Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old legends and padded records

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"outdated skills and his power would be less impressive due to wearing thicker gloves now".

Louis is far superior to Fury in the skills department. The fact that you don't know that by watching them tells me you know nothing about technique!

ps; the "flat footed stance" is how you ad POWER to your punches. You have less power when your on the move and even on your toes! Again its a techniques skill level you don't understand. I was a boxing trainer for many years and was mentored by some of the greats in boxing as a young kid!

By all means tell me about his "out dated skill"
    have you tried punching a bag with bare fists, then adding a pound in your hand? You'll be surprised that the larger heavier mass in your hand can match and most times be more effective especially if you have good power.

Your welcomed to your opinion but your opinion isn't based on any facts!

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoxingXpert View Post
      How do you know that? Who did SRR fight that was even 10% the fighter that Hagler was?
      SRR seemed to fit the MW division pretty well
      He would still have a speed and reach advantage over Hagler and to say Hagler had better boxing ability would be debatable.
      Apart from Hearns and Duran who he barely beat, who did Marvin beat so convincingly that was on SRRs level?

Comment

Don't be so simple. We are grading the men themselves not the level of technique in the era. Clearly, a guy like Robinson would train differently if he were in today's era. You have to use a bit of intelligence and insight to see what kind of instincts, reflexes, heart, endurance, etc these guys had and factor in changes in technique.

If you're one of these fools that thinks humans have somehow advanced as athletes, you're wrong. If anything, less physical lifestyles will evolve people into lesser athletes. For all the good sports nutrition has done, the quality of foods are far worse (nutritionally) than they were decades ago because of mass agriculture, farming, etc (Schwarzenegger goes into this in one of his books).

I'm not am old guy either, I don't praise the older eras, nor do I watch much black and white boxing. I'm just a guy who is really into the science and knows a bit about sport science and nutrition. Don't be fooled into thinking a guy wouldn't hang in modern boxing just because his technique looked different. Look at the fundamentals and stop trying to validate your generation.
        Last edited by Redd Foxx; 04-02-2016, 03:40 PM.

Comment

There's a couple of these threads every week. Let it go guys.

Comment

Yeah imagine SRR in this era with PED and IV bags....stop being stupid, this is not football where everyone was white and the lineman were 180 lbs 50
            years ago...

Fighters fight and they can fight in any era if they're great...

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              Why not go take vsome boxing lessons and learn just what it takes to try and compete before you start knocking great fighters.
              If you think that Robinson never fought quality you really need some history lessons sonny.

Louis was in a minor era however he took on all comers and fought 25 title defenses. Four of his prime years were taken from him because of a "little" thing called World War Two!!!!

We might be at the point of testing new members for elroidtarded and juggynutz.

This is just getting really old.
              Sorry OP but your just looking for attention theres no other reason to talk down about boxings greats! Go Away!!

Ray

Thank you Ray! I don't need to add to the truth you just shared with this young man.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                Don't be so simple. We are grading the men themselves not the level of technique in the era. Clearly, a guy like Robinson would train differently if he were in today's era. You have to use a bit of intelligence and insight to see what kind of instincts, reflexes, heart, endurance, etc these guys had and factor in changes in technique.

If you're one of these fools that thinks humans have somehow advanced as athletes, you're wrong. If anything, less physical lifestyles will evolve people into lesser athletes. For all the good sports nutrition has done, the quality of foods are far worse (nutritionally) than they were decades ago because of mass agriculture, farming, etc (Schwarzenegger goes into this in one of his books).

I'm not am old guy either, I don't praise the older eras, nor do I watch much black and white boxing. I'm just a guy who is really into the science and knows a bit about sport science and nutrition. Don't be fooled into thinking a guy wouldn't hang in modern boxing just because his technique looked different. Look at the fundamentals and stop trying to validate your generation.

Exactly! Well put.

Comment

"outdated skills and his power would be less impressive due to wearing thicker gloves now".

Louis is far superior to Fury in the skills department. The fact that you don't know that by watching them tells me you know nothing about technique!

ps; the "flat footed stance" is how you ad POWER to your punches. You have less power when your on the move and even on your toes! Again its a techniques skill level you don't understand. I was a boxing trainer for many years and was mentored by some of the greats in boxing as a young kid!

have you tried punching a bag with bare fists, then adding a pound in your hand? You'll be surprised that the larger heavier mass in your hand can match and most times be more effective especially if you have good power.

Ray
                  Its based on the eye test , you show me a video of say Ray Robinson where he looks the GOAT , fact is he beat over 100 cans and I feel the best of the modern era would give him a world of trouble .

Boxing skill technique and conditioning is way ahead of what it was 50 years ago the young fighters today have so much better training and development the speed power ratio is greater today , I personally think the modern era of boxing began with Ali things changed from that time on .

Also it stands to reason that every sporting record has been broken by modern athletes it seems absurd to me that people would think boxing stands still .

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
                    Its based on the eye test , you show me a video of say Ray Robinson where he looks the GOAT , fact is he beat over 100 cans and I feel the best of the modern era would give him a world of trouble .

Boxing skill technique and conditioning is way ahead of what it was 50 years ago the young fighters today have so much better training and development the speed power ratio is greater today , I personally think the modern era of boxing began with Ali things changed from that time on .

Also it stands to reason that every sporting record has been broken by modern athletes it seems absurd to me that people would think boxing stands still .
                    I agree. These worshippers of old-school fighters reminds me of neo-Nazis, they just can't accept the past for what it was.

Comment

Ray
                      Dude, what a bunch of ***** to write, seriously. I know enough about boxing to see how unskilled Louis is when he stands planted like a tree with his head wide open while journeyman Walcott knocks him down with a hook that could be seen miles away. Such dangerous defensive flaws would be a serious handicap in modern heavyweight, which is filled with powerful punches.

Comment

Working...
                      X