with talent...

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
          Ward's never gonna pull the World Star Hip Hop demographic.
          And thankfully so.

I don't blame him one bit. All is money is not good money.

Comment

Originally posted by BOXEO _ View Post
            Ward's popularity will skyrocket if he manages to beat Kovalev. Trust.
            You still think so?

Comment

Racism. hes not full.

Comment

cause ward is white./

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Objectivity View Post
                  Racism. hes not full.
                  lol casuals prob dont even know hes white.. its cause of style and persona

Comment

Too white.

Comment

Casuals dont gravitate towards Ward because he just isnt that kind of personality. He is very closed and impersonal. He doesnt want or appreciate the kind of attention that Mayweather courted.

He also isnt as clean with his boxing as Mayweather, which makes a difference when you are trying to sell him to the public. Mayweather might not have taken many risks in the ring, but his counters and punches were picture perfect when he did throw them.

Comment

Working...
                      X