Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wilder is 36-0 with 35 KO's yet he's not a star?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Russ. View Post
    I dont get why fans hate on wilder. He knocks out everyone they put in front of him and has only been boxing since like 18 or 19. Dude is learning on the job and still never fails to put on an exciting fight.
    I like Wilder more with every fight that he has. His last fight against Szpilka impressed me. He was fighting an awkward and difficult fighter but Deontay showed the smarts to use his height and reach advantage. Sure, he made some mistakes but he did very well that night. Also, I think Wilder has shown he's got a lot of heart so far. That's really important. If he keeps fighting like this and he shows a classy attitude then I'm going to be a big fan of his.

Comment

• Originally posted by BennyBlanco
      Quote:

Originally Posted by Public_Enemy

On the surface, 36-0 with 35 ko's is impressive but when we take a deeper look Wilder's resume is lacking. Wilder is a title holder and a top five HW but the American audience hasn't bought into him yet. It also doesn't help that the best fighter he faced was the fighter he couldn't knockout. Wilder did answer some questions about himself in that fight, however. Many people thought he would lose.

The other top fighters in the division are not American. Wilder may have to travel for most of his biggest fights. Defeating Povetkin and then the Fury/Klitschko winner will legitimize him as a champion and should also make him a star. It would help his cause if there was a popular heavyweight for him to challenge though.

It would've been better if Wilder built his resume fighting better American heavyweights like Cunningham, Jennings and Thompson.

Wilder-Szpilka drew 13,000 people to Barclays Center. The number of fighters who can sell 13,000 tickets in the U.S. can be counted on one hand (or at most 7 fingers). He's not a star? By current standards he definitely is.

"...better heavyweights like Cunningham, Jennings and Thompson"????? You're joking, right?
      - Cunningham lost to every decent heavyweight he faced. People would have said Wilder cherrypicked a smaller guy had he fought Cunningham.
      - Thompson? The 44-year-old guy who lost on Bounce TV his last time out? Yeah, great resume-builder.
      Wilder didn't draw 13,000 fans, they were all Poles out supporting Szpilka. Wilder has no fans.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

• Originally posted by denium View Post
        Wilder didn't draw 13,000 fans, they were all Poles out supporting Szpilka. Wilder has no fans.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
        He won the Poles! they are in the Squad now!

Comment

• Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
          Wilder has a great resume. He has 5 wins (4 by KO) vs. top 50 heavyweights.
          http://boxrec.com/records?reset=1&se...weight&status=

Top 10:
          Malik Scott #9

Top 20:
          Bermane Stiverne #18

Top 30:
          Artur Szpilka #27

Top 40:
          Johann Duhaupas #38

Top 50:
          Eric Molina #43
          I think Deontay Wilder now has the best heavyweight resume in boxing. After yesterday's fights, BoxRec has elevated both Molina and Duhaupas into their top 20. So Wilder has 4 wins vs. top 20 heavyweights.

Comment

I think Deontay Wilder now has the best heavyweight resume in boxing. After yesterday's fights, BoxRec has elevated both Molina and Duhaupas into their top 20. So Wilder has 4 wins vs. top 20 heavyweights.
            and after Povetkin, he will have the best resume in the heavyweight division BOOOOMB SQUUUUUAAAD

Comment

Originally posted by ..,Krusher,.. View Post
              and after Povetkin, he will have the best resume in the heavyweight division BOOOOMB SQUUUUUAAAD
              Wladimir Klitschko has the best resume in boxing by a million miles.

Comment

• Once he adopts the Kovalev mindset where he KO's people in their country, he will be a star.

Comment

• Originally posted by fourtheboys96 View Post
                  KOed bums towards the titld shots.

Defended against mediocrd opponents. How can he be a star?
                  Even in KO wins, he looked bad.
                  if dou-slap-us made wilder look like a gargoyle he will be in trouble with povetkin

Comment

• Originally posted by deanrw View Post
                    He only started fighting live bodies when he fought stiverne. Give him time. If he gets past Povetkin many more will take notice, and so on.
                    imagine the state of boxing and the fans to where a guy becomes heavyweight champ THEN starts to learn to fight???

Comment

• You don't become a "star" over night, it takes some time and Wilder is well on his way to become one.

Comment

Working...
                      X