No announcement yet.

Wade/Golovkin Purse

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
    It is interesting how there are a group of posters that claim Garcia and Thurman (just to name 2) getting $1.5 mil for bums hurts the sport because it's a disincentive to fight quality opposition but have yet to weigh in on if GGG getting $2 mil for a bum hurts the sport as well.
    and then there is the opposite group that hates on GGG getting paid well vs. a no name but don't say a word when Ward makes the same money vs similar competition or Worse (Paul smith).

either way it really depends where your loyalties fall.

Comment

It is interesting how there are a group of posters that claim Garcia and Thurman (just to name 2) getting $1.5 mil for bums hurts the sport because it's a disincentive to fight quality opposition but have yet to weigh in on if GGG getting $2 mil for a bum hurts the sport as well.
      The answer to this is pretty simple. Many of those big paydays that some of Al's fighters have got were simply due to them being overpayed. Had nothing to do with the money generated. Thurman vs Collazo for example. Thurman got 1.5 million and Collazo got 500k. They had an attendance of just over 4k. GGG is getting 2 million and Wade 500k. With an estimated attendance north of 16k. Its not hard to figure out which one is actually likely to make money. Also GGG has actually been trying to make the fights within his division. Given the Lemieux purse and what we know of the BJS offers. GGG has'nt been a ***** about money like several fighters have been.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Irony123 View Post
          and then there is the opposite group that hates on GGG getting paid well vs. a no name but don't say a word when Ward makes the same money vs similar competition or Worse (Paul smith).

either way it really depends where your loyalties fall.
          This isn't true. I haven't seen anyone hate on GGG for getting paid. They, like me, are asking the question about disincentive to fight quality fighters given their opinions on how wide purse splits affects the sport and makes guys like Ward (and almost everyone on PBC) fight only lower caliber fights.

Comment

This isn't true. I haven't seen anyone hate on GGG for getting paid. They, like me, are asking the question about disincentive to fight quality fighters given their opinions on how wide purse splits affects the sport and makes guys like Ward (and almost everyone on PBC) fight only lower caliber fights.
            fair enough... i agree with that notion.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamerUSA View Post
              The answer to this is pretty simple. Many of those big paydays that some of Al's fighters have got were simply due to them being overpayed. Had nothing to do with the money generated. Thurman vs Collazo for example. Thurman got 1.5 million and Collazo got 500k. They had an attendance of just over 4k. GGG is getting 2 million and Wade 500k. With an estimated attendance north of 16k. Its not hard to figure out which one is actually likely to make money. Also GGG has actually been trying to make the fights within his division. Given the Lemieux purse and what we know of the BJS offers. GGG has'nt been a ***** about money like several fighters have been.
              It can't only be a problem in certain instances and not others. If high payments for mismatches is a disincentive to take on tough fights, then it must be for GGG as well since he, just like the fighters I mentioned, is in the same situation.

Fair point-but the undercard is also very expensive. If they sell 16k tickets the average ticket price has to be about $180 to cover the purses ($2,875,000) for the main and semi main. You know the avg price by any chance?

Comment

It can't only be a problem in certain instances and not others. If high payments for mismatches is a disincentive to take on tough fights, then it must be for GGG as well since he, just like the fighters I mentioned, is in the same situation.

Fair point-but the undercard is also very expensive. If they sell 16k tickets the average ticket price has to be about $180 to cover the purses ($2,875,000) for the main and semi main. You know the avg price by any chance?
                They're not gonna make that much on the gate, it's just a nice supplement to the HBO license fee, and whatever they get in international rights etc

Comment

Originally posted by deanrw View Post
                  What bugs me about this, is HBO is willing to shell out 2.5 million for this fight, but was not willing to pay half of that for Loma vs Walters.

I understand that GGG is a hot commodity, but the winner of Walters vs Loma would have been also.
                  why do people constantly make that claim? You havent the slightest idea what licensing fee HBO paid to K2. All you know is what K2 is paying the fighters.

You are assuming the rights fee equaled 100% of the purses, but that is not necessarily reality. In many instances the rights fees dont cover the full purses, and the promoter has to dip into the live gate, overseas rights, or advertising revenue in order to pay everyone......

Comment

I know, right? Hypocrites the lot of em.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                      They're not gonna make that much on the gate, it's just a nice supplement to the HBO license fee, and whatever they get in international rights etc
                      ok. there in lies the point.

If the card will not sell enough to cover the purses and that underage is covered by HBO, is there a disincentive for GGG to fight better comp like posters say there is for other fighters?

Comment

Working...
                      X