No announcement yet.

Old legends and padded records

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old legends and padded records

First of, I respect guys like Joe Louis and Sugar Ray Robinson, they did the best they could for their time and they did good. But the fact is, they boxed in horrible eras, when technique was not yet developed properly, you can see how flatfooted Joe Louis was.

I respect them for what they did back then, but when people talk like they would beat newer and more proven boxers, then it really annoys me. The thing is, I like to stay realistic.

To me, it doesn't matter if a boxer can get an insane record by beating 100s of trashcans for many years in a row. To me, it matters what kind of opposition a boxer has faced.

Joe Louis and Sugar Ray Robinson never defeated anyone that would be considered good today. They are, by modern standards, unproven. Deontay Wilder would have KOed all of Joe Louis's opponents and Sugar Ray Robinson would crumble if he ever fought Marvin Hagler, it would be too big of a step up from the weak opposition he was used to. It would be like Bute-Froch.

Quality means more than quantity and I think it's about time that we accept the old legends as masters OF THEIR TIME, instead of embarassing ourselves by talking like they would be unbeatable machines today when even a casual fan can see how far behind they would be today.

Let's respect them for what they were and not make them out to be something they are not. They never beat anyone good, so why talk like they would suddenly be able to beat all of the newer, bigger, stronger and more skillfully well-developed guys?

I think people in general have a tendency to overrate legends, in any matter.

For example, I absolutely LOVE Bruce Lee, but people think he is unbeatable. Mike Tyson would absolutely slaughter him in a street fight, due to superior size, weight and power and it's not like Tyson isn't skilled at fighting or far behind in the speed department. He also practiced muay thai / kickboxing a bit, so he wouldn't be completely clueless about how to protect himself against kicks. Realistically, Tyson would murder Bruce Lee in a street fight. I love Bruce Lee movies and Bruce Lee philosophy, but unless he and Tyson were at the same size and unless Bruce Lee actually fought professionally, then no, Bruce wouldn't stand a chance. And I say that as a great fan of his.

Comment

Why not go take vsome boxing lessons and learn just what it takes to try and compete before you start knocking great fighters.
      If you think that Robinson never fought quality you really need some history lessons sonny.

Louis was in a minor era however he took on all comers and fought 25 title defenses. Four of his prime years were taken from him because of a "little" thing called World War Two!!!!

We might be at the point of testing new members for elroidtarded and juggynutz.

This is just getting really old.
      Sorry OP but your just looking for attention theres no other reason to talk down about boxings greats! Go Away!!

Ray

Comment

You gotta be careful with stuff like this, especially regarding the Old Guards.

It is a fact that writers back then had their favorites and were paid off by the fighters teams to write about the fighters in a ridiculous glowing light and that is all a lot of people nowadays have to go back on, those "skewed" words about how legendary those guys were.

When in regards to their records, the only way you can truly judge whether you believe they are padded is by watching the old tapes, reading the old magazines and papers etc.

Me personally, I've always said that in boxing, no one fought everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
          Why not go take vsome boxing lessons and learn just what it takes to try and compete before you start knocking great fighters.
          If you think that Robinson never fought quality you really need some history lessons sonny.

Louis was in a minor era however he took on all comers and fought 25 title defenses. Four of his prime years were taken from him because of a "little" thing called World War Two!!!!

We might be at the point of testing new members for elroidtarded and juggynutz.

This is just getting really old.
          Sorry OP but your just looking for attention theres no other reason to talk down about boxings greats! Go Away!!

Ray
          I would never knock Louis or Robinson, why would I have any interest in that? They helped shaping the sport that I love. I just try to be realistic.

If we took Joe Louis from a time machine and pitted him against Tyson Fury today, then Louis wouldn't stand a chance. He would be too small, too flat-footed due to outdated skills and his power would be less impressive due to wearing thicker gloves now.

If Joe Louis was born in the modern era, though, it would be different. He would be competive. He would have knowledge of modern boxing skills, he would have modern and scientifically superior training, he would be able to box at cruiserweight to eliminate his size disadvantage, etc. If Joe Louis was born in recent times, he could very well be one of the best cruiserweights ever.
          Last edited by TheBoxingXpert; 04-02-2016, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoxingXpert View Post
            I would never knock Louis or Robinson, why would I have any interest in that? They helped shaping the sport that I love. I just try to be realistic.

If we took Joe Louis from a time machine and pitted him against Tyson Fury today, then Louis wouldn't stand a chance. He would be too small, too flat-footed due to outdated skills and his power would be less impressive due to wearing thicker gloves now.

If Joe Louis was born in the modern era, though, it would be different. He would be competive. He would have knowledge of modern boxing skills, he would have modern and scientifically superior training, he would be able to box at cruiserweight to eliminate his size disadvantage, etc. If Joe Louis was born in recent times, he could very well be one of the best cruiserweights ever.
            But what if we were to warp Louis for example into this era but give him modern day science, nutrition and training in top of his already pre-existing skills? Ali was mad rapid in his prime but imagine how much faster he could potentially be with modern day science and nutrition. It becomes an interesting prospect imo. Just some food for thought man.

EDIT - ahhh just seen you answer the question above

Comment

To claim Sugar Ray Robinson would crumble against Marvin Hagler is ludicrous. It would be a hell of a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by The Akbar One View Post
                To claim Sugar Ray Robinson would crumble against Marvin Hagler is ludicrous. It would be a hell of a fight.
                How do you know that? Who did SRR fight that was even 10% the fighter that Hagler was?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoxingXpert View Post
                  First of, I respect guys like Joe Louis and Sugar Ray Robinson, they did the best they could for their time and they did good. But the fact is, they boxed in horrible eras, when technique was not yet developed properly, you can see how flatfooted Joe Louis was.

I respect them for what they did back then, but when people talk like they would beat newer and more proven boxers, then it really annoys me. The thing is, I like to stay realistic.

To me, it doesn't matter if a boxer can get an insane record by beating 100s of trashcans for many years in a row. To me, it matters what kind of opposition a boxer has faced.

Joe Louis and Sugar Ray Robinson never defeated anyone that would be considered good today. They are, by modern standards, unproven. Deontay Wilder would have KOed all of Joe Louis's opponents and Sugar Ray Robinson would crumble if he ever fought Marvin Hagler, it would be too big of a step up from the weak opposition he was used to. It would be like Bute-Froch.

Quality means more than quantity and I think it's about time that we accept the old legends as masters OF THEIR TIME, instead of embarassing ourselves by talking like they would be unbeatable machines today when even a casual fan can see how far behind they would be today.

Let's respect them for what they were and not make them out to be something they are not. They never beat anyone good, so why talk like they would suddenly be able to beat all of the newer, bigger, stronger and more skillfully well-developed guys?
                  pure brilliance

Comment

Originally posted by Dean_Razorback View Post
                    pure brilliance
                    Thanks and I really hate that it's neccessary to say such things, as it makes me sound like a hater, while I just try to be fair. I mean, for how long are modern proven warriors supposed to stand in the shadow of guys who only fought tomato cans?

Comment

Working...
                    X