Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wilder is 36-0 with 35 KO's yet he's not a star?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilder is 36-0 with 35 KO's yet he's not a star?

Why is this kid not a star like Tyson and Holyfield were back in the day? You'd think he'd be all over ESPN every time he fought like Tyson used to be...

He's an Olympic medal winner, and has the highest KO % in boxing I'm guessing amongst guys with 30+ fights...

Is it because boxing is just a niche sport these days? Wilder has the personality to draw people in like Tyson did yet he's a virtual nobody outside of big fans of the sport..

What has to change to bring back the days where an American Heavyweight Champ is a household name? Everyone knew who Ali,Frazier,Foreman,Holmes,Tyson,Holyfield were....now people couldn't pick Wilder out of a lineup...

fighting bums will do that to you.

Comment

The great heavyweights in the past all had very good amateur backgrounds and were well known before they even turned pro.

And they also had a strong division and many contenders and older champions to build their name off of. Wilder only has a few good potential opponents mainly Povetkin, but we're not even sure how sincere his team is in fighting him.

Comment

Joshua is already a bigger name than Wilder and he's only been in the game for 5 minutes lol.

Wilder just needs a big win, then casuals will start taking notice.

Comment

Originally posted by denium View Post
          Joshua is already a bigger name than Wilder and he's only been in the game for 5 minutes lol.

Wilder just needs a big win, then casuals will start taking notice.
          It's true...but it seem to me, being American, that the UK is way more fanatical about boxing then us...seems like UFC is taking over now, especially with the young crowd...when I watch fights from the UK, like Framtopn-Quigg, or the Last Joshua fight, I'm amazed at the atmosphere in the arena with the chanting and stuff...I wanna go to a fight over there so bad, hopefully I can do it someday...

Comment

Padded record. Didn't beat Klitschko, the true champion, for the title. It wasn't until a few years ago that more people started talking about him, and even back then there was a lot of talk about his inflated record and questions about his chin. However, he does have potential to be a star. Once the boxing world is convinced he's a star, the casuals will follow.

Comment

I think he's too flawed of a fighter. He's not that good. In fact the HW division is just full of flawed fighters. I think Joshua have a chance to be a star and that's just because of his body.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
                It's true...but it seem to me, being American, that the UK is way more fanatical about boxing then us...seems like UFC is taking over now, especially with the young crowd...when I watch fights from the UK, like Framtopn-Quigg, or the Last Joshua fight, I'm amazed at the atmosphere in the arena with the chanting and stuff...I wanna go to a fight over there so bad, hopefully I can do it someday...
                Yeah the sport seems to be thriving here, since Froch-Groves II it's been crazy.

Comment

He ain't fought nobody, no memorable fights, no celebrity gossip, not from a big media city, nothing to appeal in the mainstream, no major rival.

Right now he's like Michael Grant.

Comment

holyfields early career at cruiserweight alone > wilders whole career so far

by the time he retired he had 5 or 6 of wilders careers under his belt
                    not comparable at all

Comment

Working...
                    X