Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't the African American crowd gravitate to Ward like Mayweather?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Stark View Post
    I've noticed that they gravitate towards Mayweather more. Mayweather does really well with PPVs. There was a time where Ward was struggling to sellout his own venues. What gives? They are both talented boxers with great resumes but they gravitate towards Mayweather more. Does anyone know why? Is it because Ward doesn't flash money l, cars, and women like Mayweather? Or is there another reason? It has be something outside of boxing because they are both defensive fighters.
    9/10 if you know who ward is you follow him. Either you know him or you dont. But the people who do, give him high praise.

He isnt a prick or promote himself like floyd so their isnt this huge group of the media that love to hate him. Also he dominates with knocking guys out and today's fans dont appreciate skills as much as they do a punch up or ko. being brash It brought in new fans for floyd. Ward is just being himself, and if thats not enough, he is just happy racking up $ and wins

Comment

Originally posted by 10COUNT View Post
      Ward s clean cut. Americans are fascinated with the ghetto hip hop rich lifestyle. They are the demographic.
      thats the way american media likes to portray black men as being. When he was pretty boy floyd, megawatt smile, and saying the right things, no one gave a ****. He had a high ko ratio too. Couldnt even sell out his hometown back in the early 2000s

soon as he changed his persona and became someone they could love to hate ( lets be real, the black man in america is the most hated, yet most copied culturally and envied in the country. He just pulled a page out of jack jonshon's book and Alis.....Floyd knew after 10 years he was never gonna be a star trying to be a lightweight ray leonard)

You dont give them any ammo being a matter of fact, family man type like Ward.

Floyd ruffled feathers, but the thing was, they didnt realize that he was as great as he was and he flipped the game on them. Acted like the negro they love to hate, we know its an act, but empty their pockets. Floyd was very insightful and smart for this. I remember when larry merchant said,"he'll never reach the level of a dlh)

Comment

Originally posted by SergioMartinez View Post
        A few reasons.

1. Ward is simply not as exciting, inside the ring or outside, and when was the last time someone said Mayweather was more exciting than anyone inside the ring?

2. He doesn't market himself, alot of African Americans don't know who Ward is, they know Mayweather, Mike Tyson, and a few more, most of them are casual boxing fans who think Mike Tyson still boxes.
        Are you even American, let alone black?

Comment

Let's be honest, half the people watching Mayweather wanted him to lose.probably more than half.

Ward doesn't capture the attention of people like Floyd, he's not flashy at all,he doesn't get in trouble with the law either...he just seems like a normal dude outside the ring and that's not the kind of guy who grabs attention...plus he has been so inactive and hasn't had a big fight in ages..come November that will change..

Comment

Originally posted by niceyboo3 View Post
            Are you even American, let alone black?
            Yep, just because I'm a Sergio Martinez fan you think I'm not black? LOL.

Let's get to the real issue here.

Not many blacks watch boxing, so the market is smaller. The fan base portion is smaller.

I probably know 2-3 hard core boxing fans, you know the ones who understand weight classes, who can name more than 10 active boxers.

Most black people I know, don't watch boxing faithfully, if at all.
            They watch NBA, NFL, and some even UFC.

So we are acting like there is a huge black fan base in boxing when it's not.

When I try to talk boxing with black people, here's how it goes...

1. Mayweather Vs Tyson would have been a great fight......umm weight classes apart

2. Mayweather Vs Ward is what should happen.....ummm weight classes apart

There's just a lack of hardcore black boxing fans, lots of casuals, but few real boxing fans.
            Last edited by SergioMartinez; 05-17-2016, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SergioMartinez View Post
              Yep, just because I'm a Sergio Martinez fan you think I'm not black? LOL.

Let's get to the real issue here.

Not many blacks watch boxing, so the market is smaller. The fan base portion is smaller.

I probably know 2-3 hard core boxing fans, you know the ones who understand weight classes, who can name more than 10 active boxers.

Most black people I know, don't watch boxing faithfully, if at all.
              They watch NBA, NFL, and some even UFC.

So we are acting like there is a huge black fan base in boxing when it's not.

When I try to talk boxing with black people, here's how it goes...

1. Mayweather Vs Tyson would have been a great fight......umm weight classes apart

2. Mayweather Vs Ward is what should happen.....ummm weight classes apart

There's just a lack of hardcore black boxing fans, lots of casuals, but few real boxing fans.
              Nope, just checking

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
                Let's be honest, half the people watching Mayweather wanted him to lose.probably more than half.

Ward doesn't capture the attention of people like Floyd, he's not flashy at all,he doesn't get in trouble with the law either...he just seems like a normal dude outside the ring and that's not the kind of guy who grabs attention...plus he has been so inactive and hasn't had a big fight in ages..come November that will change..
                Agreed.

Hispanics and Europeans paid to watch Mayweather lose because they hated him, they don't hate Ward, hence him not being a attraction.

Comment

The demographic see themselves in FMJ & Broner etc they identify with Neanderthal ******ation.. Broner has more fans lol.

Comment

I've noticed that they gravitate towards Mayweather more. Mayweather does really well with PPVs. There was a time where Ward was struggling to sellout his own venues. What gives? They are both talented boxers with great resumes but they gravitate towards Mayweather more. Does anyone know why? Is it because Ward doesn't flash money l, cars, and women like Mayweather? Or is there another reason? It has be something outside of boxing because they are both defensive fighters.
                    Dang i knew a lot of brothas are fast & jump high but never knew they were gravitating now. Should make an interesting NBA finals

Comment

Why isn't he a ppv attraction like Mayweather?
                      Have you even remotely followed Mayweather's career? He didn't have his first PPV until his 34th pro fight. This was after clearing out hoards of world class champions. Garnering mass attention as a defensive fighter takes time, despite winning results.

Comment

Working...
                      X