Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Golovkin-Wade Registers As Most-Watched Cable TV Fight of 2016

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
    I couldn't find it.

My guess is they lost at the gate and HBO/K2 had to come out of pocket a bit. No biggie-short term loss for long term gain since win keeps the Canelo fight alive and that, IMO, will do significant numbers.
    What?? What are you smoking they lost at the gate?

I think we're done here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post

I think we're done here.
      wade and GGG made like $2.5 mil combined in purse right? I don't think the gate was that much. So they lost a bit.

Comment

I think we're done here.
        It's Ward who won at the gate, doe...

Comment

wade and GGG made like $2.5 mil combined in purse right? I don't think the gate was that much. So they lost a bit.
          There's no top level fights that come close to breaking even off the gate anymore. By that paradigm every major fight loses money, including May/Pac which set the all time gate record.

TV money always pays the bills, the gate these days is considered extra.

Comment

There's no top level fights that come close to breaking even off the gate anymore. By that paradigm every major fight loses money, including May/Pac which set the all time gate record.

TV money always pays the bills, the gate these days is considered extra.
            You kind of over reacted.

Major fights obviously have other revenue streams. This wasn't a PPV, just a TV fight so the gate is the main revenue stream. May/Pac the PPV sales were the main revenue stream.

The majority of GGG tix are really cheap. so its hard to generate a lot of revenue. I was saying K2/HBO lost a bit but didn't care because as long as he stays undefeated the Canelo revenue should make up for whatever K2 loses on a fight like this.

Its just like PBC. although they are a much more extreme example.

Comment

First off, if you can't provide any verifiable source for gate numbers, then don't start comparing them based on your assumptions.

Golovkin/Wade sold 16,353 tickets. If you go conservative and say average ticket price was $50, that's over $800k gate. I imagine it did a over that b/c I imagine average ticket price was greater than $50. Merchandise sells for this event alone did over $90k.

As far as staging goes, they did what you're supposed to do based on past events. Golovkin/Monroe did 12,300, so they staged for a little beyond that. Then when it started exceeding those, they upped it. That's what you're supposed to do.

You're reaching with this over price and see what happens crap. Alvarez/Cotto did that and struggled to sell tickets for a venue that holds less than 14k, and the same thing is happening with Alvarez/Khan where now they have to down size the arena. By your lame definition Canelo must not be 'that guy'. GTFO....
              Ward-Dawson numbers were disclosed by the CSAC; why K2 has yet to do the same for any Golovkin fight (sans rumors at the Lemieux number after the PPV flopped) is something that K2 has to answer for.

K2 added 4000 $30 seats to the venue, on top of the initial set-up of 12,300 seats budgeted $30-$400.

Andre Ward did about as much business off of selling just short of 8k tickets in 2012 than Golovkin did in his showcase fight at The Forum in front of 16k.

let that sink in for a moment.

Comment

You kind of over reacted.

Major fights obviously have other revenue streams. This wasn't a PPV, just a TV fight so the gate is the main revenue stream. May/Pac the PPV sales were the main revenue stream.

The majority of GGG tix are really cheap. so its hard to generate a lot of revenue. I was saying K2/HBO lost a bit but didn't care because as long as he stays undefeated the Canelo revenue should make up for whatever K2 loses on a fight like this.

Its just like PBC. although they are a much more extreme example.
                Wtf are you talking about? The main revenue stream is the license fee HBO paid for the fight.

That's why many promoters are lazy and don't promote their shows well in terms of getting a big live gate -- because they are ensured profit as their end is usually covered by the % they get from their fighter.

Loeffler is actually doing a great job with Golovkin--every promoter should be doing that for his fighters.

Live gate hasn't been the main revenue stream since the pre-TV era

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                  Ward-Dawson numbers were disclosed by the CSAC; why K2 has yet to do the same for any Golovkin fight (sans rumors at the Lemieux number after the PPV flopped) is something that K2 has to answer for.

K2 added 4000 $30 seats to the venue, on top of the initial set-up of 12,300 seats budgeted $30-$400.

Andre Ward did about as much business off of selling just short of 8k tickets in 2012 than Golovkin did in his showcase fight at The Forum in front of 16k.

let that sink in for a moment.
                  GGG vs. Lemieux did more than 2 million at the gate. Just ask google.

That punk takes ******ity to the next level.

Comment

• Originally posted by djt117 View Post
                    Wtf are you talking about? The main revenue stream is the license fee HBO paid for the fight.

That's why many promoters are lazy and don't promote their shows well in terms of getting a big live gate -- because they are ensured profit as their end is usually covered by the % they get from their fighter.

Loeffler is actually doing a great job with Golovkin--every promoter should be doing that for his fighters.

Live gate hasn't been the main revenue stream since the pre-TV era
                    I never said he was doing a bad job. what if the fee and the gate combined do not cover the cost-then the promoter dips in the pocket.

Comment

I never said he was doing a bad job. what if the fee and the gate combined do not cover the cost-then the promoter dips in the pocket.
                      Yeah of course but you'd have to be nuts to think they lose money on any GGG fight. He sells out arenas on two different coasts, and draws the highest ratings of any fighter on HBO except Canelo (on those occasions when he fights off PPV). So you know the license fee is very high, obviously.

I mean I'm gonna guess perhaps you don't like GGG, which is fine, but the dude is a star, andif you're a promoter and you're losing money on GGG, lol you're doing something seriously wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X